Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 10:41 AM

219 posts, read 541,871 times

Advertisements

a "hard job" (long commute, long hours at the job site, physical inactivity - due to the long hours or crazy schedules, little to no family quality time, etc) earning much more dollars after expenses (for fun/investment/bling/bragging rights)?

Keeping in mind you'll have either the time but not the money, or the money but not the time...

(A or B only please, in this economy not everyone can have the dream job...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 11:24 AM

20 posts, read 64,022 times
I currently have a job that I like, 15min from home, 5 min from my daughters day care. It pays ok but nothing extraordinary (considering all the work i put into my economics degree). I thought I would be able to find a home with my income (and my wife's) but now I'm beginning to think it will be impossible.

So now I'm considering finding another job with better pay, which will most likely mean a hell of a commute, less time with my daughter and wife, stress, more grey hairs, weight gain, etc etc, just to have a house of my own and so that I can have another child.

I pick C: Having rich parents.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:06 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,463,113 times
It depends a whole lot on what rung of the economic ladder you're on. Is your salary going from $20,000 to $40,000? Then absolutely, take the higher paying job because it will make your life as a whole significantly easier, no matter how hard the job is. From $100,000 to $120,000? Tougher decision. At that level of salary, $20,000 isn't likely to make a huge difference in your life. From $250,000 to $270,000? Not a chance.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:53 PM

219 posts, read 541,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
It depends a whole lot on what rung of the economic ladder you're on. Is your salary going from $20,000 to $40,000? Then absolutely, take the higher paying job because it will make your life as a whole significantly easier, no matter how hard the job is. From $100,000 to $120,000? Tougher decision. At that level of salary, $20,000 isn't likely to make a huge difference in your life. From $250,000 to $270,000? Not a chance.
True, but my assumption was the first "nice job" covered all expenses then a little but not much after. In NJ I don't think $20,000 would cut it, and still have peace of mind. Of course if a spouse is raking in $75,000 or more then it would skew the answers a bit.

How about a job that covers modest rent, utilities, daycare, student loans (if applicable), minimal cook at home meals, but little more, say for vacation once a year, or travel on day trips or "single nights out", or clubbing, etc, BUT being the relatively greatest job to working at?

Old 08-11-2012, 02:53 PM

402 posts, read 752,482 times
I'd rather have a paid of mortgage and not worry. lol

Old 08-11-2012, 07:53 PM

225 posts, read 721,529 times
If job A covered my expenses and left me with some for savings, I'd go with that.
A stressful job with long hours and no time to enjoy your money--too much time wasted for the short lives we live.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:47 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,326,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersied View Post
a "hard job" (long commute, long hours at the job site, physical inactivity - due to the long hours or crazy schedules, little to no family quality time, etc) earning much more dollars after expenses (for fun/investment/bling/bragging rights)?

Keeping in mind you'll have either the time but not the money, or the money but not the time...

(A or B only please, in this economy not everyone can have the dream job...)

Depends on the spread between the two...if it is a modest differentential, then job "A"...if the spread is substaintial, then easily job "B".

Old 08-13-2012, 11:25 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,157,110 times
Either way I would be looking for a new job. Something in between.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:57 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,620,994 times
Work Job B for 3-5 years....build savings/pay off debt........then look for new employment like Job A.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:32 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,707,466 times
Well, it's tough without knowing the essentials of each job, or the overall situation. Regardless though, it is all about your position in life. I worked a "B" job for several years before I started to feel like the pay wasn't worth the hassle and time. I then got a job that was somewhat in between "A" and "B". Now, I have what is solidly an "A" job, but it suits my current situation. I have three young kids and my wife stays at home. I make enough to cover our expenses and pay for a few extras, but we are not able to do everything we want and occasionally find ourselves counting the change in the couch cushions.

I have had the opportunity to take jobs that paid upwards of 25%-30% more then I am making, but all of those jobs came with much more responsibility and time commitments. I currently leave my job and it doesn't follow me home. I work 8:30a-5p with an hour for lunch and actually have my weekends off. I take time off and I don't walk into a pile of crap on my desk and 20 fires to be put out. My son has a baseball game at five, I can leave at 3:30 and no one cares. I'm expected to do my job and I do it very well, but that's it. For me and my family, we are much more comfortable with me making less in the "A" job, then we would be with me never being home, but making more money at a "B" job.

Of course, that is my unique situation. My "A" could be someone else's "B" for all I know. It ultimately comes down to a work/life balance. Right now, I'm a little more interested in life then I am in work, but I have the luxury of doing that because I still make enough to keep a roof over our heads and food on the table. I think the "B" moment for our family is going to be when my wife chooses to go back to work when the kids are a little older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey