Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2012, 08:25 AM

8 posts, read 24,271 times

Advertisements

I'm new here, though I've been poking through the threads to see if somebody else has asked this. I hope my first post is ok!

I am viewing two apartments in Jersey City today:

One near JFK blvd and Jewett Ave
One near JFK Blvd and Thorne street in the Heights

I'd like the forums opinion on those two neighborhoods, as well as suggestions as to other neighborhoods in JC I should look into! I answered the sticky-thread questionnaire below.

Where are you coming from? Westchester, New York

Why are you moving? I live with my mother. There is a distinct possibility one of us may not be of the living variety if I stay much longer...(kidding!). Really, I just can't live there without a car and I'm tired of begging rides from friends. I love the neighborhood, but I just can't stay there.

Where will you be working ? I work in the West Village, off Houston Street.

Will you buy or rent? Rent, but open to buying (super unlikely, given my max budget, but you asked)!

What is your budget ? $900-$1100; or $150,000.00 buying (unlikely, I'm sure).

What kind of place are you looking for ? A studio or one bedroom, something with a nice workable kitchen is key, as I cook a lot.

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? Just 1 small dog, a poodle mix.

Do you need/want good public schools? Nope.

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in: I love Westchester, but it's just not a walkable/commutable neighborhood--you need to have a car and I don't drive. All I'm looking for is a safe neighborhood with ready access to buses and trains, where I can safely walk my dog every night at 10:00pm.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance: Safety, Safety, Walkability.

A little about me: 27 year old Latina female who works in Publishing. I grew up in the South Bronx so I know what living in the hood is like, but I've also been living in Westchester for almost a decade, so while I'm a little street-savvy (and I'm told that being an amazon-sized 5'11" helps), I've got a suburban temperament. Having a small dog (with appropriately sized bladder) means I need to take him out at 10:00PM every single night for his before-bed walk without fail, which makes living in rougher but more affordable neighborhoods a little like playing Russian roulette (though he is a loud alert-barker when people approach me, so there is that....). Jersey City seems like the most bank for my limited buck, so I'm hoping you all can help point me in the right direction.

Thank you all so much!

Last edited by karikinetic; 09-28-2012 at 08:37 AM.. Reason: Formatted my questionnaire answers for easier reading and added details that I should have really included before
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 11:48 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,322,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karikinetic View Post
I'm new here, though I've been poking through the threads to see if somebody else has asked this. I hope my first post is ok!

I am viewing two apartments in Jersey City today:

One near JFK blvd and Jewett Ave
One near JFK Blvd and Thorne street in the Heights

I'd like the forums opinion on those two neighborhoods, as well as suggestions as to other neighborhoods in JC I should look into! I answered the sticky-thread questionnaire below.

Where are you coming from? Westchester, New York

Why are you moving? I live with my mother. There is a distinct possibility one of us may not be of the living variety if I stay much longer...(kidding!). Really, I just can't live there without a car and I'm tired of begging rides from friends. I love the neighborhood, but I just can't stay there.

Where will you be working ? I work in the West Village, off Houston Street.

Will you buy or rent? Rent, but open to buying (super unlikely, given my max budget, but you asked)!

What is your budget ? $900-$1100; or $150,000.00 buying (unlikely, I'm sure).

What kind of place are you looking for ? A studio or one bedroom, something with a nice workable kitchen is key, as I cook a lot.

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? Just 1 small dog, a poodle mix.

Do you need/want good public schools? Nope.

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in: I love Westchester, but it's just not a walkable/commutable neighborhood--you need to have a car and I don't drive. All I'm looking for is a safe neighborhood with ready access to buses and trains, where I can safely walk my dog every night at 10:00pm.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance: Safety, Safety, Walkability.

A little about me: 27 year old Latina female who works in Publishing. I grew up in the South Bronx so I know what living in the hood is like, but I've also been living in Westchester for almost a decade, so while I'm a little street-savvy (and I'm told that being an amazon-sized 5'11" helps), I've got a suburban temperament. Having a small dog (with appropriately sized bladder) means I need to take him out at 10:00PM every single night for his before-bed walk without fail, which makes living in rougher but more affordable neighborhoods a little like playing Russian roulette (though he is a loud alert-barker when people approach me, so there is that....). Jersey City seems like the most bank for my limited buck, so I'm hoping you all can help point me in the right direction.

Thank you all so much!
I don't think you will anything to buy at that budget...at least not in area of JC where you would want to live. I think you will be able to find a place to rent. The access to downtown Manhattan is fantastic, the waterfront is really gorgeous. View of Manhattan is breath taking. I really like downtown JC. Hopefully, you find something you like...you will definitely enjoy it here if you make the move. My GF and I almost never drive anymore and we have two parking spots. Our cars are gathering dust!

Old 09-28-2012, 12:43 PM

551 posts, read 1,187,961 times
The Thorne St by JFK would be my recommendation from the 2 you listed, reason being much more safer, much more walkable to everything - including 5 min jitney buses to JSQ from there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: