Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 08:49 PM

78 posts, read 400,590 times

Advertisements

KaseyM, Hope002,
unlike east brunswick, south brunswick township has several different zip codes: kendall park, monmounth junction, dayton, kingston and etc. you can easily get to rutgers campus via route 1, route 27, or route 130 from south brunswick. another town you may want to look at is cranbury, a small town near new jersey turnpike exit 8A. I lived in south brunwick for 5 years before moving to cranbury due to growing family and think both towns are very safe and have great school systems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 10:27 AM

2,865 posts, read 9,368,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaseyM View Post
We are looking for at least a 3br and 2.5 bath house. Also hoping for a basement (could be unfinished) and trying to stay under 400K. Also we need to stay fairly close to Rutgers, hence that is why we were thinking of Piscataway. Think it is going to be do-able?
You should check out South River,which is in Middlesex county. It is not far from Rutger's. Prices and taxes are lower there. A $400,000 house in NJ could have $7k-$10K taxes a year. I've lived in NJ, and now I live in Nashville, and a $400k house here will be about $3k taxes here Vs much more in NJ, so shop around there.
Diane

Old 11-05-2007, 12:42 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ching1698 View Post

Nearby town Edison (http://newjersey.craigslist.org/search/rfs?query=edison&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max - broken link) was ranked 3rd safest town in NJ and very diversitified, and more expensive than Piscataway.
Can someone post the website where this info was listed? I've seen mention of it on several posts. Thanks!

Old 11-05-2007, 12:56 PM

445 posts, read 1,984,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Can someone post the website where this info was listed? I've seen mention of it on several posts. Thanks!
Although it might be safe,different websites have different criteria for a town making it to a safe list.According to this website, Edison is the 23rd safest. The site below is based on information from Morgan Quitno which is considered the authoritive in these stats
Safest and Most Dangerous U.S. Cities, 2007 — Infoplease.com

if you want to see actual crime numbers for towns in NJ, go here APP.COM DataUniverse | Asbury Park Press Online

Old 11-05-2007, 01:46 PM

Thanks that was helpful. Why am I not suprised to see orlando on that list? Yesterday me and my friend decided to take our kids to Universal City Walk just to get out of the house and we took the bus - it's easier than car pooling with three car seats and saves gas - well there was already one couple (a black guy and a hispanic girl) on the bus when three black girls get on the bus. About two minutes, 85,000 curse words and 1 thrown soda later, two of the black girls jump on the hispanic girl. What made it crazy was that the bus driver kept driving like nothing was going on. The boyfriend eventually pulled the string for the stop and dragged his girlfriend off the bus but not before he spit in one girls face. What made it even crazier was that after they got off the two girls sat down and starting fixing their hair like nothing had happened.

I hate to say it, being black myself, but Orlando has truly made the sterotypes about the ghetto true. It used to be the whole west side of Orlando was mostly black or hispanic and low income. But now they've started building million dollar condos and all this other stuff on the westside and they've boxed them into these little areas we so fondly call "crime hills" and "holden fights". So it's like they took 8 semi-bad neighborhoods and made 1 really really dangeroud block. It's like every other hour - not day - you hear about a drug bust, or random murder or rape or kid getting beat down in these areas.

It's a sad but true statement when people say we're killing ourselves.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:56 PM

445 posts, read 1,984,825 times
I am not saying this to be racist but why do you think crime is so high in black areas?Do you think its bad role models on tv or in music?

Old 11-05-2007, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa162 View Post
I am not saying this to be racist but why do you think crime is so high in black areas?Do you think its bad role models on tv or in music?

I honestly don't know. I can't say that I blame tv or music, cause i've watched violent tv shows and listened to rap music all my life and have never had the urge to steal, rob, or rape. On the other hand, I would say TV influences some. I think my younger brother gets his entire wardrobe and vocabulary from rap videos. Which explains why he doesn't have a job. I doubt prospective employers are impressed by "Yea cus I jus be chillin, ya know? Like I can work whenever. It is what it is"

Old 11-07-2007, 09:27 PM

129 posts, read 380,723 times
Middlesex Borough is a very nice, family-friendly town.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ching1698 View Post
They have better Special Kid program than Piscataway. I have a friend who sold the house at Piscataway and move to East Brunswick because of Special Kid program there. .
What;s the Special Kid Program?

Old 11-11-2007, 10:06 AM

14 posts, read 128,384 times
Default Highland Park!

Hi Kasey,

I don't know if I'm too late to chime in here...I was just tooling around the site and saw your post. I wanted to put in a plug for Highland Park, where my husband and I live with our 3 young boys. It's a walking town, which is a big plus in NJ, so you can easily walk downtown to the library, preschool, supermarket, post office, etc. Being a mom with young kids, I love that I don't have to drive everywhere. You can even walk to the train station in nearby New Brunswick, to take a train into New York City.

A number of Rutgers professors live here, and Highland Park has a very diverse, multicultural community. There is also a large Orthodox Jewish community here, in addition to more secular progressive families. It's also a very well-educated community, but it's not at all a keeping-up-with-the-Joneses kind of town, which is very nice. Rather, I'd describe it as a very laid-back, family-oriented town. The schools have high marks.

Also, the town has really made some improvements in the past few years. There are some great restaurants dowtown (Thai, Middle Eastern, Sushi), interesting stores, and even several street fairs held throughout the year.

I don't want to bash Edison or Piscataway, but neither town has a central downtown--instead, they are very sprawling places. If you are looking for a place with a real sense of community and a small-town, downtown kind of feel, I would check out Highland Park.

Sorry, I don't really know what housing prices are like here at the moment...just wanted to give you a little flavor of the place.

Good luck in your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey