Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2012, 08:00 AM

335 posts, read 975,324 times

Advertisements

Any input to this question would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 08:07 AM

456 posts, read 833,888 times
tough one. ridgewood has pretty nice downtown I would say.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:11 AM

1,602 posts, read 4,161,842 times
Englewood is beautiful, and has great shopping - very upscale, restaurants and stores.

Ridgewood, Tenafly, Westwood, Montvale has a small area called, "Tices Corner".

Overall, I think Ridgewood is the nicest- shopping, and family-oriented town.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:55 AM

456 posts, read 833,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post
Englewood is beautiful, and has great shopping - very upscale, restaurants and stores.

Englewood is interesting. On one side of Englewood is the richer, whiter area, and right when you cross a line, Englewood becomes poorer, more minorities. A very interesting case of self-segregation.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:32 AM

1,271 posts, read 3,234,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maast View Post
Englewood is interesting. On one side of Englewood is the richer, whiter area, and right when you cross a line, Englewood becomes poorer, more minorities. A very interesting case of self-segregation.
It's not self-segregation when economics prevents one of the two groups from integrating. You can bet the mostly black and Hispanic residents would love for Englewood to be integrated.

Anyway, Englewood's downtown is amazing, regardless of the local residential dynamics. In my opinion the best in Bergen County, though Ridgewood is comparable.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:37 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,031,039 times
The ones listed above are indeed great. Also Teaneck's strip along Cedar Lane is nice, and Hillsdale has a decent little strip. Park Ave in Rutherford is great and extends across the tracks a bit into East Rutherford (where the bars are). For the most part, Bergen County towns seem to lack traditional downtowns, but there are certainly some nice ones out there.

Old 09-02-2012, 02:10 PM

88,632 posts, read 84,895,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maast View Post
I don't think it's self-segregation. My BIL is African-American and grew up in Englewood. His family has been in Englewood for around 150 years. The segregation probably goes way back.

I do like their downtown shopping area. I didn't even know it existed until my daughter spied a certain dress in a magazine she wanted for her senior prom, and an Englewood shop was the closest place that carried it. It was fun to window shop along the street.

Old 09-02-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post

So, so sad to read that for those of us who remember Tice's Farm.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:53 PM

291 posts, read 977,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
So, so sad to read that for those of us who remember Tice's Farm.
And DePiero's farm land is soon going to be a Wegman's. I love Wegman's, but it's still sad.

Old 09-02-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjersey View Post
And DePiero's farm land is soon going to be a Wegman's. I love Wegman's, but it's still sad.
Oh, noooooooooooooooooooo. Took my daughter and her friends there for Halloween once, after Tice's and Van Riper's was gone.

Well, I'm in Monmouth County now, and there are still farms nearby. For now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey