Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 09:40 AM

2 posts, read 13,713 times

Advertisements

bump
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 10:14 AM

217 posts, read 821,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAodh View Post
I don't know if you're still looking into this, but I live on the east side of Oakland and work in Manhattan. The best way I've found to do the commute is the NJ Transit trains from Waldwick. It's a pretty short drive, parking is reasonable ($2/day at the meters, $250/year if you can get a parking pass), and there are a lot of trains. You can take them into Hoboken and get across the river on the PATH, or transfer in Secaucus and grab a train into Penn Station.

Of course I'm writing this just after hurricane Sandy hit, the trains are very limited, and I'm now taking the bus from the Coppertree mall. Given the choice I'll take the train any day; can't wait till their back up and running.
It's been a year so I thought I'd respond as I have some insight. My wife and I both currently drive to Ramsey R17 and take the express into Seacucus/Hoboken. What advantage is there to driving to Waldwick?

Old 01-03-2014, 02:01 AM

13 posts, read 25,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAgosto View Post
It's been a year so I thought I'd respond as I have some insight. My wife and I both currently drive to Ramsey R17 and take the express into Seacucus/Hoboken. What advantage is there to driving to Waldwick?
There are many answers to this one and it all comes down to preference.

1st : Where In Oakland do you live?

A. North of 287 off 202

B. South of 287 off 202

C. East Oakland by Franklin Lakes

If the answer is A then Ramsey Route 17 is probably your best bet. (Although personally I'd hate to drive north to commute south.)

If the answer is B or C, Waldwick is an okay choice. Parking is decent but most of the trains there take just as long as Ramsey if not longer.

My preferred pick would be Radburn-Fair Lawn right off 208.

Traffic getting there looks HORRIFIC but in reality it may take an extra 10 minutes.

When I travel there's no traffic from my house (I live in Wayne just over the Oakland Border) it takes me 15 minutes from my house to the parking lot at Radburn.

Parking at Radburn is permit only with the exception of 20-30 spaces after 10am.

There is also a NJT lot 3 blocks away right next to 208 entrance. Permit as well.

Permit Parking 188$ a year non resident.

Monthly Pass

Radburn $208
Walwick $ 284
Ramsey $ 324

Parking

Radburn $188
Waldwick. $2 a day
$250 (as quoted by previous poster)
Ramsey If its 60$ a month then $720 a year (ouch)

Before getting Into travel time Radburn alone would save you 532$ in parking and $ 1,392 in rail fare. Over $1,900 a year. (That's a nice weekend getaway and $1,400 less to a patheticly run train agency)

Travel Time

Assuming 20 min drive to Ramsey, Waldwick and 25 to Radburn. Plus 10 minute gap once arriving station.

Oakland House To WTC.

Ramsey. 90 minutes EXPRESS
Waldwick. 95 minutes EXPRESS
Radburn. 80 minutes EXPRESS

This is all rough info. I did reference the timetables.

However I am very familiar with just about every stop on the Main/Bergen and Montclair-Boonton Line (north of bay street) as well as the routes of 193/194/197/198/324 in the Wayne area.

I have been commuting at all hours for the past 10 years.

Any more questions feel free to ask, can try my best to help.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:16 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
A former co-worker who lived in Oakland used to drive to Radburn and commute. I think she also did Glen Rock for a while.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:35 AM

13 posts, read 25,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
A former co-worker who lived in Oakland used to drive to Radburn and commute. I think she also did Glen Rock for a while.
Nice feature with Glen Rock is if your working late you have access to both train lines and the bus. (not as valuable for the wall street gang)

If I'm running early sometimes ill park In Glen Rock just for that dual rail/bus combo.

Train fare is a little higher. (not sure on parking)

Add an extra 5-10 minutes with the Glen Rock commute.

Old 04-14-2019, 07:35 PM

3 posts, read 1,773 times
It's been about 5 years since the last reply on this post. I'd like to ask everyone's opinion again on the commute from Oakland.

If by bus at the copper tree mall park'n ride, if i need to be at PABT at 8:45, which bus (what time) should I take?

What about on return trips around 5:30 from PABT, what time does the bus arrive in Oakland?

Thanks

Old 04-15-2019, 09:19 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrelin View Post
It's been about 5 years since the last reply on this post. I'd like to ask everyone's opinion again on the commute from Oakland.

If by bus at the copper tree mall park'n ride, if i need to be at PABT at 8:45, which bus (what time) should I take?

What about on return trips around 5:30 from PABT, what time does the bus arrive in Oakland?

Thanks
I have no idea what bus line this would be. Do you?

If so, you can look up the schedule.

Old 04-16-2019, 08:31 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,498,135 times
Quote:

Thanks
Check out the schedules. It's Coach/Shortline

https://web.coachusa.com/shortline/s...d=430676389290

Old 05-06-2019, 09:19 PM

3 posts, read 1,773 times
Thanks for the schedule. I was actually looking for a more insider info if someone is making the same commute. I know for many other bus routes in Northern NJ, the arrival time would be off by at least 10 minutes 80% of the time. Friday is generally the only day that it comes close to schedule. Is this the same with this line? The 8:19 arrival more like a 8:30 arrival most of the days?

Old 05-07-2019, 07:38 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,498,135 times
Quote:
Thanks for the schedule. I was actually looking for a more insider info if someone is making the same commute. I know for many other bus routes in Northern NJ, the arrival time would be off by at least 10 minutes 80% of the time. Friday is generally the only day that it comes close to schedule. Is this the same with this line? The 8:19 arrival more like a 8:30 arrival most of the days?
If no one answers on here, I would poke around on Facebook and see if you can find a local Oakland group to ask. I just found one by typing in "Oakland NJ" and then hitting Groups. This forum tends to be more train-centric and I haven't seen a lot of people on here from that area in general.

The other other option would be to go to Copper Tree and wait for people to get off the bus and ask someone how the bus runs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey