Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 08:23 AM

52 posts, read 412,894 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! Hope you had a wonderful holiday weekend!

So, part of my research into potentially moving to NJ involves trying to determine, as best as possible, what our monthly costs will be. We have a new baby who will need full-time daycare, and I'm sure that'll be one of our biggest costs!

Could anyone please give me a sense of what that would cost on a monthly basis? I'm interested in knowing the rates for an infant (under one year old, I mean) and a toddler (over one). Also, just for comparison's sakes, if anyone knows about the rates for nannies (live in versus live out) that would be great!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 11:17 AM

5,340 posts, read 13,948,569 times
What part of the state? How many days and hours per week?

Old 12-01-2008, 11:26 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,977,097 times
Try calling some of the chains that have sites where you are interested (Goddard School, Kindercare, etc). They should be able to give you an accurate estimate of the sort of ranges you might be looking at, and could also help you with other important questions (like staff/child ratio, philosophy, programs, etc.)

Not sure about nannies.... might want to find an agency; should be able to give you an estimate.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:57 PM

52 posts, read 412,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
What part of the state? How many days and hours per week?
That's still sort of up in the air, but mostly either Bergen, Essex or Hudson County - all the places that are commutable! I didn't think the rates would vary much. They're pretty much all standard here in NYC. :/

I'm also thinking "full time" for now, so basically nine to six? If that's available?

Old 12-01-2008, 02:00 PM

For the better centers in Northern NJ (they vary but typically by North/South Jersey) you'll fork out a decent sum. The center my kids went to is now $300 a week for an infant. That is for an 8 hr day, more hours, more $. (Concept always made me laugh since the average person WORKS 8 hrs a day...)

In Northern NJ you will find you get what you pay for. The better centers are pricey, the cheaper ones, typically you wouldn't want your dog, much less your child, there.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:22 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,753,371 times
Friend of a friend of a friend runs a family owned and operated, more of a day care than a preschool. My 2yr old goes there when my MIL is not available, a day or 2 here and there. I think its about $175/week for full time. Its in East Orange. DM me if you want the contact info. I dont want to make it seem like Im advertising. Prolly not up to the standards of some of the prissy-uppity-pretentious-snotty people on here, but its clean, the staff is great, and they really care about the kids.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
Friend of a friend of a friend runs a family owned and operated, more of a day care than a preschool. My 2yr old goes there when my MIL is not available, a day or 2 here and there. I think its about $150/week for full time. Its in East Orange. DM me if you want the contact info. I dont want to make it seem like Im advertising. Prolly not up to the standards of some of the prissy-uppity-pretentious-snotty people on here, but its clean, the staff is great, and they really care about the kids.
LOL, 1-2-3-4, I think you just hit a grand-slam of insults.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
LOL, 1-2-3-4, I think you just hit a grand-slam of insults.
Pretty uncalled for in this thread, no?

Old 12-01-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Pretty uncalled for in this thread, no?
You're probably right, but it made me laugh. Sounded like he had a bit of a chip on his shoulder; the 4 punch insult came out of nowhere.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:50 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,753,371 times
yeah, its a lil chip, but its there. lol
Most people on here are down to earth and understand that not everyone can afford the most expensive luxuries regardless of their income. But there are also those that feel that if its not Cartier its crap. The place I mentioned would not be for people who think the Cartier way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey