Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 11:13 AM

2,734 posts, read 4,148,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stradivarius View Post
Yeah what a wild concept, right? We have yet to check it out. There's supposed to be an artists' open house in a couple of weeks, which I'd like to attend.
Yes, they have open houses in the spring and fall. I'd like to attend, but it always is scheduled when I have something else planned. The next one is the weekend of June 1-2, and of course I'm going to be away.

If they had a piece of land like this nowadays, it would probably be turned into another strip mall. The whole idea of turning it into an art park with cheap studios for artists would never happen.

Anyway, in May 2011 we visited Riker Hill Art Park and I took some photos. I like the wildness part of it:

Essex County Parks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 01:14 PM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
The other interesting curiosity in the Riker Hill section is the Boiardo Mansion on Beauford Ave., not far from Riker Hill Art Park. It belonged to famous Prohibition-era mafioso Rugierro (aka Richard) Boiardo, aka "Richie The Boot". The gated entrance to the estate is on Beauford Ave. (You can't see the mansion from the street, so here are a few pics from a feature that LIFE magazine did in the late 60s/early 70s). The Boiardo estate has a colorful history with some urban legend attached. Rumor has it that peacocks once roamed the property which also had a guest house, pool, drive-in movie theater, statues, a network of underground tunnels, and a crematorium on the premises (where Richie The Boot would dispose of his enemies, but that part's probably definitely urban legend). The story that gets printed a lot about this place is that one day a mom driving a station wagon full of cub scouts drove up to the gate thinking it was the entrance to Riker Hill Park and was told threateningly by the armed guards at the gate to leave. The estate is now owned by a Dr. Boiardo (some kind of famous knee surgeon, or something) who has nothing to do with the original crime family.
This is not true. I work with Dr. Richard Boiardo from time to time. First of all, he is an orthopedic surgeon, but I would hardly call him "famous". But I guess that is arguable. Secondly, he is the grandson of Richie the boot. Or at least that is what he tells everyone. Considering he has the same exact name and owns the house, I have no reason to think he is not telling the truth.

Another important note about Richie the boot, David Chase said that he was the mobster that he modeled Tony Soprano after.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:22 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,963,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
This is not true. I work with Dr. Richard Boiardo from time to time. First of all, he is an orthopedic surgeon, but I would hardly call him "famous". But I guess that is arguable. Secondly, he is the grandson of Richie the boot. Or at least that is what he tells everyone. Considering he has the same exact name and owns the house, I have no reason to think he is not telling the truth.
OK. I apologize. I say "famous" because of what I read here:

Saint Michael’s Performs State’s First Robotic-arm Assisted Orthopedic Surgery

"...performed the state’s first robotic-arm assisted orthopedic surgery..."

Also, when I said that he had nothing to do with the original crime family, I didn't mean that he wasn't an authentic Boiardo...I meant that despite the fact of being a Boiardo, he has no dealings with any organized crime. I wanted to emphasize that point because I think a lot of people will like to assume different because of the name and the history of the estate.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:06 PM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
OK. I apologize. I say "famous" because of what I read here:

Saint Michael’s Performs State’s First Robotic-arm Assisted Orthopedic Surgery

"...performed the state’s first robotic-arm assisted orthopedic surgery..."

Also, when I said that he had nothing to do with the original crime family, I didn't mean that he wasn't an authentic Boiardo...I meant that despite the fact of being a Boiardo, he has no dealings with any organized crime. I wanted to emphasize that point because I think a lot of people will like to assume different because of the name and the history of the estate.
Ahh. That makes sense.

BTW, those hospital press releases are just a bunch of PR. Every hospital tries to make it seem like THEIR doctors are the world's greatest and most innovative.

There is another well known estate in Livingston. It is the Kean estate. It is where Tom Kean grew up. He sold the land to the developer who built the Belair section but his house is still there. If you drive around Belair, you can't miss it. It is the 100 year old giant stone mansion smack dab in the middle of all the modern homes built in the 1990s. That was all woods around his house before that.

Also Chris Christie grew up in a small house on Northfield Ave.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:04 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Ahh. That makes sense.

BTW, those hospital press releases are just a bunch of PR. Every hospital tries to make it seem like THEIR doctors are the world's greatest and most innovative.

There is another well known estate in Livingston. It is the Kean estate. It is where Tom Kean grew up. He sold the land to the developer who built the Belair section but his house is still there. If you drive around Belair, you can't miss it. It is the 100 year old giant stone mansion smack dab in the middle of all the modern homes built in the 1990s. That was all woods around his house before that.

Also Chris Christie grew up in a small house on Northfield Ave.
he had to move out as he grew up...cause it was a small house. BOOM!

hehehe - had to insert obligitory fat-joke before he loses all that weight!

Old 05-21-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
he had to move out as he grew up...cause it was a small house. BOOM!

hehehe - had to insert obligitory fat-joke before he loses all that weight!
What will we do when Christie is skinny?

All joking aside, I'm glad he's losing weight. I was always scared that he would have a heart attack on live television.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:22 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,664,217 times
Before

After

Old 05-21-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
Before

After
LOL! Christie will look a lot better, but he won't look like JFK!

Old 05-22-2013, 01:25 AM

605 posts, read 2,146,615 times
What is the point of this thread? To blog about life in Livingston? I lived there for 5 years and couldn't wait to leave...Snob central! Didn't want my kids growing up in such a materialistic town.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:10 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,976,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
What is the point of this thread? To blog about life in Livingston? I lived there for 5 years and couldn't wait to leave...Snob central! Didn't want my kids growing up in such a materialistic town.
I think it's a great idea for a thread. Many posters come here and are very active as they search for their new home, but a lot then drop off which is fine. Getting the perspective of a new resident in a town, with some preiodic updates, could be a very nice resource for future potential residents (including posts like yours that give another perspective).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey