Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 08:40 AM

1,215 posts, read 3,289,686 times

Advertisements

Hello all -- got a call from a good friend of mine. He lives in Canada (Canadian citizen, born and raised) and is going to move to NJ for business purposes. He is looking for a 1BR, possibly a small 2BR, and he is looking to live between Paramus and Mahwah, west of Route 17, perhaps along the Rt. 17 corridor -- so, he might be talking about Mahwah, Ramsey, Allendale, Ho-Ho-Kus, Waldwick, Wyckoff, Ridgewood, etc.

He's a great guy, an excellent tenant, and I would unconditionally be a reference for him. I am going to help him as he's a good friend, and I'll go see a place or three for him. I kind of know what he's looking for, I can take pictures, email them to him, etc.

Question -- being so far away and not being able to make a lot trips down here before the move, other than seeing as many places as he can when he does come here -- where should be start looking? He's not an "garden apartment" kind of guy. He'd like something privately-owned, operated, etc., just so he can "know" someone (the landlord). He travels a lot so he won't be around all the time.

Craigslist? Any other websites?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 10:58 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,149,489 times
Go to this website: Find Real Estate in New Jersey - New Jersey Multiple Listing Service

Enter say "Mahwah" in the appropriate box. Check off Single Family, Condo/Townhouse, Residential Rentals and enter the maximum rent s/he wants to pay per month in the "Max Price" box.

If you enter $3000, you'll get 21 results.

You can enter/add all the other towns you mentioned as well.

I lived in a Society Hill townhome (Mahwah) for a few years before I bought my house in Wyckoff and was more than pleased with the location, amenities, neighbors etc. My wife lived in Paddington Square (Mahwah) years ago and she was pleased with that location as well.

Last edited by Ivan Putski; 06-10-2015 at 11:07 AM..

Old 06-10-2015, 11:14 AM

Thank you very much. I didn't realize that MLS had a rental side to it. Thanks!

I currently live in Mahwah -- across from Society Hill, so I know the area well. Paddington Square is on the other side of 17 of course. I think he'll be limited as he prefers a 1BR and I think a 2BR might be a bit expensive for him (especially a 2BR in a place like Society Hill).

I think he's going to lean more toward an "apartment" in a 2-family, or something like that.

Thanks again...and as a side note...I used to be a big fan of yours! LOL.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EANJ View Post
I used to be a big fan of yours! LOL.
The Polish Hammer!! (which Is ironic because I'm Japanese lol).

Old 06-10-2015, 11:26 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Putski View Post
Go to this website: Find Real Estate in New Jersey - New Jersey Multiple Listing Service

Enter say "Mahwah" in the appropriate box. Check off Single Family, Condo/Townhouse, Residential Rentals and enter the maximum rent s/he wants to pay per month in the "Max Price" box.

If you enter $3000, you'll get 21 results.

You can enter/add all the other towns you mentioned as well.

I lived in a Society Hill townhome (Mahwah) for a few years before I bought my house in Wyckoff and was more than pleased with the location, amenities, neighbors etc. My wife lived in Paddington Square (Mahwah) years ago and she was pleased with that location as well.
I've known a couple of Paddington Square people, too, and they liked it there.

Also, check out Fair Lawn. Right next to Paramus and some new condos and apartments.

ETA for further info after reading other posts: My sister rented the first floor of a two-family in Fair Lawn for awhile. Think she paid $1400 for 2 bedrooms and had use of the yard. She moved about three years ago.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 06-10-2015 at 12:28 PM..

Old 06-10-2015, 11:27 AM

LOL.

There are 1BR's in Society Hill, right? I had a friend who just moved from a 2BR and she was paying $2200 a month (I think), and that's more than my friend wants to spend.

I'll start looking around.

I think his best bet will be a 1BR or 2BR in a private home, carriage house, etc.

Any other ideas? Thanks again.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
LOL.

There are 1BR's in Society Hill, right? I had a friend who just moved from a 2BR and she was paying $2200 a month (I think), and that's more than my friend wants to spend.

I'll start looking around.

I think his best bet will be a 1BR or 2BR in a private home, carriage house, etc.

Any other ideas? Thanks again.
There are 1BR's in Society Hill but they'll likely charge $1500 for it. There's 1 I see listed on Juniper for $1500.

We were paying $2,000/month in Society Hill (corner townhouse) for a 2br 2bath (2 floors) and that was in 2011/2012.

I know it's not on Rt17 but I'm thinking your friend's budget is somewhere in Hawthorne (I lived there too).

Old 06-10-2015, 12:29 PM

Thanks...$1500 is OK for him...$2000 is not...at least I don't think so...

I think $1500 outside a complex might get him more bang for his buck. I don't know. We'll soon see. LOL.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:00 AM

Seems like the approx. $2k market -- which is too much for him can get you a lot of choices.

In the $1500 range, unless you are looking for amenities (pool, etc.) -- you might be able to get more bang for your buck with an apartment in a two family or something like that. Some of the complexes offer a lot -- optional garage, onsite laundry, pool, etc. If that's not important to you -- then you might get more space in a private home or something of the like.

My friend is NOT limited to Mahwah. He's looking from Mahwah, south to Ridgewood, and west of 17. Not too far west -- maybe Wyckoff, Waldwick, Ho Ho Kus, Ramsey, etc.

Anyone else have any insight? Thank you in advance.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:02 AM

472 posts, read 811,997 times
Quote:
Seems like the approx. $2k market -- which is too much for him can get you a lot of choices.

In the $1500 range, unless you are looking for amenities (pool, etc.) -- you might be able to get more bang for your buck with an apartment in a two family or something like that. Some of the complexes offer a lot -- optional garage, onsite laundry, pool, etc. If that's not important to you -- then you might get more space in a private home or something of the like.

My friend is NOT limited to Mahwah. He's looking from Mahwah, south to Ridgewood, and west of 17. Not too far west -- maybe Wyckoff, Waldwick, Ho Ho Kus, Ramsey, etc.

Anyone else have any insight? Thank you in advance.
So, your friend is basically looking at most of northwestern Bergen County?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey