Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2012, 02:51 PM

2,256 posts, read 6,959,243 times

Advertisements

Wondering if anyone can help me here. I bought my short sale condo and closed on it last year 8/19/2011. Just today 11/14/2012 I got a sewage bill...something I've never received before since living here when I closed.

My question is if the north hudson sewage authority was another company I needed to notify along with PSEG and United Water that I was new here or is there some other way they get notified and should've been mailing me the bills all along? I guess unfortunately my realtor missed that in her list of items to get started here if that was supposed to be done along with the power and water.

Anyways I know I'll probably have to pay this bill (Total charges = $412.76...broken down its $289.24 previous balance, $49.96 in interest, with the rest of it current quarterly charges)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 03:07 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,012,251 times
Yep, they should have notified them of your address/ownership. Where were they mailing the bills for the last 5 quarters? I'm willing to bet you can get them to wave the late fees and interest if you ask nicely.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:55 AM

Seems I'm gonna have a fun time trying to get a hold of them...they were indefinitely removed from their flooded place in Hoboken...

Old 11-15-2012, 11:48 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,967,533 times
In my opinion, several parties dropped the ball here, not just your realtor.

Was the balance of the Third Quarter 2011 (August 19 through August 31, 2011, and September 2011) sewer bill listed on your closing papers (the HUD-1)? Your balance for that bill would have been calculated something like this:

You would be responsible for 43 of the 92 days in that Third Quarter (there are 92 days in July, August and September 2011; from August 19 through September 30...the portion of the quarter for which you are responsible...is 43 days).

Unless I am misunderstanding, it seems that according to what you posted, the usual quarterly amount due is $73.56 ("Total charges = $412.76...broken down its $289.24 previous balance, $49.96 in interest, with the rest of it current quarterly charges"). So, you would owe (43/92) X $73.56 = $34.38 for that Third Quarter 2011. Again, this should have been itemized somewhere in your closing docs.

Then, of course, you'd owe $73.56 for Fourth Quarter 2011, First Quarter 2012, Second Quarter 2012, Third Quarter 2012, and now your Fourth Quarter 2012 is due.

If that Third Quarter 2011 sewer bill balance was NOT listed somewhere in your closing docs, the people who possibly dropped the ball, in addition to your realtor, include:

• your real estate attorney
  • the seller's real estate attorney (assuming both you and the seller used an attorney for the transaction)
  • the seller's realtor
  • the seller (the seller would have been responsible for telling North Hudson Sewerage Authority that he is no longer responsible for the sewer bill at 123 Condo Street as of August 19, 2011, and closing out that sewer account in his name)

I'm thinking that your portion of the Third Quarter 2011 sewer bill probably WAS listed on the HUD-1, but your realtor probably forgot to remind you about keeping an eye out for the bill. Having said that, though, I think North Hudson Sewerage Authority is also partly to blame. Where were they sending the Q4 2011, Q1 2012, Q2 2012 and Q3 2012 sewer bills? Technically, it's not their fault, but these municipal entities need to have a better system in place.

Something similar happened to me with the sewer bill when I purchased my current home. In my previous home/town, a separate sewer authority did not exist (the water bill included the sewer fee). So, when I moved, it never even occurred to me to look for a separate sewer bill. Over a YEAR after having moved to my current town, the township sends me a surprise DELINQUENT sewer bill with interest charges. I though it was funny how the township automatically knew I was the new owner at my current address and was mailing me a new property tax bill practically the next WEEK after moving in, but it took the sewer department OVER A YEAR to send me a bill...and then told me I was the one that was delinquent. And not ONCE during that 1+ years did they ever send me a Past Due notice.

Personally, I don't think you should be responsible for the interest, but you know what they say--you can't fight city hall. I know I didn't even bother trying. I just paid it. Although with a note attached informing them that their system sucks.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:28 PM

Thanks for the informative reply! Unfortunately all they reported to me was "Previous Balance" and gave me no itemization breakdown of what that was. I should mention the estimated $73 I owe for the 4Q of 2012 includes a $6 facilities charge. if that matter.

I think I'm going to end up doing the same thing...paying it with a nastygram attached....you're right...you can't fight city hall...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey