Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2013, 12:23 PM

46 posts, read 49,890 times

Advertisements

Currently my kids are in the Manchester School district & we are happy though trying to find a house in the district has been a pain. Realtor thought we might look into Toms River area, the issue I have no clue about the quality of education. I've gotten some really mixed opinions but with very little to back them up. Kids would be in high school & middle school.

Thanks to everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 02:28 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,457,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSportsNut View Post
Currently my kids are in the Manchester School district & we are happy though trying to find a house in the district has been a pain. Realtor thought we might look into Toms River area, the issue I have no clue about the quality of education. I've gotten some really mixed opinions but with very little to back them up. Kids would be in high school & middle school.

Thanks to everyone.

Toms River has three high schools, East, North and South. The school district is considerable larger than Manchester. North has 2,242 students, East has 1,609, and South 1,445, while Manchester has 1,168. Right now in Manchester you kids are a decent sized fish in a mid sized pond, in TM they will just be another small fish in a rather large pond. (especially if they attend North) That being said, the student/teacher ratio is pretty much the same between the two districts.

In the latest NJ monthly HS rankings all of Toms River's schools do not fair very well. East ranks the highest at 225, North at 228, and South comes in at 229 out of 328 in the state. Manchester also does not fair well, coming in at 272.

Here is some good info on the district from USNews

North HS Toms River North H.S in TOMS RIVER, NJ | Best High Schools | US News

South HS Toms River High - South H in TOMS RIVER, NJ | Best High Schools | US News

East HS Toms River High - East H. in TOMS RIVER, NJ | Best High Schools | US News

One thing that stands out for me in looking at how the students fair on state wide testing is that while in the low 90's % the graduates of the TR school district score proficient in language, they score in the low 70's % for proficiency in math, meaning that almost a third of their graduates cannot do basic hs math. Manchester fairs slightly better in this regard with their language proficiency at 91% and their math at 76%.

HTH

KoalaNJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: