Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 04:18 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
It might be worthwhile to seek a new Pulmonologist (at least for a second opinion), just to make sure that you are receiving the most appropriate, most up-to-date treatment.

Also, the air pollution in Union County is likely to be a significant factor with your breathing problems. My asthma was first diagnosed when I lived in Rahway, literally just over the fence from the Merck Pharmaceutical complex.

My breathing problems became quite severe during the 7 years that I lived there, most likely as a result of the reality that Merck was the worst polluter in the state at that time. Then, of course, there was the Union County waste incinerator less than a mile away, and the petrochemical plants of Bayway and Perth Amboy only a few miles from my home. Add all of that pollution together, and it isn't too surprising that I had pretty serious respiratory problems when I lived in Rahway.

However, just moving to a semi-rural area in Somerset County worked wonders for me, and my medication was regularly reduced in dosage until I got to the point--in just a few months--of only having to use a rescue inhaler on rare occasions.

Location--and the air quality at that location--is a prime factor with asthma, so if there is any way that you can relocate to a less-congested, less-industrialized area, your health will almost surely improve.

Look, thanks for the advice, but I don't literally have breathing problems 24/7 throughout the summer or any other time. The air gets so THICK that it feels constricting. You feel as if you can cut the air with a knife. It has nothing to do with me, it's the humidity. It's the area I live in. Other parts of NJ are noticeably loads better but often, especially at the height of summer in my location, it gets very, very humid. Is it bearable? Of course. It's not like I'm a recluse who physically can't leave the house because of crippling humidity. I'm used to it, but it doesn't make it comfortable and it doesn't mean that I like it. I think you took that way too literally.

Someone said that NJ doesn't have too humid of a summer, I disagreed. Because we DO have humid summers. The exception would be the coast because of that nice ocean breeze. Would love to live down there…

Last edited by JerseyGirl415; 05-07-2013 at 04:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 04:21 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,663,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
NJ summers are humid as hell. You can't even breathe unless you're near the coast for all of July and half of August.
My DW is a Jersey Girl but she had enough of congestion and traffic so we left the state. We visit friends in Little Egg Harbor and LBI and have to agree that it is hot and oppressive at the shore. The no-see-ums and mosquitoes will eat you alive. With all the building an ocean breeze is lost. It's almost as bad as FL in the summer, except the crowds on the beaches are worse.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:27 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
My DW is a Jersey Girl but she had enough of congestion and traffic so we left the state. We visit friends in Little Egg Harbor and LBI and have to agree that it is hot and oppressive at the shore. The no-see-ums and mosquitoes will eat you alive. With all the building an ocean breeze is lost. It's almost as bad as FL in the summer, except the crowds on the beaches are worse.
I know exactly what you're talking about. Forget about lagoons and marshes in some areas, those green flies WILL eat you alive! And their bites hurt! We almost bought a shore house on Osborne Island I think it was called down near Little Egg Harbor, it was right on the lagoon. We first went to see it in early summer and even then those darn flies were pretty brutal. That and the higher humidity farther from the ocean (which brings the bugs, the true issue that changed our minds) made us think twice. Now we've been looking on the barrier islands. Well, until Sandy wiped out homes and our desire to have to deal with that unfortunate headache.

The immediate coast is beautiful. The breeze really cuts the humidity but in many other places we have pretty high humidity.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:43 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,524,797 times
Quote:
Actually, I do have asthma, and severe seasonal allergies. On some days, the air feels so thick from humidity that it feels as if it is harder to breathe.

I live in central Union County, where it is consistently humid and hot. We often have some of the highest temperatures and humidity in the whole state when I look at weather maps on TV/the internet, which I do often because I am very interested in weather.
I wonder if maybe you'd benefit from drier air during the summer: CA, OR, CO, UT perhaps?

Old 05-07-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Well the congestion at the beaches is definitely a reason to stay inland during the summer. The parkway is always clogged with traffic, the sand is usually blazing hot and littered with people, and worst of all PAYING MONEY to use the beach.

It took me a while but I've come to terms that I'm more of a pool guy.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:46 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,907,825 times
It was hotter today in Maine than in Georgia. Who knows with this crazy weather

Old 05-07-2013, 06:01 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
Look, thanks for the advice, but I don't literally have breathing problems 24/7 throughout the summer or any other time. The air gets so THICK that it feels constricting. You feel as if you can cut the air with a knife. It has nothing to do with me, it's the humidity. It's the area I live in. Other parts of NJ are noticeably loads better but often, especially at the height of summer in my location, it gets very, very humid. Is it bearable? Of course. It's not like I'm a recluse who physically can't leave the house because of crippling humidity. I'm used to it, but it doesn't make it comfortable and it doesn't mean that I like it. I think you took that way too literally.

Someone said that NJ doesn't have too humid of a summer, I disagreed. Because we DO have humid summers. The exception would be the coast because of that nice ocean breeze. Would love to live down there…
Who said that?

Old 05-08-2013, 07:12 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,273,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
Well the congestion at the beaches is definitely a reason to stay inland during the summer. The parkway is always clogged with traffic, the sand is usually blazing hot and littered with people, and worst of all PAYING MONEY to use the beach.

It took me a while but I've come to terms that I'm more of a pool guy.
lol, we are too. We tried doing the beach thing with the kids when they were very young and hated it. Traffic, loads of people and the general hassle. We ended up putting in a pool which we enjoy very much. When we move to Texas in a few months, a pool is going to be a number one priority when we rent and finally buy!!

If we need beaches, will stay in a hotel next to a beach!

Old 05-08-2013, 07:27 AM

88,576 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linmora View Post
lol, we are too. We tried doing the beach thing with the kids when they were very young and hated it. Traffic, loads of people and the general hassle. We ended up putting in a pool which we enjoy very much. When we move to Texas in a few months, a pool is going to be a number one priority when we rent and finally buy!!

If we need beaches, will stay in a hotel next to a beach!
It's so much easier when you live 15 minutes from the beach!

When I lived in Bergen County, you planned your beach trip for the day. Maybe a change of clothing, pack some lunch and snacks, and make sure you got up early enough to be on the Parkway by 6 a.m to avoid sitting in traffic. 7 a.m. is way too late.

Now I think, "Hey, I feel like going to the beach." This could be at, say, 2:30 in the afternoon. I go put on my swimsuit with the big long t-shirt thing over it, toss a book and a bottle of water into my bag, and hop in the car and drive over on the back streets. My blanket and chair live in the trunk. I go to a local beach that's not a usual destination for most out-of-area people. Having to pay does suck, but I buy the badge for the summer, which is cheaper for someone like me who is there every weekend.

It's the payoff for the hell of a long commute.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It's so much easier when you live 15 minutes from the beach!

When I lived in Bergen County, you planned your beach trip for the day. Maybe a change of clothing, pack some lunch and snacks, and make sure you got up early enough to be on the Parkway by 6 a.m to avoid sitting in traffic. 7 a.m. is way too late.

Now I think, "Hey, I feel like going to the beach." This could be at, say, 2:30 in the afternoon. I go put on my swimsuit with the big long t-shirt thing over it, toss a book and a bottle of water into my bag, and hop in the car and drive over on the back streets. My blanket and chair live in the trunk. I go to a local beach that's not a usual destination for most out-of-area people. Having to pay does suck, but I buy the badge for the summer, which is cheaper for someone like me who is there every weekend.

It's the payoff for the hell of a long commute.
And even doing the Bergen County to the beach routine just seems non-enjoyable. I mean, com'on wake up at 6am to drive to the beach? I'd be burnt out and ready to go home by 1pm. And the packing of the lunches, ugh just seems like a giant hassle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey