Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2012, 01:27 PM

4 posts, read 25,250 times

Advertisements

So my husband and I are thinking about moving to the port Monmouth Middletown area in NJ? Any one have a suggestions on whether it's safe? How's the area? We found a house and want to put a offer in but want to make sure the neighborhood and surrounding areas are nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 03:26 PM

17 posts, read 49,473 times
The area is 'safe' from a city perspective, but it's not a rural area by any means. I live in Middletown off RT 35 near Whole Foods and have travelled the town widely on my bicycle at all hours of the day and have'nt found any areas I would not live in. I don't seek out 'bad areas' to pass through, but often times my bike rides take me on streets I've never been on before. Safe is relative to where one is moving from and to. I moved from NYC to here I think the place is Paradise! Yes, the commute back by train can have it's days, but it's MUCH safer to live in Middletown than NYC IMHO!

Old 10-03-2012, 06:48 PM

Good to know thank you very much!!

Old 10-04-2012, 07:15 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbonilla1217 View Post
So my husband and I are thinking about moving to the port Monmouth Middletown area in NJ? Any one have a suggestions on whether it's safe? How's the area? We found a house and want to put a offer in but want to make sure the neighborhood and surrounding areas are nice.
I think that section is pretty decent. Middletown is an enormous township, as you probably know, ranging from very wealthy a la Navesink to lower middle-class in North Middletown, formerly known as East Keansburg. But I know a cop who lives in North Middletown because he grew up there and lives in the house his grandfather built, and he's happy there. There really isn't any "bad" section of Middletown.

I am about fifteen minutes south of Middletown. Eastern Monmouth County is a great area, lots to do, everything available and still an easy trip to the city. Best of all--there's the Atlantic Ocean. You can't get much better than that for location, IMO!

Old 10-04-2012, 10:54 AM

Thank you we put an offer in the house and it was accepted!

Old 10-06-2012, 12:53 PM

1 posts, read 6,269 times
You should be aware that parts of Port Monmouth are in a flood plain. Your flood insurance will be based upon how many feet above sea level your living space is located. The locals refer to the north side of Rt. 36 as the "wet side" and the area south of Rt 36 as the "dry side". There are areas on the dry side that flood and when Irene passed through last year some homes had water in them. In 1992, a Nor'easter caused extensive flooding. Many people had flooded homes and lost their cars. If the wind is strong enough and it persists for a long time the back bays can receive the worst flooding.

I believe it was 1992 when Hurricane Donna came to town. Boats from the Gateway Marina in Port Monmouth ended up at the corner of Rt 36 and Main St. The surge took the boats inland and when it left it took the docks out into the bay.
I don't mean to scare you but you should be aware if you are in the flood plain.
Is the house north or south of Rt 36?

Old 10-06-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by local Guy View Post
You should be aware that parts of Port Monmouth are in a flood plain. Your flood insurance will be based upon how many feet above sea level your living space is located. The locals refer to the north side of Rt. 36 as the "wet side" and the area south of Rt 36 as the "dry side". There are areas on the dry side that flood and when Irene passed through last year some homes had water in them. In 1992, a Nor'easter caused extensive flooding. Many people had flooded homes and lost their cars. If the wind is strong enough and it persists for a long time the back bays can receive the worst flooding.

I believe it was 1992 when Hurricane Donna came to town. Boats from the Gateway Marina in Port Monmouth ended up at the corner of Rt 36 and Main St. The surge took the boats inland and when it left it took the docks out into the bay.
I don't mean to scare you but you should be aware if you are in the flood plain.
Is the house north or south of Rt 36?
north there wasn't any flooding in the past looked into it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey