Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 09:58 AM

1,247 posts, read 3,025,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalsheikh View Post
I want to live in really safe place (no crimes, parties) close to the Rutgers, even if it was really expensive (I am not the one paying). So, you're saying I should be away from New Brunswick, and look for something in Piscataway or Edison? What do you recommend?

Thanks!
Piscataway near New Brunswick is totally fine. Edison too. The south side of Highland Park also has a lot of rentals that a lot of grad students use. But you will need a car for Piscataway and Edison, but HP you can walk right over the bridge into downtown New Brunswick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 10:03 AM

386 posts, read 872,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCityMadMan View Post
Agree with this. I know at one time Remsen was the highest crime block in the whole city. Not sure if it still is. I feel safer on Livingston than I do on French.

Kinda bummed that Rutgers is kicking the grease trucks out of lot 8. I know they were talking about putting some on College Ave and a few others in Livingston Campus in Piscataway, which I am cool with as long as they do not disappear completely!
They're moving to 56 Joyce Kilmer in Piscataway (Livingston Campus).

I was kinda bummed too, but now they're staying open till 2AM every night and they're going to start to deliver after the move.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:35 PM

166 posts, read 326,633 times
you guys are making new brunswick sound worse than it is. It's not princeton by any means but from somerset to St Peters and from Easton until back to birchwood apartments it's 90% college or post college kids. It's totally fine and safe. Downtown is even fine from monument square down georgestreet.

New brunswick looks a little rough and urban around the edges but its totally fine.

Birchwood is mainly college kids. it's a little far from campus but the walk is 100 percent safe down hamilton street.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:09 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,025,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Sporano View Post
They're moving to 56 Joyce Kilmer in Piscataway (Livingston Campus).

I was kinda bummed too, but now they're staying open till 2AM every night and they're going to start to deliver after the move.
Yup. Went today and got a Fat Dad, which was actually the first one I ever had a very long time ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman109 View Post
you guys are making new brunswick sound worse than it is. It's not princeton by any means but from somerset to St Peters and from Easton until back to birchwood apartments it's 90% college or post college kids. It's totally fine and safe. Downtown is even fine from monument square down georgestreet.

New brunswick looks a little rough and urban around the edges but its totally fine.

Birchwood is mainly college kids. it's a little far from campus but the walk is 100 percent safe down hamilton street.
Absolutely agree, and I did not mean to make it sound dangerous, but those areas I mentioned are certainly the least desirable by default. I personally would not consider it an unsafe city at all, but a lot of people on these boards love to argue that idea.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:23 PM

279 posts, read 1,086,818 times
Sheesh, new brunswick is fine. As long as you use common sense and don't walk the streets at 2am alone looking like you are from out of town, you will be fine. Its an urban college campus with a full mix of people. Like others have said, just don't act stupid. It's 2013, you can get assaulted for no apparent reason when in the wrong place at the wrong time. It's Rutgers New Brunswick! Not a gated private university sheltered from the real world with its annoying frats and such.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:30 AM

800 posts, read 1,297,360 times
Went to undergrad and grad in new brunswick and lived here for about the last 10 years, last 3 of them in somerset a town over. Some of you are making NB out to be like newark or camden. NB is a college town that comes with young 20 somethings having a good time. there is the small section of "danger" near douglas campus between remson and livingston ave but its still pretty safe overall compared to other parts of the country. just be smart and use common sense just like you would anywhere else and you'll be fine.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:09 PM

386 posts, read 872,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penga25 View Post
Went to undergrad and grad in new brunswick and lived here for about the last 10 years, last 3 of them in somerset a town over. Some of you are making NB out to be like newark or camden. NB is a college town that comes with young 20 somethings having a good time. there is the small section of "danger" near douglas campus between remson and livingston ave but its still pretty safe overall compared to other parts of the country. just be smart and use common sense just like you would anywhere else and you'll be fine.
Where are the Camden/Newark comparisons?

Old 08-12-2013, 09:12 PM

208 posts, read 545,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aalsheikh View Post
Hahaha, well I want be as far from those partying areas. I found The Harrison apts (575 Easton Avenue, New Brunswick, NJ 08901) is this the meant Easton Ave corridor? should I be far from here?

I also found Riverwatch (5 and 10 Dennis Street, New Brunswick, NJ 08901) what do you think?

Also what is safer Edison, New Brunswick, or Piscataway?

Thanks!
If you want to be within walking distance to campus and want to be as far from partying areas as possible, look at Highland Park. There are couple of apartments in town. Very safe with a downtown, and 15 minute walk across the bridge to New Brunswick...

Old 08-12-2013, 09:54 PM

36 posts, read 74,924 times
I went to Rutgers and Live in Tov Manor. So I can provide you with great deal of information.

If you will have a car then Edison, Piscataway etc would be fine. But if you are like me, college student without a car then tov manor is a really good place. Rutgers buses stop in front of henderson apartments ( RU apartments). The reason I didn't live in henderson apartments was because it was costly.

Highland Park is the best in terms of area/people/safety but you will have to walk 20 minutes to New Brunswick Train Station where RU buses stop. If your classes are in cook campus then it will take you an hour to reach there as Rutgers buses make too many stops.

I can give better recommendation if you mention which campus you have classes in. My classes were in cook campus so Tov Manor worked out better for me.

I personally love to hang out in the downtown but only before 10 pm. It didn't feel safe to me at night. So yeah, that's the reason I didn't live anywhere near downtown.

If your classes are in Livingston or Busch campus then Tov manor is Kinda far and it will only increase your commute time.

So please provide your campus info and are you are eligible to live in University Apartments?

Old 08-12-2013, 10:03 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,486,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taha-nj View Post
If you want to be within walking distance to campus and want to be as far from partying areas as possible, look at Highland Park. There are couple of apartments in town. Very safe with a downtown, and 15 minute walk across the bridge to New Brunswick...
It's a hike to any campus from HP, if one is walking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey