Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2013, 08:08 AM

81 posts, read 140,281 times

Advertisements

Very strong chemical odor coming from (i think) my crawl space. Started sometime yesterday. Smells sorta like lighter fluid to me. It's not gas. Any recommendations on someone who could take a look at this and give me a free estimate? I'm in Jersey City. I called a company I found online and they don't be able to come until Nov. 13th. I need this taken care off ASAP. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 08:37 AM

19,131 posts, read 25,341,241 times
If you suspect that the fumes could be flammable, I would suggest phoning the local fire department, and asking them to come to your house and use their sniffer. Trust me--they would much prefer to prevent a possible fire than to have to fight one.If they can rule out anything flammable, the firemen may even be able to recommend what you should do as the next step.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:01 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,669,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crortega9 View Post
Very strong chemical odor coming from (i think) my crawl space. Started sometime yesterday. Smells sorta like lighter fluid to me. It's not gas. Any recommendations on someone who could take a look at this and give me a free estimate? I'm in Jersey City. I called a company I found online and they don't be able to come until Nov. 13th. I need this taken care off ASAP. Thank you.
I would still call PSEG and have them come out. Tell them it "could" be gas. They will have someone out within a few hours and make sure that it isn't. Also they may be able to determine what it is and it's free( actually not free but part of a service you already pay for).

PS I would suspect it is a dead animal or, depending on the part of Jersey City you are in, possibly a human.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:26 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,711,393 times
did you forget where you put the body?

Old 10-29-2013, 10:57 AM

Haha it's not a human... Or an animal. It's not the kind of foul smell of death. Just chemicals.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:48 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,933,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crortega9 View Post
Haha it's not a human... Or an animal. It's not the kind of foul smell of death. Just chemicals.
If it's chemical smell, definitely call gas company.What's above the crawspace? Any room where you store chemicals such as stain?

Old 10-29-2013, 12:49 PM

I live in an old Victorian so my first level directly above the crawl space is my kitchen and dining room. There's also a space under the stairs I use for storage but I don't keep any chemicals there. Access to the crawl space is also there under the stairs. We've always had funky odors that come and go from down there, quirks if owning an old house, but this is bad and very chemical. Other odors have been a little more foul, fungus perhaps.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:58 PM

Fire department just came by. Appears to be something with the sewer throughout the neighborhood. They're going door to door trying to find the source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey