Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 06:50 PM

18 posts, read 54,942 times

Advertisements

Friends -thank you so much for some great advice.
Nybbler - Thanks but I am not sure I follow. You are saying it shouldnt be a dealbreaker, but you are also saying it would take years to make up the difference. Can you please explain?

Manderly - no, I did not check because I simply wasnt aware of that. My realtor did not also bring it up to my notice.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 08:51 AM

11,345 posts, read 16,708,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srila1234 View Post
Nybbler - Thanks but I am not sure I follow. You are saying it shouldnt be a dealbreaker, but you are also saying it would take years to make up the difference. Can you please explain?

Manderly - no, I did not check because I simply wasnt aware of that. My realtor did not also bring it up to my notice.

Thanks
Pretty much shame on your realtor for not bringing it up to you.

Besides what else didn't your realtor bring up that you're not aware of?

Old 03-09-2013, 10:26 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Quote:
I'm saying that a 20-year-old unit in good condition is perfectly fine. It will cost somewhat more to run than a modern unit, but not so much that it would be worth replacing immediately or running away from a house for.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:43 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Pretty much shame on your realtor for not bringing it up to you.

Besides what else didn't your realtor bring up that you're not aware of?

So the realtor is suppose to tell you the "sheetrock" in the room is 20 years old, that pane of glass was replaced 15yrs ago when Bobby's baseballl went thru it?

Old 03-09-2013, 01:18 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,020,902 times
Your agent should have provided you with the seller's disclosure, that should have been filled out by the seller. This document usually prevents this type of issue. If there is no disclosure, the seller and agents leave themselves open.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:24 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
At the time of providing an offer for a home, I was not aware that the heating /cooling unit (HVAC) is a 20 year old unit. It is still in working condition though.
Now the contract is under attorney review. Even though we are getting a good price as compared to the comparables, should I ask that the price be renegotiated on the basis of age of HVAC? My realtor tells me that the seller could just say no if the unit is in working condition. Should he have adviced me about this even before the offer was made?

I am about to schedule the inspection but not sure what to do in this case. Can experts provide their suggestions?
Keep in mind you are buying a 20 YO or older house and I am sure that is reflected in the price compared to a new house.
You can ask for a price reduction but if you nickel and dime the seller on every part of the house that is not new they may just turn down your offer.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:46 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,708,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
So the realtor is suppose to tell you the "sheetrock" in the room is 20 years old, that pane of glass was replaced 15yrs ago when Bobby's baseballl went thru it?
A/C and heating units have a life expectency. Sheetrock and glass do not.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:54 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
...and the energy efficiency of a 20 year old unit is very different from that of a modern unit.
Even if you can manage to eke out another couple of years with that old HVAC unit, you will be paying a LOT more for your electrical usage each summer because of its inefficiency.

Oh, so everyone should just runout and replace their appliances when a more efficient one hits the market. How often do you replace your water heater? dishwasher, washing machine, etc. I'm sure there are more efficient ones on the market. Most of us wait until the thing starts acting up.

Home ownership means budgeting for when those things break down.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:13 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,020,902 times
No, you should have been provided with a seller's disclosure prior to signing the offer.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:59 PM

1,620 posts, read 3,774,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio M View Post
No, you should have been provided with a seller's disclosure prior to signing the offer.
and if you were, you should have read it better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: