Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 03:44 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,746,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
.....the lady I got my dog from seems to take things pretty seriously. she is also some kind of jesus person, her email is "paws4hisglory." so my dog is jesus approved. .....
Some breeders won't allow you to pick your puppy either. The breeder will pick the puppy that fits your family, because they know the puppy's personality. I guess I understand the logic, but I don't like that.

This is from the breeder's web site you posted: "I always reserve the right to refuse the sale of a pup or dog if I don't feel it will be in the best interests of that animal. I don't want to hurt peoples' feelings but am the only voice my dogs have in choosing the right home for them."

The breeder and the rescue both have a right to refuse you.

Last edited by timneh5; 10-30-2013 at 03:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 06:09 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,417,821 times
Originally Posted by NJGOAT
You mention a couple of things here that the "rescue/shelter" screaming crowd doesn't often get. Shelter animals are f'd up, no two ways about it. The most f'd up ones are at the no-kill shelters because they take the "overflow" that would have been put down from the other shelters. The animal will either have major medical issues or major temperament problems. People don't surrender animals on a whim like the shelter wants you to believe. The little old lady passing away or the family forced out of their home giving up the animal is an EXTREME RARITY. The vast majority of the animals are surrendered because the owners can't afford their medical care or the animals are "broken". Some people may be willing to deal with it, but people with kids should steer very clear. In my honest opinion, the vast majority of shelter animals should just be put down.
I am not trying to white wash the shelter system, but if you have some time, please look on FB at URGENT PART 2 and you will see each night, a list of perhaps 10 to 10 dogs on average, probably 85 percent of which are good temperament, sweet, former pets- who are slated to be killed (euthanized) the next day if a home cannot be found.
I have had 3 dogs- 2 were from the pound and one was from a breeder. The one from the breeder had no less "issues" healthywise mental or physical than the shelter dogs. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Old 10-30-2013, 06:13 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
Some breeders won't allow you to pick your puppy either. The breeder will pick the puppy that fits your family, because they know the puppy's personality. I guess I understand the logic, but I don't like that.

This is from the breeder's web site you posted: "I always reserve the right to refuse the sale of a pup or dog if I don't feel it will be in the best interests of that animal. I don't want to hurt peoples' feelings but am the only voice my dogs have in choosing the right home for them."

The breeder and the rescue both have a right to refuse you.
she basically wanted to know my history with the breed. she didnt put me through a process or big interview. I had an Australians shepherd before so I knew what I was getting into. im such a sweet guy, she didn't give me a hard time. she would probably be more of a pain if she had doubts.

im not really sure how you can match a specific puppy to an owner. you don't know the puppy enough or the owner at that point.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:21 PM

248 posts, read 674,334 times
Quote:
Those are pretty extreme examples. Fortunately, I didn't have that kind of experience with adopting from a "pound," a rescue, and a retired breeder. However, there was one time where the foster did a home visit with a dog and left without the dog after seeing how well the dog got along with my other dog. Sadly, the dog ended up not being a good fit...female dog humping the other dog showing dominance, etc. She ended up with another family [without other dogs] that was better for her and the rescue returned all of my money and I gave them a donation. It wasn't a big deal really, but yes, some dogs do have problems. Some well-bred dogs have problems, too. Nothing is guaranteed, though.

I adopted a puppy mill rescue and a retired breeder and other than giving the mill dog a pill to help with digestive emptying, they have no medical issues or behavioral problems and I would do it again. (I've had a dog from a breeder that had severe allergies that were harder to deal with.) And, no home visits either. Although it's not required, I do send the foster pics of the dog every now and then to let her know how the dog is doing.

If I had to go through all of the requirements you posted, I would probably not go through with it.
Golden Rescues are the worst. Tried inquiring about a dog on the NJ GRRI site and they started grilling me like I was some sort of a criminal.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP1987 View Post
Golden Rescues are the worst. Tried inquiring about a dog on the NJ GRRI site and they started grilling me like I was some sort of a criminal.
What did they think you were going to do with the dog? It's too bad you were put through that and made to feel that way. I don't know why they weren't thrilled you were interested in adopting.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:02 AM

Quote:
she basically wanted to know my history with the breed. she didnt put me through a process or big interview. I had an Australians shepherd before so I knew what I was getting into. im such a sweet guy, she didn't give me a hard time. she would probably be more of a pain if she had doubts.

im not really sure how you can match a specific puppy to an owner. you don't know the puppy enough or the owner at that point.
I am sure she thought you were a sweet guy...you sweet talker. She probably has a lot written on her site to use for backup, if she really thought you or anyone else wasn't a good potential owner.

I know of someone that recently got a puppy and the breeder chose the puppy based on the activity level of the family and what the family said they were looking for in a puppy. I thought it was weird, but it does happen. The puppy turned out to be exactly what the new family was looking for, so it worked out for them. They wanted a puppy with attitude and they got it! He was just a little harder to train in the beginning.

As a side note, I think the Aussie dogs are interesting. I didn't realize they were so protective. I was looking for a third dog; I have to research this breed a little more. I just don't want a dog that can open doors.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:03 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
Quote:
Those are pretty extreme examples. Fortunately, I didn't have that kind of experience with adopting from a "pound," a rescue, and a retired breeder. However, there was one time where the foster did a home visit with a dog and left without the dog after seeing how well the dog got along with my other dog. Sadly, the dog ended up not being a good fit...female dog humping the other dog showing dominance, etc. She ended up with another family [without other dogs] that was better for her and the rescue returned all of my money and I gave them a donation. It wasn't a big deal really, but yes, some dogs do have problems. Some well-bred dogs have problems, too. Nothing is guaranteed, though.

I adopted a puppy mill rescue and a retired breeder and other than giving the mill dog a pill to help with digestive emptying, they have no medical issues or behavioral problems and I would do it again. (I've had a dog from a breeder that had severe allergies that were harder to deal with.) And, no home visits either. Although it's not required, I do send the foster pics of the dog every now and then to let her know how the dog is doing.

If I had to go through all of the requirements you posted, I would probably not go through with it.
I have three younger kids, my standard for a "good" pet is much higher than if it was just me and my wife. The kids really want a dog, but we have tried a couple of different times to adopt and it has always ended in disaster. We've settled on the world's greatest pet, our cat who think's he's a dog.

Going through the process of the adoption, looking into rescues, checking out breeders and listening to other people, I've just become very convinced that it's all a crap shoot. Getting a puppy you can avoid a lot of the issues with "broken" dogs, but then you are rolling the dice on their health and it doesn't matter what breeder they come from, a good number of them will have the issues their breed has become known for.

Quote:
so where would someone get the puppy for a couple hundred bucks? I figure the best bet is probably from someone whose dog got knocked up and they are getting rid of puppies. so I guess craigslist or maybe classifieds in the newspaper.

the lady I got my dog from seems to take things pretty seriously. she is also some kind of jesus person, her email is "paws4hisglory." so my dog is jesus approved.

Home - Quality Aussies (my dog's breed is definitely not for everyone, so even though she is the most beautiful dog ever (better looking than stuckinsj's dog) you are getting a package you may not be able to handle)

my aunt volunteers at a no kill shelter. you can walk around with the cats, but not the dogs. that's not 100% true since one cat took a swing at my daughter and gave her a little scratch. but an adult would be fine. if you cant walk around with the dogs, then who would want to take one home?
I don't think you really can get a puppy for a couple hundred bucks, especially if you want a golden. Under a $1,000 is probably doable, but that will most likely be a puppy mill dog. Any cheaper, like in the $500 or less range and you are going to be talking about someone trying to get rid of puppies. In all honesty the person trying to get rid of puppies may actually be the best bet overall as long as a vet checks them out.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
I am sure she thought you were a sweet guy...you sweet talker. She probably has a lot written on her site to use for backup, if she really thought you or anyone else wasn't a good potential owner.

I know of someone that recently got a puppy and the breeder chose the puppy based on the activity level of the family and what the family said they were looking for in a puppy. I thought it was weird, but it does happen. The puppy turned out to be exactly what the new family was looking for, so it worked out for them. They wanted a puppy with attitude and they got it! He was just a little harder to train in the beginning.

As a side note, I think the Aussie dogs are interesting. I didn't realize they were so protective. I was looking for a third dog; I have to research this breed a little more. I just don't want a dog that can open doors.
my house growing up had doors with those handles instead of knobs, she would open the doors to get in and out of rooms. my current dog is more true to everything you read about the breed. she is like the special forces of dogs. incredibly athletic. when she was a puppy (maybe 7 months old) she jumped right over a couch and into a coffee table on the other side. she was also jumping on the kitchen counter. she climbed out of her puppy playpen within a couple of months. the biggest problem I have is 1. she barks like nuts at people & dogs when I walk her & 2. she isn't welcoming to people she doesn't know. so I usually lock her up when people come over.

she is awesome but really there are better choices out there for most people.

I can understand choosing the breed for the particular person, but a puppy within the breed seems difficult to me.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:13 AM

248 posts, read 674,334 times
Capt NJ can you post a couple of pix of your dogs?
Are Aussies as difficult as Border Collies to raise? I have heard that border collies are probably the most difficult to raise since they need to stay very active throughout the day.

PS: I think I found a puppy out in PA that fits my bill. I am going to take a look tomorrow and might come back with him.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:21 AM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey