Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 04:23 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,078,300 times

Advertisements

Here we go again. Whitman hired Parsons to do it over a decade ago and it was a disaster.

Currently, about 80 percent of drivers opt for a free inspection at a state garage, Martinez said. The state pays the private contractor that operates the garages about $20 a car. The remaining 20 percent go to private garages, where they are generally charged $50 or more.

The Motor Vehicle Commission is now working with a consultant to examine whether to shift all inspections to private garages.

The issue I see right off the bat is when you go to a private station they're going to tell you there's 10 different things wrong with your car and it will cost you hundreds of dollars to "pass." Let's say that auto mechanics don't exactly have sterling reputations in the honesty dept.

N.J. may close motor vehicle inspection stations, forcing drivers to pay : page all - NorthJersey.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 05:47 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,045,820 times
Excellent, the state should not be in this business anyway. Here's a simple rule: The garage that does your inspection is not permitted to do the actual work. Problem solved.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Excellent, the state should not be in this business anyway. Here's a simple rule: The garage that does your inspection is not permitted to do the actual work. Problem solved.
So you DON'T remember how Parsons f*cked everything up under Whitman is what you're telling us. Thanks.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:07 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,153,827 times
My only concerns are:

1. It is free today. If it is not free after then that is the same thing as a tax increase as far as I am concerned.
2. Convenience. Right now it is very convenient. I don't need to make an appointment. I don't need to leave my car. They have cameras set up I can view online to see how long the line is. I don't want to lose any of that.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:15 AM

367 posts, read 960,281 times
Actually, it isn't free. Part of the registration fee goes to pay for it and, this being Jersey, it is unlikely that the fee will be reduced if the stations are closed. We'll just have to pay even more money to yet another entity.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:23 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,153,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFBonnett View Post
Actually, it isn't free. Part of the registration fee goes to pay for it and, this being Jersey, it is unlikely that the fee will be reduced if the stations are closed. We'll just have to pay even more money to yet another entity.
I realize nothing is free. I meant "free" when I go to the inspection station. So if they keep registration the same and I have to pay a private garage then I would consider that a tax increase.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I realize nothing is free. I meant "free" when I go to the inspection station. So if they keep registration the same and I have to pay a private garage then I would consider that a tax increase.
And the last few years it's taken 5-10 minutes tops for inspection. Since you could ride around on a go-kart in NJ now with no working horn, brakes or lights (as long as your jalopy passes emissions) there's no reason to upset the apple cart.

Wonder which Christie donor/auto repair lobby is clamoring for this.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:16 AM

23 posts, read 54,737 times
I'm a free market kind of guy, but I don't like the idea of privatizing inspections. There are no more safety inspections, so the purpose of inspections now is 100% to control emissions. Private enterprise doesn't exactly have a good history of putting the environment before profit.

But cars today are cleaner and more efficient than ever. If I were in charge, I'd start exempting certain models (hybrids, gas-electrics, and certain very efficient models) and look to phase out the inspections all together over the next couple decades.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:22 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,711,393 times
just get rid of the inspections. they are just for emissions, waste of time.

Old 05-11-2013, 04:40 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,593,220 times
The way it is now works fairly well. Unless you go end of month often there is no line and youre in and out real quick. Plase don't fix something that is NOT broken.
And yes if you go to a state like PA or NY the gas stations and service shops will 99% of the time want you to fix something often unrelated to inspection then they will pass your car. Years ago in PA one big chain shop made a big deal pretending I needed new brake cylinders. I knew better, went to a different shop and passed fine. They charge you each time, pass or fail, so its a ripoff doing it privately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey