Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 05:03 PM

196 posts, read 649,057 times

Advertisements

Wasn't sure where to post this so posting here

I was participating in a Yahoo fantasy basketball league that I payed $200 to join and they disabled my access to the league. I emailed/called them and they won't tell me why I've been banned, the customer care is just saying that I might have violated the terms of service but won't tell me anymore details like what I actually violated. They said they won't refund me and i'm not eligible for any prize winnings and won't reactivate my access. Won't answer any more questions.

So i'm thinking of filing a small claims lawsuit against yahoo. would yahoo actually respond to this and pay me or am I going to have to goto court? also I was wondering if I should sue for them to repay me only the $200 or for how much I would have won IF i won the leagues. At the time I was banned I was in second place which is a $500 prize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 06:10 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,455,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus030 View Post
Wasn't sure where to post this so posting here

I was participating in a Yahoo fantasy basketball league that I payed $200 to join and they disabled my access to the league. I emailed/called them and they won't tell me why I've been banned, the customer care is just saying that I might have violated the terms of service but won't tell me anymore details like what I actually violated. They said they won't refund me and i'm not eligible for any prize winnings and won't reactivate my access. Won't answer any more questions.

So i'm thinking of filing a small claims lawsuit against yahoo. would yahoo actually respond to this and pay me or am I going to have to goto court? also I was wondering if I should sue for them to repay me only the $200 or for how much I would have won IF i won the leagues. At the time I was banned I was in second place which is a $500 prize.

You need to carefully read Yahoo's Terms of Service Agreement (TOS) which you agreed to when you signed up to participate. There are several parts of the TOS that apply, for instance, according to section 28

"Choice of Law and Forum. You and Yahoo! each agree that the TOS and the relationship between the parties shall be governed by the laws of the State of California without regard to its conflict of law provisions and that any and all claims, causes of action or disputes (regardless of theory) arising out of or relating to the TOS, or the relationship between you and Yahoo!, shall be brought exclusively in the courts located in the county of Santa Clara, California or the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California. You and Yahoo! agree to submit to the personal jurisdiction of the courts located within the county of Santa Clara, California or the Northern District of California, and agree to waive any and all objections to the exercise of jurisdiction over the parties by such courts and to venue in such courts."

Section 15 is also of relevance

"You agree that Yahoo! may, without prior notice, immediately terminate, limit your access to or suspend your Yahoo! account, any associated email address, and access to the Yahoo! Services. Cause for such termination, limitation of access or suspension shall include, but not be limited to, (a) breaches or violations of the TOS or other incorporated agreements or guidelines, (b)requests by law enforcement or other government agencies, (c) discontinuance or material modification to the Yahoo! Services (or any part thereof), (d) unexpected technical or security issues or problems, (e) extended periods of inactivity, (f) engagement by you in fraudulent or illegal activities, and/or (g) nonpayment of any fees owed by you in connection with the Yahoo! Services. Further, you agree that all terminations, limitations of access and suspensions for cause shall be made in Yahoo!'s sole discretion and that Yahoo! shall not be liable to you or any third party for any termination of your account, any associated email address, or access to the Yahoo! Services."

There is also an addendum specifically for the fantasy baseball league, Yahoo! Sports Fantasy Baseball You should also read that thoroughly before proceeding.

HTH

KoalaNJ

Old 02-15-2013, 09:11 PM

Ok so if I were to submit this in NJ courts then Yahoo! would respond to the court that they are not responsible due to this category and it would get thrown out by the court?

Could I get someone in Santa Clara county to file the court documents?

Yes I understand the second part however Yahoo did not have any cause for terminating my access and I would like to dispute this.

Also who seriously reads all of the terms of service, that is something most people just click through.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:12 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,682,825 times
File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Yahoo has an A+ rating which means it settles complaints. Then you won't have to worry about actual litigation.

Yahoo! Business Review in Sunnyvale, CA - Serving the Silicon Valley BBB

Old 02-16-2013, 04:59 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,771 times
Please note I'm not a lawyer and this is simply what I'd do, not actual legal advice, which I am in no way qualified to give.

I wouldn't waste money engaging a lawyer out in California because there's a good chance you'd just be wasting your money, but if you sue them in NJ small claims court regardless of of what their terms said, for triple damages ($200 x3 for pain, suffering, hassle, etc.) they might either give you the original $200 just to go away, or alternatively might fail to send a representative out to defend themselves, in which case the judge might give you a judgement in your favor because they didn't show up.

That said before doing something like this you should check this with a lawyer you know socially just to make sure they can't come after you for legal fees or anything like that.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:32 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
I would take GoYanks advice and file through the BBB. Major companies do actually work to maintain their rating and resolve disputes. You honestly have a much better shot there of a satisfactory resolution then going through small claims court. Though you didn't bother to read the TOS, the littany of "reasons" they have to do anything they want is pretty extensive.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:47 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,663,583 times
Quote:
Could I get someone in Santa Clara county to file the court documents?
At over three hundred an hour, you will spend many times more the original two hundred. While a Small Claims filing may be one possible way to go, what will you be using as the basis of your claim? You would have to present the reasons behind the suspension. As I understand it, it's unknown at this point.

Have you been awarded anything since joining the game? If you have received nothing and have filed the entrance fee, I see no reason why Yahoo will not refund the fees,

Old 02-28-2013, 12:05 PM

As advised I filed a Better Business complaint and Yahoo has rejected my BBB complaint.
Below is their response which still does not say exactly what I violated.

Does anyone know if I file the case in small claims court, if yahoo will have to show up or will they just respond that I need to goto california

"I have already escalated the concerns listed in your Better Business Bureau Complaint # *** to the highest level of Yahoo! Sports Customer Care for their review and further investigation. I received their determination, which is truly the final word on this matter, and will share this with you below.
After extensive investigation, it was determined that the initial suspensions will be upheld and the requested reimbursement stated in your Better Business Bureau complaint will not be granted.
Any violations of the Terms of Service or Fair Play & Sportsmanship rules, which I've provided a link to below, may result in action taken against all teams associated with the offending Yahoo! ID, including those in different leagues or Fantasy games. I've also included a link to the Official Rules for Yahoo! Fantasy Pro League Basketball for your convenient reference.
Fair play and sportsmanship rules for public leagues
Official Rules for Pro League Basketball
I am sorry that the Yahoo! Sports Customer Care Team and Managers' determination was not what you had requested. As I stated previously; however, this ruling is based on their investigation and is final."

Old 02-28-2013, 01:35 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,663,583 times
Have they detailed the violations or unsportsmanlike conduct or anything to justify that statement?

Quote:
As I stated previously; however, this ruling is based on their investigation and is final."
Based on that, there must be some definitive facts not being published by someone. I'm not into fantasy sports but is it normal to pay a significant amount and have them simply say, "You're out of here"?

Old 02-28-2013, 01:55 PM

no they have not provided me any information as to what exactly I was banned for violating. I am unsure at this point what I did wrong to justify them taking my money and banning me.

this is the first time I've heard of any of this happening and I will never be using yahoo again for anything after this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey