Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 12:14 PM

150 posts, read 646,236 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to NJ (temp rental address) and have a car with California plates. The California registration will expire in November, and I want to now renew it with NJ plates.

I know the process should be easy, but just want some feedback on below.

Required documents:
1. I have current CA renewal notice, last year's registration receipt, and insurance information.
2. Do I need the actual title document?
3. If title has two names (husband and wife), do both need to be present at DMV?
Sequence: As far as I understand, I need to do three things, but in what order?
1. Inform CA DMV that I will not be renewing the car registration there and mail the old plates back to them.
2. Register the car in NJ and get new plates.
3. Update insurance -- provide new address, new license number, etc. to insurance company, and pay any differential premium.
What's the correct sequence? 2 then 3 then 1? Steps 2 and 3 seem to have circular dependency, insurance company will need new license #, but the DMV will need new insurance info.

Also, in California a smog test is required every 2 years. Is such a thing required in NJ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 12:35 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,807,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca2ny View Post
I recently moved to NJ (temp rental address) and have a car with California plates. The California registration will expire in November, and I want to now renew it with NJ plates.

I know the process should be easy, but just want some feedback on below.

Required documents:
1. I have current CA renewal notice, last year's registration receipt, and insurance information.
2. Do I need the actual title document?
3. If title has two names (husband and wife), do both need to be present at DMV?
Sequence: As far as I understand, I need to do three things, but in what order?
1. Inform CA DMV that I will not be renewing the car registration there and mail the old plates back to them.
2. Register the car in NJ and get new plates.
3. Update insurance -- provide new address, new license number, etc. to insurance company, and pay any differential premium.
What's the correct sequence? 2 then 3 then 1? Steps 2 and 3 seem to have circular dependency, insurance company will need new license #, but the DMV will need new insurance info.

Also, in California a smog test is required every 2 years. Is such a thing required in NJ?
My mom moved here at the end of June. She did not mail her plates back.

You need to update your insurance first.

Yes, you will need your actual title. Not sure if both parties need to be there or not.

No smog test, but you will need to have your car inspected. My mom did that after she got her new registration and title.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:40 PM

1,037 posts, read 3,161,023 times
Is your car paid off? If so, not only do you need the title, but the letter from the bank that states that you have paid off the auto loan. At least the DMV at Rahway made me dig up this letter (thank god I saved it).

Old 10-18-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxis View Post
Is your car paid off? If so, not only do you need the title, but the letter from the bank that states that you have paid off the auto loan. At least the DMV at Rahway made me dig up this letter (thank god I saved it).
The car was purchased in 2004, and the loan was paid off within 2 months of purchase (I could pay cash, but got a better total price with the loan ... the dealership gets some cut from he loaning bank; but since it was no prepayment penalty, I promptly paid it off), so I don't think I'll be able to find the pay-off letter.

Frankly, I have no idea what bank was even involved, since it's almost 10 years after the fact, and I had the loan for only 2 months...

Old 10-18-2013, 12:50 PM

My mom's car was paid off early. Only need title; nothing else.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:50 PM

289 posts, read 607,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxis View Post
I am guessing you did not have a clear title, i.e. you still had the lien for the car loan reported on the title.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieee488 View Post
My mom moved here at the end of June. She did not mail her plates back.

You need to update your insurance first.

Yes, you will need your actual title. Not sure if both parties need to be there or not.

No smog test, but you will need to have your car inspected. My mom did that after she got her new registration and title.
Does the inspection certificate go back to DMV? If so, wouldn't they require before registering?

Can I just keep the California title document, and only do the registration here? I mean the title already has the VIN. Why does a new state need to issue a new title?

Old 10-18-2013, 01:03 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,580,637 times
In NJ you get a legal two weeks to inspect the car after you register it. They give you a pink rectangular card you're supposed to place on your window in the meantime, in fact in NJ you could not get an inspection on an out of state car until after its registered.
We have state run inspection stations where there is no fee, it's covered in the registration cost. For regular non commercial vehicles they just check paperwork, license insurance & reg then hookup a scanner to the OBD2 plug under your dashboard, then they check your gas cap to see if it's not leaking vapors.

Now I think you might need a NJ license to register your car in NJ too. Fairly certain you need a NJ DL and the reggie would be similar name and address.

Fairly certain you'd need to title the car in NJ to reg it here too.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca2ny View Post
Does the inspection certificate go back to DMV? If so, wouldn't they require before registering?

Can I just keep the California title document, and only do the registration here? I mean the title already has the VIN. Why does a new state need to issue a new title?
They took my mom's title and issued her a new one during the registration process.

There is an inspection station at the South Brunswick location, so
1. get NJ license
2. get NJ registration + title
3. get NJ inspection

Old 10-18-2013, 01:12 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,623,997 times
I will bet that the DMV clerk will tell you that you need a New Jersey drivers license in order to register the vehicle unless it is being registered to a company / corp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: