Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 01:37 PM

157 posts, read 228,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
You're pretty new here so dumb comments are usually dismissed as ignorance but many of us have a low tolerance for dumbness and are quick to put you on the ignore list.
well damn, i guess i wont be able to sleep at night now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 01:52 PM

regular txting IS distractive tho and should be banned

Old 08-02-2013, 02:04 PM

50,797 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
so does this make my point regarding isolating cell phone related incidents as potentially being a flawed logic more relevant? or maybe for each other of his violations he was also on his cell phone.
Yes, in this case I do believe it does.

Old 08-02-2013, 02:36 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, in this case I do believe it does.
pop goes the weasel!!!!

Old 08-02-2013, 08:37 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times
Quote:
while most of his comments so far have been pretty dumb, i think you chose to call him out on one that isnt so dumb. no need to be such a grumpy old lady.

check out this article:

Eating while driving causes 80% of all car accidents, study shows - NY Daily News
Exactly. People are so quick to blame a cell phone for everything. There were always bad drivers out there even before cell phones. It sounds like this guy was a terrible driver with or without a cell phone in his hand. There are a lot of things more distracting than a cell phone. I've seen people reading newspapers, applying makeup, and even using a laptop while they drive. But everybody hates the cell phone.

Old 08-03-2013, 06:35 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Exactly. People are so quick to blame a cell phone for everything. There were always bad drivers out there even before cell phones. It sounds like this guy was a terrible driver with or without a cell phone in his hand. There are a lot of things more distracting than a cell phone. I've seen people reading newspapers, applying makeup, and even using a laptop while they drive. But everybody hates the cell phone.
Everybody hates the cell phone in this context for an obvious reason. All of us had a number of close calls, swerves, lane drifts, missed exits, or even "near miss" collisions while using our cell phones or other mobile devices while driving. It's not rare, it's common. You need only use your cell phone for 15 minutes in the car and an "event" such as a lane drift, swerve, etc, will almost definitely occur. A few of us have learned our lessons, most have not. Using a cell phone while driving is a selfish activity that threatens the safety of everyone. I would be fine with long jail sentences for anyone convicted of an accident where phone company records show they were on the phone at or just before the time of the acccident. It should be the same enhanced penalty system as DWI. But perhaps with more jail time, because using a cell phone while driving shows clear intent to disregard the law and the safety of others.

Just turned the damned thing off. If your kid or your mom or your dog is killed by lightning, you'll find out when you get home.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:25 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,677 times
Quote:
while most of his comments so far have been pretty dumb, i think you chose to call him out on one that isnt so dumb. no need to be such a grumpy old lady.

check out this article:

Eating while driving causes 80% of all car accidents, study shows - NY Daily News
Because of what sounds like a very strange statistic, I tried to find the actual info on the study at the linked site. All I could find was the headline with no really clear supportive info, article, study reference with data. If there is a better link to this 'study' it would be good to post it. The 80% accidents due to eating sounds absurd...maybe it should have been all forms of distracted driving, and a zealous headline writer looked for some sensation to go with a good picture?

But while I was browsing trying to find it there I came across the following link/article which fits this thread. (there was another on texting but it was older ... )

Driving deaths due to cell phone use underreported: study - NY Daily News

Oh, and also as to why deaths have gone down in recent years, here is the gist of what is stated in the above link:

Quote:
Overall, 32,885 people died in traffic crashes in the United States in 2010, a nearly 3 percent drop and the lowest number since 1949. Traffic deaths have been declining for several years. Safety researchers generally attribute the lower deaths to a decline in driving because of the poor economy combined with better designed and equipped cars and stronger safety laws.
IMO the much safer cars are a key element...many now have better tires/brakes, engineered crush zones, 6-8 airbags and seat belt/harnesses are heavily used...etc. Stats on accidents, rather than just deaths, might be more revealing...particularly the 'unexplained' single car run off the road or head-ons or rear-enders that seem very common these days. Check out your news sources on this. (I didn't look for them...GTG)

Last edited by jimazee; 08-03-2013 at 08:08 AM..

Old 08-03-2013, 08:10 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
Because of what sounds like a very strange statistic, I tried to find the actual info on the study at the linked site. All I could find was the headline with no really clear supportive info, article, study reference with data. If there is a better link to this 'study' it would be good to post it. The 80% accidents due to eating sounds absurd...maybe it should have been all forms of distracted driving, and a zealous headline writer looked for some sensation to go with a good picture?

But while I was browsing trying to find it there I came across the following link/article which fits this thread. (there was another on texting but it was older ... )

Driving deaths due to cell phone use underreported: study - NY Daily News

Oh, and also as to why deaths have gone down in recent years, here is the gist of what is stated in the above link:

IMO the much safer cars are a key element...many now have better tires/brakes, engineered crush zones, 6-8 airbags and seat belt/harnesses are heavily used...etc. Stats on accidents might be more revealing...particularly the 'unexplained' single car run off the road or head ons or rear enders that seem very common these days. Check out your news sources on this. (I didn't look for them...GTG)
This Bozo doesn't even have one hand on the wheel, never mind that he's celltalking.The number of morons behind the wheel is just amazing.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:26 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,677 times
For some reason some of my links don't post well some of the time. The 2nd one above worked when I tested it originally but is a weird link format. I will try again since it refers to a scientific study, not an Internet opinion.

Hands-Free Talking, Texting are Unsafe | University of Utah News

Old 08-03-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
For some reason some of my links don't post well some of the time. The 2nd one above worked when I tested it originally but is a weird link format. I will try again since it refers to a scientific study, not an Internet opinion.

Hands-Free Talking, Texting are Unsafe | University of Utah News
then wat if u have passengers, should talking to em be banned too? and if not, then why not? same principle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey