Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 11:12 AM

81 posts, read 202,522 times

Advertisements

What was Sandy's impact in NJ in terms of Obama's popularity here and influence on the choice of who they voted on November 6?

I am curious to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 11:34 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,781,978 times
The talk I am hearing is that Sandy won the election for Obama. Not in NJ of course because he would have carried NJ no matter what. It was the photo opps he did with Christy that won him the swing states by fooling people into believing he was on top of things and ready to help. He didn't fool as many people in NY but again he had NY in his pocket anyway so no need to waste time there.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:46 AM

286 posts, read 417,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
The talk I am hearing is that Sandy won the election for Obama. Not in NJ of course because he would have carried NJ no matter what. It was the photo opps he did with Christy that won him the swing states by fooling people into believing he was on top of things and ready to help. He didn't fool as many people in NY but again he had NY in his pocket anyway so no need to waste time there.
This.

I actually do not believe he would have done all of that if not for the election a week later.

He fooled many people, apparently.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:04 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,981,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h1478971 View Post
What was Sandy's impact in NJ in terms of Obama's popularity here and influence on the choice of who they voted on November 6?

I am curious to know.
Here? Impact was meaningless since he was going to easily win NJ anyway.

On the other hand, Christie really improved his standing among many in the state and set himself up well for re-eelection.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:45 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,312,201 times
I really don't think it had that much of an impact nationally. It certainly didn't hurt. But if you look at 538, the tracking polls seemed to show that after that first debate nosedive, Obama was in a slow but steady climb back up for 2-3 weeks before the election.

I don't think the hurricane flipped all of the battleground states. Obama had a slight advantage in most for weeks at least. Romney may have had a shot at VA or CO in the final week but I don't think the outcome would've been different but for Sandy.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:18 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,077,463 times
The numbers guy Nate Silver, who predicted every state correctly, said it may have had a 1% pro-Obama effect, but not enough to swing it either way.

According to Mitt (who's that?) it was all the free stuff.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:23 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Here? Impact was meaningless since he was going to easily win NJ anyway.

On the other hand, Christie really improved his standing among many in the state and set himself up well for re-eelection.
Definitely. And I really think he has softened his hard image considerably. His speeches were to the point - of poignance - at times. With some good use of humor also. I think he is a cinch to be re-elected at this point, if he wants the job. It wouldn't surprise me if a few teachers even voted for him.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:29 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,077,463 times
He even managed to p*ss off some conservatives by being "soft" on Obama. I guess it worked. His popularity is up and Mitt...who's Mitt again?

Old 11-21-2012, 02:20 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
The talk you heard was from others on the losing side who are looking for any excuse why your guy didn't win.

The big winner was Christy who is getting a lot of kudos from Democrats, that's what I've heard.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:21 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I really don't think it had that much of an impact nationally. It certainly didn't hurt. But if you look at 538, the tracking polls seemed to show that after that first debate nosedive, Obama was in a slow but steady climb back up for 2-3 weeks before the election.

I don't think the hurricane flipped all of the battleground states. Obama had a slight advantage in most for weeks at least. Romney may have had a shot at VA or CO in the final week but I don't think the outcome would've been different but for Sandy.

Those who were prescient enough to monitor the highly-accurate 538.com blog for that last couple of months were not surprised by the election results.
Of course, that didn't include the likes of Sheldon Adelson, the Koch Brothers, Donald Trump, and others who were convinced by Karl Rove to ignore credible poll numbers and to continue to throw huge amounts of money behind the guy who was destined to lose.

While Obama might have picked up a small percentage gain as a result of the super-storm, the reality is that a large percentage of the electorate divined that Mitt Romney has contempt for those who are less fortunate than he and his minions. That fatal "47%" statement and Mitt's post-election whining are in complete convergence on that point.

When the next election cycle takes place, I urge you to monitor the NYT's 538 blog.
Nate Silver's projections--beginning several weeks prior to the election--were so accurate as to be almost spooky.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey