Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 01:57 PM

385 posts, read 1,176,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
Your serious? Prepare for hell nah just kidding Use NJT train to sec jct then use train to rutherford get an express train.
you cannot take njt to secaucus direct from mount olive. their options are a) to njt train to hoboken then train to rutherford (slower), b) take njt montclair boonton line from mount olive to little falls, then take 191 bus (including in month pass from njt) to ridge road, then either walk up ridge rd to downtown or take bus 76 up to downtown, or c) take njt train to newark broad street then take 76 bus to rutherford,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2019, 05:08 AM

3 posts, read 3,493 times
Default What’s the commute into NYC like today in Oct 2019

Most of the comments are from a few years ago.I want to know how are things today.There are a few new communities that have come in the area from Ryan homes etc.What would people who commute into NYC say to someone considering a move into Mt olive and nearby areas today?Is it any better or worse?

please help.

Old 10-13-2019, 09:42 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,218,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jatt View Post
Most of the comments are from a few years ago.I want to know how are things today.There are a few new communities that have come in the area from Ryan homes etc.What would people who commute into NYC say to someone considering a move into Mt olive and nearby areas today?Is it any better or worse?.
Things only get worse, and that especially includes New Jersey Transit. It's about 2 hours by train from Mt Olive Station, and that station doesn't get many trains. Not recommended.

Old 10-14-2019, 06:58 AM

189 posts, read 262,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Things only get worse, and that especially includes New Jersey Transit. It's about 2 hours by train from Mt Olive Station, and that station doesn't get many trains. Not recommended.
I have a mutual friend who purchased their home in Mt. Olive about 4 months back with the idea of commuting into Manhattan 3x a week. The days he does commute its brutal, 2.5 hours door to door if there are no delays, but realistically its about 3 hours. He hasn't even hit the snow delays and what not, so I would not recommend that kind of commute. I live in Lake Hopatcong and commute by car to Parisppany everyday and I feel like its a lot, because of the inevitable delays on RT 80, but some people dont mind a long commute.

Old 10-14-2019, 08:19 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,227,309 times
Quote:
Most of the comments are from a few years ago.I want to know how are things today.There are a few new communities that have come in the area from Ryan homes etc.What would people who commute into NYC say to someone considering a move into Mt olive and nearby areas today?Is it any better or worse?

please help.
Much worse than when this thread was started. Not sure how long the ride is from Mount Arlington but NJ Transit is less reliable and I-80 is as packed as ever.

Old 10-14-2019, 08:37 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,149,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Much worse than when this thread was started. Not sure how long the ride is from Mount Arlington but NJ Transit is less reliable and I-80 is as packed as ever.
Yup, if you want to see how bad route 80 is just pull up Google Maps during the morning or evening rush hours. You will see a big red line of stopped traffic between Hopatcong and Parsippany.

Old 10-18-2019, 01:36 PM

142 posts, read 116,119 times
I used to do this commute from Chatham to Mt Olive reversed and can attest it is brutal. I80 is awful. The train service is very limited to mostly peak rush hours and a good 2 hours including a change of trains. Imo anything west of Denvile isn’t worth it for NYC commutes.

Old 10-22-2019, 09:41 AM

49 posts, read 40,019 times
Quote:

please help.
It's not feasible unless you plan on spending 4 hours a day commuting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveling Mike View Post
I used to do this commute from Chatham to Mt Olive reversed and can attest it is brutal. I80 is awful. The train service is very limited to mostly peak rush hours and a good 2 hours including a change of trains. Imo anything west of Denvile isn’t worth it for NYC commutes.
I wouldn't even include Denville in that. It's still a a 75 minute train ride from there, and that doesn't include getting to the station and subway or walk commute once in NYC. I'd say you have to at leat go to Morristown for an NYC commute that isn't completely soul crushing.

Old 10-22-2019, 06:34 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,218,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdhock3y View Post
I'd say you have to at leat go to Morristown for an NYC commute that isn't completely soul crushing.
Don't be fooled. It's soul crushing from anywhere. NJT can crush your soul from Secaucus Junction, let alone Morristown.

Old 10-24-2019, 10:50 PM

214 posts, read 351,057 times
Train is slow I agree. But if you take the bus from either Mt Arlington or Rockaway mall.. it’s not bad at all. Rockaway mall to PABT is exactly 1 hr if you catch a bus before 7:15. Return trip is also exactly 1hrfrom PABT. Check the Lakeland bus schedule for Rt 80.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey