Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 10:54 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,917,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I think Christie is going change to the Democratic Party?
That's good only for people who rigidly vote "the party".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 03:15 AM

513 posts, read 1,167,052 times
He advanced his presidential campaign yesterday at the news conference. It's very crafty of the Governor to run against Congress.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:18 AM

19,122 posts, read 25,320,104 times
Yes, it is possible that he might switch parties.

However, I think it is much more likely that he could be the first serious presidential contender to run as an independent or third-party candidate.

Think about these factors:
  • A huge percentage of the electorate has become dismayed with the two major parties--particularly over the past 10 years or so.
  • The concept of a third party is brought up every 4 years or so, but it rarely gets a lot of traction, due to no viable candidates who are willing to run on any ticket other than the red or blue ones.
  • He was already considered to be a RINO (no pun intended) by the more conservative elements of the GOP.
  • Now, he has soundly criticized even the more moderate elements of the House GOP contingent, thus making him--at least currently--persona non grata with the GOP.
  • National polls have indicated that he is already popular with people who are members of both parties.
Put it all together, and you could have a grass-roots movement for CC to run for POTUS as an independent or third-party candidate.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:23 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,074,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Yes, it is possible that he might switch parties.

However, I think it is much more likely that he could be the first serious presidential contender to run as an independent or third-party candidate.

Think about these factors:
  • A huge percentage of the electorate has become dismayed with the two major parties--particularly over the past 10 years or so.
  • The concept of a third party is brought up every 4 years or so, but it rarely gets a lot of traction, due to no viable candidates who are willing to run on any ticket other than the red or blue ones.
  • He was already considered to be a RINO (no pun intended) by the more conservative elements of the GOP.
  • Now, he has soundly criticized even the more moderate elements of the House GOP contingent, thus making him--at least currently--persona non grata with the GOP.
  • National polls have indicated that he is already popular with people who are members of both parties.
Put it all together, and you could have a grass-roots movement for CC to run for POTUS as an independent or third-party candidate.

Unfortunately if they don't get a party's backing, it's next to impossible to run a campaign. Perot did it because he was a billionaire. Mary Pat is loaded, but not that loaded.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:56 AM

19,122 posts, read 25,320,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post

Unfortunately if they don't get a party's backing, it's next to impossible to run a campaign. Perot did it because he was a billionaire. Mary Pat is loaded, but not that loaded.

Well, I hope you noticed that I did use the word, "could".

If CC was able to gain the support of some billionaires (obviously NOT the Koch Brothers, or Sheldon Adelson, or others of the far right), an indy candidacy might be possible for him. And, let us not forget that some people did send donations to Perot, despite his extreme wealth.

If CC is as popular nationwide as some polls indicate, it is just possible that the combination of funding from a few billionaires, plus donations from average citizens, could make it feasible.

Again..."could", is the operative word.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:10 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,821,323 times
Probably this is a fine example of someone who "didn't leave the Party; the Party left HIM."
The Tea Partiers have completely wreacked havoc on the Republican Party and somehow, everybody lets them get away with it. The real problem is the archaic two-party system (effectively) in this country. We really, really need a Centrist party that leans Right on finances and leans Left on social issues, which fit most people's tendencies. Unfortuantely, the Libertarians, the closest "on paper" Party to this model, tend themselves to be kinda wacko, at least the ones who get press. I generally see little different between Centrist Republicans and Centrist Democrats, but with the polarization now, Centrists of either party do nothing but add numbers to their "team's" count when it comes to committee assignments, etc. Then they are shoved to the bottom of the list. They should break off and form the "American" party, or whatever--Christie could be a pioneer!

Old 01-03-2013, 12:56 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,678,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Probably this is a fine example of someone who "didn't leave the Party; the Party left HIM."
The Tea Partiers have completely wreacked havoc on the Republican Party and somehow, everybody lets them get away with it. The real problem is the archaic two-party system (effectively) in this country. We really, really need a Centrist party that leans Right on finances and leans Left on social issues, which fit most people's tendencies. Unfortuantely, the Libertarians, the closest "on paper" Party to this model, tend themselves to be kinda wacko, at least the ones who get press. I generally see little different between Centrist Republicans and Centrist Democrats, but with the polarization now, Centrists of either party do nothing but add numbers to their "team's" count when it comes to committee assignments, etc. Then they are shoved to the bottom of the list. They should break off and form the "American" party, or whatever--Christie could be a pioneer!
This.

I've mentioned it several times in recent threads before, during and after the election. The Republican party is ripe for fracture. The more conservative "base" has made the party unmarketable to mainstream Americans and has gotten so bad that moderate/centrist Republicans are now feeling alienated as well, myself among them. There are a LOT of Republican voters in the NE and on the west coast, but they end up being a minority compared to the Democratic voters in their states. In many states the vote ends up being 60/40 or 55/45 with the electoral votes going Dem.

However, in these states there are also a lot of conservative Democrats. People who are fiscally conservative but socially liberal. Many times these people vote Democratic solely because of "wedge issues" like abortion and gay rights. They simply can't stand the social message and vision the GOP base stands for. How many states went Dem in the electoral college, yet have Republican governors? Nine.

Maine(4), New Jersey(14), Pennsylvania(20), Ohio(18), Michigan(16), Wisconsin(10), Nevada(6), Iowa(6) and Virginia(13) all have Republican governors, but voted Dem in the last Presidential election. It's the moderate Republicans and conservative Democrats in those states that put those governors in office. In total these states are worth 107 electoral votes. When you take into account shifting demographics and tight races in states like Colorado(9), Florida(29) and Texas(38). Suddenly you are looking at 183 electoral votes being in the grasp of a more moderate/centrist "Republican Party".

The GOP is fighting a civil war right now. Moderates versus "ultra rightwingers". People who are willing to compromise and govern versus people who think compromise is a dirty word and that governing is best done by telling people what's best for them. Either the moderates will win and there's a glimmer of that with the fiscal cliff compromise and the fact the "big guns" from the northeast shut up the PAC's screaming against voting for disaster relief; or, the party will split. If it split, the "moderate" verison has a pretty darn good chance of coming out on top and challenging the Democrats.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:02 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,754,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njgoat View Post
this.

I've mentioned it several times in recent threads before, during and after the election. The republican party is ripe for fracture. The more conservative "base" has made the party unmarketable to mainstream americans and has gotten so bad that moderate/centrist republicans are now feeling alienated as well, myself among them. There are a lot of republican voters in the ne and on the west coast, but they end up being a minority compared to the democratic voters in their states. In many states the vote ends up being 60/40 or 55/45 with the electoral votes going dem.

However, in these states there are also a lot of conservative democrats. People who are fiscally conservative but socially liberal. Many times these people vote democratic solely because of "wedge issues" like abortion and gay rights. They simply can't stand the social message and vision the gop base stands for. How many states went dem in the electoral college, yet have republican governors? Nine.

Maine(4), new jersey(14), pennsylvania(20), ohio(18), michigan(16), wisconsin(10), nevada(6), iowa(6) and virginia(13) all have republican governors, but voted dem in the last presidential election. It's the moderate republicans and conservative democrats in those states that put those governors in office. In total these states are worth 107 electoral votes. When you take into account shifting demographics and tight races in states like colorado(9), florida(29) and texas(38). Suddenly you are looking at 183 electoral votes being in the grasp of a more moderate/centrist "republican party".

The gop is fighting a civil war right now. Moderates versus "ultra rightwingers". People who are willing to compromise and govern versus people who think compromise is a dirty word and that governing is best done by telling people what's best for them. Either the moderates will win and there's a glimmer of that with the fiscal cliff compromise and the fact the "big guns" from the northeast shut up the pac's screaming against voting for disaster relief; or, the party will split. If it split, the "moderate" verison has a pretty darn good chance of coming out on top and challenging the democrats.
amen!!! Preach!!!

+100

Old 01-03-2013, 06:35 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenaperture View Post
Same boat here. I've disagreed with him on just about everything over the years, but I have a lot of respect for him lately. Sandy response aside even, the bill he signed in September to modernize the state's beer laws is going to be great for existing craft brewers, aspiring brewers (friends and self included) and will allow new brewing jobs to be created locally.

I'm certainly not "anti-Christie" anymore. Might even say I kinda like the guy?
I feel the same way. I'm a democrat and don't agree with many things he's done, and financially I'm worse off since he took office due to the tolls doubling, but I respected him after Sandy for being non-partisan, and respect him now as well. I really don't see him as an opportunist, I think he just calls it as he sees it, which is very refreshing for a politician these days.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:32 AM

807 posts, read 1,032,848 times
He knows everyone hates congress right now, so he jumps on the bandwagon, lambasting them, trying to protect our state. Not sure why everyone thinks this is something special. What governor wouldn't want federal aid for a disaster in their state?

Look at what Christie has done for NJ over the past few years. NOTHING! Our state still has high unemployment and ranks at the bottom in growth. His ONLY priority is to make a name for himself and further his career. Biggest phony ever! He will never become president, mostly because I think he will be dead in a few years because of his health. But sooner or later people will realize that he is nothing more than no class shyster.

I guess what bothers me most is that people are falling for his tricks. He spends his days either at public forums (with only his supporters allowed to attend) or in other states talking about himself. WTF has he done for the people of New Jersey?! Christie is about Christie. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey