Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 06:15 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times

Advertisements

Why does one assume because o/p is Egyptian they are muslim????? Egypt has a very large Coptic Christian population as well. And questions arose BEFORE o/p stated Islamic culture was high on their list.

To o/p Jersey City has a large Egyptian population both Muslim & Coptic, unfortunately your housing budget will not get you into the nicer areas.

Are you wanting to be in a city or suburban area?

Not trying to steer you away from NJ but with your budget have you thought about some of our southern states like North or South Carolina, Georgia? Your budget would stretch further in those states. Even upstate NY or PA, if you can stand the winters, would be cheaper.

Last edited by njkate; 01-08-2013 at 06:19 AM.. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 08:01 AM

908 posts, read 1,555,775 times
Reading the response condemning the racist idiot, is why I LOVE NJ! I'm so moved by how awesome my home state is, it actually has me in tears, and I'm not an emotional person. I guess its because I lived in nasty, racist Pa so long. All you people are too awesome.

As for the comment about the OP being a troll because he misspelled Egyptian, I don't see the logic in that conclusion. Egyptians don't call their country Egypt, its called Misr, and they don't call themselves Egyptian, they call themselves Misri.

There are many Arabs in North Jersey but Central Jersey has a nice population also. Philadelphia & surrounding area is cheaper and has a decent Arab population, but NJ is much better IMO for any foreign born person, from any country, and any religious background.

Old 11-26-2015, 05:20 PM

16 posts, read 28,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorfulchic83 View Post
Reading the response condemning the racist idiot, is why I LOVE NJ! I'm so moved by how awesome my home state is, it actually has me in tears, and I'm not an emotional person. I guess its because I lived in nasty, racist Pa so long. All you people are too awesome.

As for the comment about the OP being a troll because he misspelled Egyptian, I don't see the logic in that conclusion. Egyptians don't call their country Egypt, its called Misr, and they don't call themselves Egyptian, they call themselves Misri.

There are many Arabs in North Jersey but Central Jersey has a nice population also. Philadelphia & surrounding area is cheaper and has a decent Arab population, but NJ is much better IMO for any foreign born person, from any country, and any religious background.
colorfulchic , I love that
you know that we call our selves masri ?
you look like your so close to masryeen .
thanks for your lovely comment .
by the way ,
I live in Edison for about 3 years now .
I got a decent job , me and my husband work for the same company .
kids go to schools ,"very good schools " .
I am thinking of buying a house now .
please visit the new post Edison or Edison ? .
and thanks for all the comments the good ones and the GOOD ones too ,both kinds enriched the post .

Old 11-27-2015, 08:01 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghadamero3 View Post
colorfulchic , I love that
you know that we call our selves masri ?
you look like your so close to masryeen .
thanks for your lovely comment .
by the way ,
I live in Edison for about 3 years now .
I got a decent job , me and my husband work for the same company .
kids go to schools ,"very good schools " .
I am thinking of buying a house now .
please visit the new post Edison or Edison ? .
and thanks for all the comments the good ones and the GOOD ones too ,both kinds enriched the post .
Hey, thank you for coming back to let us know you did move to NJ!

Old 11-28-2015, 08:52 AM

90 posts, read 145,385 times
My observations from watching MANY ethnic communities in NJ. The poorest ones , least educated, but very hard working business savvy stay in the large cities (Jersey City) , the others move ot the suburbs (PIscataway, Livingston)

Old 11-28-2015, 09:34 AM

1,553 posts, read 2,448,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by throwitdontshowit View Post
My observations from watching MANY ethnic communities in NJ. The poorest ones , least educated, but very hard working business savvy stay in the large cities (Jersey City) , the others move ot the suburbs (PIscataway, Livingston)
Paterson is known for poverty and urban decay yet you see so many immigrants with an entrepreneurial spirit. You see immigrants owning so many businesses. You see people selling food on the streets and a Peruvian owns a bus company there. If it wasn't for immigrants Paterson would probably be in a worse state.

Old 11-28-2015, 07:39 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times
You are Egyptian? Do you know if the Hall of Records is really hidden in the paw of the sphinx? I thought that was myth but I understand that recent radar studies suggest the room exists.

Old 11-29-2015, 03:56 AM

90 posts, read 145,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
Paterson is known for poverty and urban decay yet you see so many immigrants with an entrepreneurial spirit. You see immigrants owning so many businesses. You see people selling food on the streets and a Peruvian owns a bus company there. If it wasn't for immigrants Paterson would probably be in a worse state.
The best food I have eaten in NJ has been in Patterson, which was in its nicest and most up and coming parts. didn't realize patterson hd any bad parts until i got lost one day from my usual route. The arabs have done great things for that city, no doubt.

Old 11-29-2015, 01:00 PM

21 posts, read 48,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghadamero3 View Post
Hi everybody,

We are moving to NJ within two months,

this is our second trip to the US ,the first was last year ,it was short BUT nice ,so we desided to

move,live,and work in NJ ,we have green cards.

I need your advice ,opinions,and recommendatinos about places which go with the comming points;

1 . we donot have jobs in NJ ,means we will find a job as second step after having a place.

2 . we have three children 9,8 and 5 years old ,"one of the major reasons for living in the US for us is

having GOOD EDUCATION for them.

3. $1500 will be suitable for monthly rent.

I believe..no one can get every thing he wants in his life

but also,, your help I think will help me get approatch of what I want.
1500$/mo is not going to get you much in NJ when you have 3 children. Especially not in a place with great schools.

If I may ask, if you do not have jobs, why NJ?

Old 11-29-2015, 01:04 PM

21 posts, read 48,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliganO View Post
Paterson has large Muslim population, and rents are affordable compared to rest of the state.

Please don't wear burkas here, thank you. Keep in mind that you live in predominately Christian nation.
Even as a hardcore atheist, this comment infuriates me. All people have equal rights to dress however they want in this country. Being a (relatively) "free" country is one of the things that makes this nation great. With comments like this, we stand to lose some of our own greatness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey