Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 11:39 AM

325 posts, read 582,750 times

Advertisements

How can I find out who to hire to appeal my property taxes? A lawyer, real estate appraiser? Are there companies who only do this work?
I'm in Sussex County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 11:56 AM

1,049 posts, read 4,020,902 times
Honestly, you can do it yourself. It is not that difficult. However, It may help to use an appraisal, ( from an appraiser) and perhaps you can have a realtor on call if needed to present the case to the tax board.

Don't forget, that the town can be within 15% of actual (market) value, and would not grant an appeal.

And yes, there are companies ready to do this for you.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:16 PM

My main concern is that I'm appraised at a much higher value than my neighbors who have similar homes. Houses near me are newer, bigger and appraised lower. Thats what is very unfair to me.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:09 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck172 View Post
My main concern is that I'm appraised at a much higher value than my neighbors who have similar homes. Houses near me are newer, bigger and appraised lower. Thats what is very unfair to me.
That has nothing to do with it. You need sales, only sales as your comps. I believe the sales must be between oct 2011 and oct 2012. The appraised value of other houses cannot be used as comps.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:12 PM

I think what you mean is assessed. The equation is quite simple. The hard part, is to determine what the actual (market) value is of your home, then run the numbers. If the value is within 15%, then it's not worth doing an appeal. We would also see what recently sold in your neighborhood. The sold comps would really need to be very similar in style and age. Also, no distressed properties can be used, and they need to be within 1 year.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:02 PM

What if there has been no houses sold near me. I mean nothing is selling at all. We all were just re-evaluated this summer. Second time in 3 years.
Why should I have to pay more taxes than others around me with bigger and newer houses. There must be some fair way to this!

Old 02-27-2013, 05:25 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck172 View Post
What if there has been no houses sold near me. I mean nothing is selling at all. We all were just re-evaluated this summer. Second time in 3 years.
Why should I have to pay more taxes than others around me with bigger and newer houses. There must be some fair way to this!
but is your house assessed correctly - despite what your neighbors are assessed at? that's the key. if it is, there's not much you can do.

you must have sold comps - when i refi'ed my house i was in a similar situation - they used the closest comps they could find (one was even out of town).

I can't believe nothing sold within 12 months.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:49 PM

I live in rural Sussex County. Believe me when I say nothing has been sold near me in quite a long time. How can my house be assessed correctly when all, and I do mean all comparable houses near me that are larger and newer are assessed for less than mine is.
There must be some standard by which value is placed on houses around here. It would seem like there should be a computer program that would logically set a dollar amount on each house regardless of who owns it. How is the final value of the house actually set? Who sets it?

Old 02-27-2013, 06:05 PM

You could also pay an appraiser, then, there is less chance of error. The real value of the property is set by the market. What someone is willing to pay for your property within a certain timeframe. (When it MUST be sold). I would not trust Zillow. It is not accurate.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:09 PM

Are there any companies that take on these appeals on a contingency basis?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey