Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 10:26 PM

2 posts, read 5,073 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, first time poster here. Were a young couple(25 & 26) looking to relocate and need some info on the areas. Heres my list:

Where are you coming from?
We rent out of Clementon right now, and that's our only experience living in NJ.

Why are you moving?
Husband got a job in Hamilton Square so we need a better commute(currently 80 miles per day, 5x a week for him atm)

Where will you be working ?
Hamilton Square. Im currently unemployed so Ill be looking for a job after we move.

Will you buy or rent?
Looking to buy, renting again would be a last ditch effort to get closer to his work

What is your budget ?
I know its stretching it, but Id like to keep it around 200k possibly no more than 250k. Doesnt have to be anything fancy, Id just love a good area to get started in.

What kind of place are you looking for ?
We'd really prefer just about anything thats not a townhouse/apartment/condo, so basically a single family house is what its called I think.

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ?
Just the 2 of us for now, and a cat

Do you need/want good public schools?
Yes. Id love to stay in the house for a long time, and we would be looking to start a family within the next 5 years

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
We're not crazy social "out on the town every weekend" type of people, we go out on occasions to eat or shoot some pool. Basically just what everyones looking for, a safe community that isnt TOO far away from things(like a 30 minute drive to town to go eat, movies, what have you, would be perfectly fine). Living in the enter of a town would also be ok as well

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.
Safety, Good schooling, cheaper taxes(I know thats a stretch as well, I dont mind the 4-5k that I see normally, but stuff like 8k+ is out of our budget for our income)

Also, we'd like to stay somewhat close by to reduce the commute time, so say a 30 mile radius, though we'd like to keep it in NJ. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 05:29 AM

901 posts, read 2,249,180 times
Not realistic at least in Mercer County I can tell you that. Looking south into Burlington maybe would give you a better shot. Someone who knows that area better than I could hopefully comment. Another idea look across the river in Bucks County PA

Old 09-09-2013, 08:41 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,343,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed26 View Post
Hey guys, first time poster here. Were a young couple(25 & 26) looking to relocate and need some info on the areas. Heres my list:

What is your budget ?
I know its stretching it, but Id like to keep it around 200k possibly no more than 250k. Doesnt have to be anything fancy, Id just love a good area to get started in.

What kind of place are you looking for ?
We'd really prefer just about anything thats not a townhouse/apartment/condo, so basically a single family house is what its called I think.

Do you need/want good public schools?
Yes. Id love to stay in the house for a long time, and we would be looking to start a family within the next 5 years

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.
Safety, Good schooling, cheaper taxes(I know thats a stretch as well, I dont mind the 4-5k that I see normally, but stuff like 8k+ is out of our budget for our income)

Also, we'd like to stay somewhat close by to reduce the commute time, so say a 30 mile radius, though we'd like to keep it in NJ. Thanks!
Unfortunately, that is not really doable in Hamilton Square, or I doubt anywhere in the township. You may have to look in PA or parts of Burlington township...but it may go over your 30 mile radius. Especially when you mention the property taxes. Good luck!

Old 09-09-2013, 09:45 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,808,345 times
$4K-$5K for property taxes in NJ????
highly unlikely
my mom was paying $5K in Ohio and she got a senior discount

Look into Allentown, NJ
you'll need to find a place south of I-195
but I doubt you are going to find anything under $250K

Old 09-09-2013, 10:56 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,852,540 times
You won't get anything at that price in a town with good public schools.

Why not rent near the workplace to save on commuting costs & save for a house in the future. That will give you time to get to know the area.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:04 AM

386 posts, read 872,117 times
Don't move to Hamilton for the schools. Doing this started to become pointless after Trenton was fully abandoned.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:44 PM

300 posts, read 914,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
You won't get anything at that price in a town with good public schools.

Why not rent near the workplace to save on commuting costs & save for a house in the future. That will give you time to get to know the area.
Hamilton square and good school district ?

Old 09-19-2013, 05:38 PM

2 posts, read 5,073 times
I guess I should have made myself more clear. My husband only works in Hamilton Square, we're looking into the surrounding areas, hence the 30 mile radius estimate I gave

Old 09-19-2013, 07:00 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,055,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed26 View Post
I guess I should have made myself more clear. My husband only works in Hamilton Square, we're looking into the surrounding areas, hence the 30 mile radius estimate I gave
I would suggest that you rent something in the area. Housing in Hamilton is some of the least expensive in the area (not counting Trenton, you don't want to live there).

Even at your min price of 200K the taxes will be higher than 4K in Hamilton.

Old 09-20-2013, 04:29 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,748,440 times
This is a good area of Hamilton; you might find something here. I found a few different homes for you to see what's available in your price range. There are also a lot of condos and townhouses in that area as well. I had friends that lived in a development that had small houses off of Rt. 33 [and between Klockner], but I couldn't find listings for that area. When my friend lived on Paxson Ave, this was a good neighborhood:
Hamilton-Mercerville, off Nottingham Way:
18 Paxson Avenue, Hamilton NJ - Trulia $250K, Taxes $6,201
38 Hirsch Avenue, Hamilton NJ - Trulia $229,900, Taxes $4,615
24 Fleetwood Drive, Hamilton NJ - Trulia $205K, Taxes $5,049
10 Miry Brook Road, Hamilton NJ - Trulia $231,500, Taxes $5,685
Steinert High School, link: Steinert High School - East, Hamilton East-Steinert High School in Trenton, NJ | Education.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey