Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2010, 11:48 AM

17 posts, read 30,152 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering on moving to Plainfield. Were looking in the NETHERWOODS HGTS, SLEEPY HOLLOW LN, and LELAND AVE. as potential locations in Plainfield. I have a couple of inquiries:

* First how is the commuting from those area? I know your on the
Raritan Valley Line on NJ Transit, can you walk to the station, is there
a Jitney in the area?

* I would like to know if there are any revitalization plans for Plainfield?
Examples would be like the downtown area of Westfield, South
Orange, Montclair, Maplewood Twnship, all these areas have a
downtwn destination for the town. Whether it's resturants, book
stores, apparel shops, or spas. It adds to the growth and the
attractiveness of the town. Is there potential of this happening in
Plainfield?

I've read various comments here on the blogs of the good, bad, and ugly of Plainfield. Were leaving JC, we've lived in area called Paulus Hook, which was right on the Hudson. My wife commute was about 15min. by ferry to mid-town. The area is outrageously expensive. We wanted to have a home with a yard and lots of greenery which it seems you get out in Plainfield. It seems your dollars go a lot further in terms of what you get in property. What you give up is the accessible commute to NYC. We began our search in Essex County, all I can say is "TAXES". What we liked about the S. Orange, Maplewd, and MtClair areas beside the Mid-town Direct, they had a sense of community where the towns residents and outside residents came together downtown to eat, shop, and relax. Is this a vision for Plainsfield? We like the areas noted above, driving around feels like your at your country resort.

I look forward to all comments. Thank-you.

Atseta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 07:58 PM

3 posts, read 4,914 times
While there is no jitney, there are areas of Netherwood Heights that are very close to the train station and within walking distance.

There are revitalization plans for both downtown and outlying areas. The Plainfield Special Improvement District, comprised of city business owners works with the municipality on development issues, see details here at this link Positively Plainfield, Plainfield Chamber of Commerce, Special Improvement District.

Equally as important are community activities that are supported by both residents and non-residents see this link for examples; Plainfield Symphony Garden Party and BOOK RESTORATION,CONSERVATION & REPAIR HANDS-ON WORKSHOPS. I hope this helps.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:04 PM

17 posts, read 30,152 times
Thank-you Webvendor.. This was helpful. I'm going to look through the link on the revitalization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey