Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 08:13 AM

605 posts, read 2,146,752 times

Advertisements

Our town still has no power. We have a hotel for tonight then we are out tomorrow. I have a toddler and am pregnant with a high risk pregnancy, risk for preterm labor, on bedrest, etc. We are petrified as to where we will be tomorrow, scared of freezing, etc. Meanwhile, people are shopping at the Short Hills mall and going about their lives as normal.

We are still in disaster mode. Others are just doing their thing the next town over. Hard to swallow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 08:32 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
Our town still has no power. We have a hotel for tonight then we are out tomorrow. I have a toddler and am pregnant with a high risk pregnancy, risk for preterm labor, on bedrest, etc. We are petrified as to where we will be tomorrow, scared of freezing, etc. Meanwhile, people are shopping at the Short Hills mall and going about their lives as normal.

We are still in disaster mode. Others are just doing their thing the next town over. Hard to swallow.
There's no reason for people to stay in their homes (which might not have power) if there are businesses open that they can go to.

There are shelters open that you can go to. There is no reason to think you will freeze.

Bernards High School lower gym at 25 Olcott Ave. will be open as a Red Cross-supported shelter for those in need of sleep and a shower for as long as needed. 908-204-1930.

StoneCrest Community Church at 11 Technology Drive, behind the post office off Mt. Bethel Road will serve as an overnight shelter, warming center and charging station. Only a limited number of cots are available. Bring pillow,sheets and blankets and personal items.

Shelter at the Warren County Technical School at 1024 Route 57 in Franklin Township.

Middlesex County officials plan to open a shelter equipped to help about 250 people with special medical needs displaced by Hurricane Sandy from Middlesex, Monmouth and Union counties. The shelter will reportedly be located in the gymnasium at Middlesex County College, 2600 Woodbridge Ave. in Edison.

A regional shelter, which accepts pets, is open at the Cranford Community Center, 220 Walnut St. A shelter is also open at the Emerson Elementary School, 305 Emerson Ave.,Plainfield.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:07 AM

2,210 posts, read 7,024,769 times
Quote:

I hear you. We we t 5 days without power and the strangest thing was living moment to moment with high stress levels while people nearby carried on with minimal inconvenience. Made me realize how much I underestimated the effect of stress on the homeless and extremely poor. I could hardly focus on anything but immediate needs. When the power came on I slept for 11 hours straight.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:35 AM

50,720 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:

I didn't have it nearly as hard as you do (I can't imagine having to go through this during a high-risk pregnancy and with a toddler) but when I finally emerged into the "real" world to go to work Friday (60 miles inland) , I couldn't help thinking the same thing...kids waiting at bus stops, people just going about life..it was kind of weird! I hope you get your power and life back soon.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:45 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,680,039 times
Quote:

Magic, I totally understand and wish you the best. Please try to find warmth. I had a high risk pregnancy, on bedrest (delivered twins prematurely) and I remember the stress, and I didn't have to deal with the aftermath of a major storm. .

The whole "life goes on" is very very hard for me to grasp as well, despite the fact we have power and my neighborhood escaped unscathed. I can't seem to stop focusing on the horror, while I have friends out of the area living life like nothing's happened with not even a mention of the devastation going on here. I of course can't blame them, I did the same through Katrina.

I also remember having these feelings when my parents died. While going through the torture of setting up services, going through belongings, etc and seeing people on the street just living their lives, you want to stop them, shake them and scream "DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND????". It's completely normal.

But please, please try to find comfortable shelter. You can't be suffering in a cold home right now. Please keep in touch.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:51 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
I went back and looked at your posts, I see you are in Morris County. Here are shelters in your immediate area:

• East Hanover: East Hanover Middle School remain open 24 hours a day through Sunday as an emergency shelter, and a place to charge electronic devices. There is water and some food available. Residents can rest there at any time.

Temporary shelter at the Recreation Center at Lurker Park. No pets allowed, cots will be available for sleeping, this location does not have shower facilities.

• Florham Park police said the information and charging station in the pool lot is now closed, the Holy Family will remain open late and the fire department headquarters will be open 24 hours.

• Morristown Fire Department Firehouse, 161 Speedwell Ave. (second floor), 24 hours a day

• East Hanover Middle School: residents only.

• Madison: Madison Ambulance Building (across from Public Safety Building). 25 Beds, food and comfort kits from Red Cross. No animals allowed.

• Madison: Civic Center, Walnut Street

• Mendham Borough: Sisters of Christian Charity

• Mendham Township: Brookside Firehouse

• Montville: The township's comfort centers are being consolidated to Montville Township High School, 100 Horseneck Road. Beginning at 3 p.m. Friday, residents will have access to men's and women's shower facilities, heat, electricity and overnight accommodations, if needed. If you anticipate spending the night at the shelter, bring a sleeping bag, pillows, and any other items of comfort. cots will be available.

• Morris Township: Mennen Arena, located 161 Hanover Ave., has been open since Sunday as a county emergency shelter. Anthony Novellino, shelter supervisor, said at least 90 people wereexpected to use the shelter Thursday night, but wereare beds for at least 140 more individuals. With the Red Cross' assistance and donations from local restaurants, Novellino said the shelter has progressed from rations to hot meals.

According to Morris Township officials on Friday, the shelter is now animal-friendly; bring a cage and the essentials for your animal.

• Mountain Lakes: High School

• Hopatcong: High School, Jefferson and Roxbury residents

• Washington Township: Schooley's Mountain firehouse; residents only

Old 11-04-2012, 09:54 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,658,282 times
Quote:

Go to a shelter. Do you need help finding one?

Also, a lot of people I know who still have no power are going to the malls so they can stay warm, eat a hot meal, and charge electronics.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:36 PM

328 posts, read 1,049,269 times
It is tough and I'm sorry. Do you have friends or family that might have space? I HATE to impose on people but I've found that people really do *want* to help right now. I just posted on my facebook that we were without power and several people posted offers (even people I'm not that close to). I'm pregnant and my husband is activated with the National Guard. I was trying to rough it at home with 3 young kids but it just got too cold. I couldn't keep putting extra blankets on my kids at night in a dark house. I finally took family and friends up on offers for a warm place to stay. I hope the power comes back on for you soon! Half my town has had power for days. We were among the last to get power again (last night). It sucks!

Old 11-04-2012, 07:01 PM

587 posts, read 2,178,037 times
This happens every day without sandy. There will always be people that have it better then the next guy example a homeless person and the guy living in a 7bedroom 5.5 bath home in millburn. Or why is camden more proverish then mendham. Just cause its happening to you now it opened your eyes.

Last edited by mumra; 11-04-2012 at 07:40 PM..

Old 11-04-2012, 08:02 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,807,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Also, a lot of people I know who still have no power are going to the malls so they can stay warm, eat a hot meal, and charge electronics.
Exactly!

I was at a KFC on Saturday. There was a senior couple who still did not have power, so they were wanting a hot meal. They were even asking for hot coffee to warm them up, but KFC doesn't have coffee just cold soda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey