Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 11:50 AM

60 posts, read 155,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnetworking View Post
I am renting out my 1-BR condo in Hackensack, all utilities included. 20-25 mins express bus to port authority.
My problem is that my lease is not up until October 24th, so a few months until then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 07:09 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,827,755 times
We are planning to rent it out 9/15. As we are moving to our new house 9/1.

I think you can find a great price condo not far from NYC for much cheaper rent.

Wish you best of luck

Old 08-04-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnetworking View Post
We are planning to rent it out 9/15. As we are moving to our new house 9/1.

I think you can find a great price condo not far from NYC for much cheaper rent.

Wish you best of luck
Thank you so much! And good luck with renting out the condo. Worse comes to worse and it's October, maybe we can work something out!

Old 08-04-2012, 11:17 AM

1,202 posts, read 3,029,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sungerle View Post
Right - anywhere New Brunswick and up on the NEC would be less than an hour, which is fine. I only despised the Raritan Valley commute because I had to transfer at Newark which was a pain. I would be fine with an hour commute as long as it was direct.

I imagine, though, that East Rutherford would require a car?
You actually could possibly get away without a car in East Rutherford or Rutherford. Grocery shopping might be a chore depending on where you live, the Stop & Shop in Carlstadt could be a bit of a hike. Fresh Direct might deliver though, I used that for a while in Brooklyn and it was pretty great. But we walk just about everywhere in town, we're about 5 mins walking to Park Ave, 10 mins to the train station on the Rutherford border, all the restaurants and bars in both towns are in walking distance.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:54 PM

565 posts, read 722,634 times
I live in Jersey City and it's great. You absolutely don't need a car here, although it's easier to have a car here than NYC. If you live in Newport or Exchange area (or heck, anywhere around grove or Paulus Hooks) you can take the light rail, Path, or walk to the grocery store or target. We have bikes and we take them everywhere...and I have a basket on my bike for groceries too.

Hamilton park and Grove will be cheaper areas but still safe, whereas exchange and newport are more expensive but deals can be had in the older buildings. We live in the border of Newport and Exchange, and my fiance commutes to midtown every day on the Path. An unlimited monthly Path pass is only $65, so much cheaper than no transit.

I really like it here...we're both 32, professional, mixed race couple for background info.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:23 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,618,955 times
Default where to move

I am currently living in North Jersey (Bergen county) and absolutely love the place. Round the clock buses that go into NYC everyday. Takes anywhere from 30-45 mins depending on traffic. You could definitely find a studio for $1200-$1300. Could definitely also find a great apartment share for 800-1000.

I would look into Cliffside Park, Weehawken, Fort Lee, and Edgewater. Very beautiful & safe areas with lots of great restaurants, bars, and amenities. No need for an automobile if going into the city.

Good luck!!

Old 08-05-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
I am currently living in North Jersey (Bergen county) and absolutely love the place. Round the clock buses that go into NYC everyday. Takes anywhere from 30-45 mins depending on traffic. You could definitely find a studio for $1200-$1300. Could definitely also find a great apartment share for 800-1000.

I would look into Cliffside Park, Weehawken, Fort Lee, and Edgewater. Very beautiful & safe areas with lots of great restaurants, bars, and amenities. No need for an automobile if going into the city.

Good luck!!
I LOVE Edgewater! My problem is that I want to live on River Road.. Port Imperial.. luxury... sigh. Love that area so much (I won't complain about the PF Changs either). Definitely have looked at Edgewater, but will open up the search to the surrounding areas. I know Edgewater is close to that shopping center (well 2 actually I guess... the big one near the Barnes & Noble and then the town center-like one with Panera.. shoe stores.. I forget, but parking underneath and apartments on top of the stores). I can see no automobile for going into the city... but what about on regular basis? Groceries.. entertainment etc?

Just CANNOT do a share anymore ! Too many years of having a roommate! I know most of you probably want to tell me to shut it and suck it up... but that's seriously one of the big reasons I want to move out of NYC!

Old 08-05-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenaperture View Post
You actually could possibly get away without a car in East Rutherford or Rutherford. Grocery shopping might be a chore depending on where you live, the Stop & Shop in Carlstadt could be a bit of a hike. Fresh Direct might deliver though, I used that for a while in Brooklyn and it was pretty great. But we walk just about everywhere in town, we're about 5 mins walking to Park Ave, 10 mins to the train station on the Rutherford border, all the restaurants and bars in both towns are in walking distance.
Ah, didn't know Fresh Direct was offered in NJ - currently use it now downtown since we have NO grocery stores besides an overpriced market and a seedy Gristedes, both of which are about a 15 min walk (no problem until you are carrying heavy bags). I can look into that, and would really be the biggest reason for having a car outside the commute..

Never really knew much about Rutherford, but thanks for the suggestion - will take a look!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey