Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 02:29 PM

1 posts, read 17,311 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My boyfriend and I are in the process of buying a house in Carteret, NJ. It's a new construction home that is being built...it's near Roosevelt Blvd and Edwin Street in Carteret. Is that a bad area of Carteret or is it pretty decent? We really like the house and were getting a good deal, but from reading the prior reviews i'm kinda skeptical. However the post were a few years old so I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about that area currently.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 06:16 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,373,754 times
Unless the area has changed dramatically in the past year or two, I'd pass. That area has been run down since my parents moved out of there in the 1960's. My old boss owned some vacant lots on Warren Street near there in the 90's, and it was still a rough area then. Not to mention that it backs up to a railroad siding and has the abbatoir on the corner. I pray that place isn't in operation anymore- the stink from there used to be horrible at times.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:42 PM

1,983 posts, read 7,516,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elw82 View Post
Hello,

My boyfriend and I are in the process of buying a house in Carteret, NJ. It's a new construction home that is being built...it's near Roosevelt Blvd and Edwin Street in Carteret. Is that a bad area of Carteret or is it pretty decent? We really like the house and were getting a good deal, but from reading the prior reviews i'm kinda skeptical. However the post were a few years old so I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about that area currently.

Thanks!
The best thing to come out of Carteret is The Smithereens. Enough said.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:29 AM

5 posts, read 37,799 times
Smile Not as bad as they say

Well my husband and I just bought a home in carteret 2 months ago. Before buying our place, we too searched for reviews/opinions on carteret, and all we came across were negative comments. We're glad we bought our home as we got it for a great price (new construction as well). We're enjoying the neighborhood and I don't think it's as bad as people say. Also, my husband's cousin and other family members have lived in carteret for a couple of years now and they also seem to enjoy it. From what they tell us, carteret has many fairs and activities for kids in the summer. I heard Carteret has changed in the past couple of years too. It isn't as bad as it used to be. I have no complaints. I think it's a pretty nice town--not the best, but not the worst. The town seems to be going through some revitaliazation. They're supposed to be building a new health and wellness center soon and the mayor is trying to get a ferry to run from carteret to NYC. Also, carteret has a really nice waterfront park that's nice to go to. You should go on carteret's website Borough of Carteret, New Jersey - Home and check it out. If you have any questions, please send me a message directly.

Last edited by jeremysmom08; 04-09-2009 at 11:14 AM..

Old 04-23-2009, 10:18 AM

1 posts, read 17,134 times
Honestly speaking, I live in Carteret for 10 years and I have two young children - Edwin St near Roosevelt has changed alot in the past few years since they demolished alot in the surrounding blocks. The new homes there look nice - BUT I wouldn't move ther with my family - NO WAY. Give it to me for free, I'd turn it away. Its way too close to that nasty section of chrome ave which is right behind that area. The traffic all day and night long is loud, it stinks from that Abbatior butcher place, in the summer its horrible. A much niver area (if you MUST live in the town) is the newer condos off industrial ave or near the police station. Like I said, I have two young kids and I think Carteret offers very minimal to kids. Thers are no summer camps or any programs availible for kids while parent are working. They have activites at the Library/Rec center for like 2 hours at a time every once in a while - that is horrible for a person who has to work a 9-5 schedule. I work, and I'm forced to take my kids uot of town for summer day camp.
I'd pass if I where you.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:50 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,163,091 times
Is that one of the Kaplan homes? We almost bought there last fall. We backed out of the deal when the appraisal came in too low, and kaplan wouldn't lower the price. We were pretty close to buying the Aster - but are now glad that we didn't go there. I now believe that they are never going to finish that community. Buyer beware... be care of the area...

Old 11-10-2009, 11:04 AM

1 posts, read 16,186 times
I am buying a house on Swarthmore Dr. behind the shopping center is that area ok?

Old 11-10-2009, 11:31 AM

46 posts, read 166,140 times
That area is fine, but Swarthmore is a cut-through street. Many people (myself included) cut through that area to avoid the lights on Washington Ave when going home off the turnpike.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:07 AM

1 posts, read 14,471 times
My family and I were thinking about buying a home over on Marion st in Carteret. It seems like a really quiet neighborhood. Justing wondering is that a safe please to live?

Old 07-21-2011, 07:50 AM

98 posts, read 268,980 times
As I've posted before--if you're thinking of moving to Carteret--don't even bother. The area you speak of on Rossevelt Ave. floods during any rainstorm. The town, as a whole, just seems to attract low lifes and druggies, as seen on the blank expressions on their faces. If you have kids, don't even consider sending them through the school system. "Sub-par", as a description of the school system is a compliment. Many graduates of the high school end up going to Middlesex County College and being placed into remedial math and English classes because their skills are not at a high school level. The Chrome section isn't as bad as it used to be, but I still wouldn't walk through that part of town at night. A lot of Section 8 and so-called "affordable housing" has been popping up, adding to the "less desirable" as a whole. Yes, the slaughterhouse is there. And today and tomorrow it's going to be 100+. I hope no one gets a downwind sniff from that place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey