Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 11:59 AM

15 posts, read 94,655 times

Advertisements

Hi!
I was just wondering if my friend who lives in Downtown Jersey City could apply for a parking permit and give it to me so I can drive my car and park it around his area? I live in Jersey City too but close to the border of Bayonne.

Not sure if this is okay since I do see some requirements in the form (http://www.jcparking.org/pdf/zonepar...tion%20_2_.pdf) that needs to be filled out, such as vehicle registration which has my name/address on it.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 12:47 PM

5 posts, read 11,503 times
I don't live in Jersey City, but everywhere I've ever experienced parking permits they're issued for the specific car that the person who is applying drives. So, if I had two cars, I couldn't even use my parking permit on another car that I own. I very very very strongly doubt that Jersey City permits are transferable in the way you're talking about. Otherwise everyone in Jersey City would apply for multiple permits and just rent them out to commuters!

I'd be interested to hear from JC residents if that's not the case, though. Cause...you know...it might be convenient for this part-time commuter!

Old 08-27-2012, 01:34 PM

15 posts, read 94,655 times
Thanks, Monkeypants, for the insight! Hopefully other people would have more input to this so we can make a concrete conclusion.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:00 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,588,795 times
This is nonsense of course. Decades ago when that NYC developer was building up the J C waterfront both NYC and JC could have made it conditional where he could have built or opened a free, yes dammit F R triple E free parking area for people to park their cars and go to NYC. Off course that makes TOO much sense. Nothing that makes too much sense has a big chance of happening between NYC and JCity.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:04 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
This is nonsense of course. Decades ago when that NYC developer was building up the J C waterfront both NYC and JC could have made it conditional where he could have built or opened a free, yes dammit F R triple E free parking area for people to park their cars and go to NYC. Off course that makes TOO much sense. Nothing that makes too much sense has a big chance of happening between NYC and JCity.
Who would benefit from that, aside from the early risers who would have filled up the parking area?

Old 08-27-2012, 07:15 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,312,201 times
To get a resident parking permit you have to prove that you're a resident at the address the permit is issued for. That means the name/address on the vehicle registration and the name/address on the lease must be in the zone for which you're applying. If your vehicle is not registered there and you don't have a lease/proof you're living there, you don't qualify for a permit. Simple as that.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Who would benefit from that, aside from the early risers who would have filled up the parking area?
Everyone would benefit. Commuters, local residents, local business, NYC real estate, a win-win for all. ANd make it big enough so it won't fill up early. Even Nooh Yukkers would have less vehicular traffic and better movement.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:36 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,146,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
To get a resident parking permit you have to prove that you're a resident at the address the permit is issued for. That means the name/address on the vehicle registration and the name/address on the lease must be in the zone for which you're applying. If your vehicle is not registered there and you don't have a lease/proof you're living there, you don't qualify for a permit. Simple as that.
Correct. And they put the license plate number right on the permit sticker that goes in the car window. So it's not like a friend can apply for a permit with his/her car and then give it to someone else to put on their car. The permit has to match the plate on the car.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:43 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,146,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
You're not making any sense. That land is extremely valuable. What incentive would the developer have for buying that land and then having to use it for free parking? Decades ago nobody wanted to live in or develop that area. That's why the developers were offered tax abatements by the city to build and open apartment complexes that would help improve the city as a whole.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
You're not making any sense. That land is extremely valuable. What incentive would the developer have for buying that land and then having to use it for free parking? Decades ago nobody wanted to live in or develop that area. That's why the developers were offered tax abatements by the city to build and open apartment complexes that would help improve the city as a whole.
If it was done decades ago it could have been a condition of developing what was then abandoned old fields with 6 foot high weeds into what it is now and would have benefited everyone for many generations on both sides of the river.

However that makes too much sense and most of the time things that make sense don't happen around J City and NYC. Politicians of the time traded verbal assaults on each other instead. NYC Mayor Ed Koch did a public relations bit with him boarding uo the Holland Tunnel with wooden planks to keep things in NYC. Dummy/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey