Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 07:39 AM

8 posts, read 18,925 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband and I are relocating to northern New Jersey this fall. We are very focused on buying a home in a too notch school system but are unfamiliar with the area.

I have done my research and have narrowed it down to three towns, with a focus on two. North Caldwell, Kinnelon and Wayne.

Now, we don't need to live in north caldwell specifically because I think it's a tritown, correct? So we could live in Fairfield and still access the west Essex school system?

But how does it compare with kinnelon schools?

Those towns would be a stretch financially but we could sacrifice. We can afford wayne a little more easily, but I wasn't as impressed with their schools, at least when compared to west Essex and kinnelon.

We are moving from eastern MA, from a school system that has rated in the top 90s with regards for math and reading testing. This system also has stellar academic help, social support, fabulous music and arts programs and small class sizes, so I'm a bit picky.

Ay tips are appreciated! Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 08:09 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
i don't think you could go wrong with either town. not sure what about wayne was not impressive? but you do have some flood concerns in parts of wayne. wayne is a gorgeous town though. i'd consider any of the 3.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:18 AM

The only thing about Wayne that I was concerned about it the fact that their schools didn't do as well in the standardized testing, and after speaking with the principal, support For the arts and academic support wasn't really there, or as strong. But again, I'm not familiar with the areas so...

Thank you for your advice!

Old 08-30-2013, 10:58 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
I don't know enough about it to comment on arts or academic support. But you should probably try speaking to some parents in the town (hopefully some are on here). i wouldn't focus too much on the standardized testing. this is a hot topic on this board but coming from a "lesser state" in education, I can assure you, even the average NJ districts are very good schools compared to most of the country. You're coming from a state with excellent schools as well, so You could probably understand that you're fairly ok in many districts, not just the "top" ones.

Hopefully some others will chime in.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:09 PM

166 posts, read 326,674 times
is there anything else besides schools that matters.

All those towns are drastically different.

Kinnelon is right outside the "suburban" areas of New Jersey so you are going to have beautiful woods and trees and green all around you. there are also lakes for swimming. The smoke rise section is just filthy rich big houses. There is no town center and no towns close by with a town center. you have route 23 and the willowbrook mall for shopping. It's more rural than suburbia.

Wayne alwasy reminds me of a typical suburban town that is like strip mall focused. There is also no town center. It's not as woodsy as kinnelon. It's like the last town before you exit "suburbia" If Kinnelon is right outside of suburbia than Wayne is very much suburbia.

North Caldwell is right outside the "train towns" of NJ that have traditional downtowns with trains to the city. It is Suburbia like Wayne except nicer and you are closer to the city and some of those trains to the city.

Old 08-30-2013, 02:41 PM

Thank you! That's perfect. Honestly, yes the schools are most important to us, however, my personal preference is to find an area that's similar to the small town I grew up in up here.

I guess, then, if I'm looking for a small town north caldwell is my best bet. Too bad I can only afford a hut there...hopefully something comes up.

A small downtown would be nice, but not necessary. I think I might be too picky for my own good. But where I grew up the town mandates a lot size of at minimum 3/4 of an acre, with most homes living on one full acre. But it's nice that the homes are not spread out where you can't see your neighbors, it's just that you have some nice space between houses.

I also like the small town events, like town fairs, festivals, parades, etc. which is what I'm used to.

We are going down next weekend to drive around the areas, and this feedback is helping me narrow our search. I'm seriously going a bit crazy trying to figure out.

What drew me to Wayne was the lake activities, but. Guess kinnelon has them too?

Old 08-30-2013, 03:45 PM

513 posts, read 1,167,474 times
Verona, West Caldwell, Oakland and Roseland are also very wonderful towns that fit your criteria. You could get a bit more house than in North Caldwell, which is quite affluent and high-priced. Parts of Kinnelon are very upscale homes and parts are up-graded old summer homes.....very mixed bag. The best parts of Wayne include Packanack Lake.....so pretty and very family-oriented....and Pines Lake, too, but that lake area is quite pricey.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:57 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,910,302 times
The Soprano's lived in North Caldwell until Tony suffered a heart-attack and died. I guess Carmella had to sell the house after his passing.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:55 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,981,886 times
You should check out Montville on your way to Kinnelon too. Very good schools, some bigger lot sizes than Wayne, and easy access to lots of activities.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:56 PM

513 posts, read 1,167,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
You should check out Montville on your way to Kinnelon too. Very good schools, some bigger lot sizes than Wayne, and easy access to lots of activities.
And home of two of the Real Housewives of New Jersey, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey