Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 06:54 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
HAnyways, I was looking at the NJT map and wondering if you can get from the Orange NJ stop of the Gladstone Line to the Newark Liberty Airport/Newark Bay industrial district. Is it possible? Would it be a hassle?
It's a hassle; you'd probably take a bus to Newark Penn and the train from there; taking the train would involve switching at Newark Broad AND Newark Penn. Also, Orange is pretty ghetto with a lot of Spanish speakers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 08:35 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
Quote:
Which one of these areas will be the best fit?
I sent you a PM talking more about Port Richmond. While there are plenty of nice sections of the neighborhood, you may have to cross it off your list due to the fact that you require transportation to New Jersey, which is unfortunately severely lacking. We definitely need a full-time connection from Staten Island to New Jersey, but unfortunately, it is what it is for now. (Don't be surprised if yours truly decides to fight for it down the road, though. Transportation is one of my passions).

In any case, out of all the areas you listed, I would go with either Elizabeth (others have given details on specific neighborhoods) or the eastern side of Newark, because those offer the easiest access to the industry along Newark Bay (since you specifically listed that as a requirement). You might also want to try Kearny or Harrison, though the trip down to the seaports and everything would be harder due to the lack of options. (There is the #40 bus, but it runs infrequently. Coming from Newark or Elizabeth, you'd likely have more frequent options.

Keep in mind that just because there's a lot of bus routes doesn't necessarily equate to there being good transit. For instance, Elizabeth is a hub for buses from the surrounding area, but most of them run every 30-60 minutes. The only ones I can think of that run frequently are the #62 & #24A/24B. Newark is better in that department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
PR *used* to be a rather nice middle class area for the most part, this was before the 1990's or so, now much of it including Richmond Avenue (excuse me, Port Richmond Avenue) is either a slum or darn close.
Saying most of the neighborhood is a slum is a gross exaggeration. At worst 1/3 of the neighborhood is remotely as bad as people make it out to be. (And it's the part that's been bad for a while. Since the 1970s or so)

Quote:
Public transportation to NJ? There one bus (S89) that runs from PR to Bayonne over the Bayonne Bridge, but you'd have to get to Newark best way you know how from there. Most persons living in the area that required going to NJ often would probably drive.
The S89 doesn't run to Port Richmond. It runs to Elm Park, which is next-door to Port Richmond. (I used to take it every day to get to school)

To get to Newark, it's actually not that hard. You take the S89 to Bayonne, take the HBLR to Exchange Place, and then take the PATH to Newark. Everything runs frequently, so the transfers aren't too hard. However, the S89 only runs during rush hour, so the problem is that if your hours don't work well with the bus schedule, you're out of luck.

Quote:
As for walkability, though the North and West shores of Staten Island are a bit more compact than the South and served by (just) a bit better public transportation (buses), living without a vehicle will present some challenges. You may find the supermarkets and other shops you like are a bus ride or two away and or you'll have to walk. That can get old very fast.
That's true. Though for what it's worth, if he were to move into the area around say, Forest & Richmond (Elm Park/Port Richmond/Graniteville border), he'd have a variety of supermarkets within walking distance. The area isn't quite as pedestrian-friendly as the area by say, Port Richmond & Castleton, but it's not a pedestrian's nightmare or anything.

Quote:
Even though you don't care about schools sometimes the problems do spill out into the area: Police take 10 into custody following fracas at Port Richmond High School, sources say | SILive.com
I went to that school myself. While it did have its problems, people make it out to be a warzone or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcampo13 View Post
Out of those I would say Elizabeth is the best choice. The city is right on Newark Bay's ports and the transit situation there is actually pretty decent. You have quick port access and okay NYC access as well. If you want great transit then you pretty much have to stick to Hudson County. Elizabeth does have a large Latino community but that is certainly not a detriment.
For what it's worth, I think he's intentionally looking for an area with a large Latino community. (Except for Orange, the other three areas are known for their Latino populations, and even Orange has a Latino neighborhood by the train station)

Quote:
The illegal and legal "Hispanic" population of Port Richmond is quite frankly in direct competition with the once dominant minority group in the area, blacks, hence the tension. Worse it seems the Mexicans are taking over/winning. Much of the businesses along Richmond Avenue for instance are Hispanic/Latino which is a change from whites and or blacks.
How is that "worse" that the businesses are run by Mexicans and other Latinos?

Old 12-10-2013, 05:03 AM

530 posts, read 1,360,006 times
Thanks you for the update, guys!

Questions about Elizabeth:
- What do you guys think about the whole area around Jefferson Park?
- What about the triangular area bounded by N.Broad street to the east, North avenue to the north and Morris Avenue to the west?

Last edited by PrestigiousReputability; 12-10-2013 at 05:29 AM..

Old 12-10-2013, 05:23 AM

530 posts, read 1,360,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
For what it's worth, I think he's intentionally looking for an area with a large Latino community. (Except for Orange, the other three areas are known for their Latino populations, and even Orange has a Latino neighborhood by the train station)
Thanks for the pm, very useful and I definitely will take it into account!

I'm only looking for affordable areas that aren't too dangerous and fits most of my criteria. I guess the areas that fit it best happen to be majority latino. If a black area comes along and fits most of my criteria than I would without-a-doubt consider it. I grew up in a stable middle-income black area on long island[in nassau county] so it would not be a culture shock at all.

A while ago, I was looking into the Bergen-Lafayette/Communipaw region of Jersey City as well as East Orange but it ended up being a war zone. I know for a fact that most of Newark/Irvington are disaster areas as well. So I guess that's sadly the most frequent narrative for North Jersey's black communities.

However, I have heard good things about the black part of Teaneck but unfortunately that area is too far from my target region. I also heard good things about a certain black section of the City of Orange but it's too suburban/residential for my preference and is just made up of single family homes. So I guess most of N.Jersey's black areas are ruled out by default.. and in NYC, pretty much all of the good black areas are so deep in the outer-boroughs with inefficient public transportation, so that's ruled out for me.

Last edited by PrestigiousReputability; 12-10-2013 at 05:33 AM..

Old 12-10-2013, 10:47 AM

99 posts, read 285,562 times
Quote:
Thanks you for the update, guys!

Questions about Elizabeth:
- What do you guys think about the whole area around Jefferson Park?
- What about the triangular area bounded by N.Broad street to the east, North avenue to the north and Morris Avenue to the west?
I'd stay away from Jefferson Park completely. Not what you're looking for in the least.

The triangular section you mention is by the N. Elizabeth Section. I mentioned that in my previous post. It borders hillside and would be an ideal area for you to look into. The section is VERY diverse in both socioeconomic classes as well as nationality (mix of jewish, black, hispanic, white.) You would want to stay as close to North Avenue as possible. There are several apartment buildings and garden apartment complexes there.
You may also want to look in the triangle section of Morris Avenue, North Avenue and Westfield Avenue.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:18 AM

2,751 posts, read 2,421,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillsideResident View Post
I'd stay away from Jefferson Park completely. Not what you're looking for in the least.

The triangular section you mention is by the N. Elizabeth Section. I mentioned that in my previous post. It borders hillside and would be an ideal area for you to look into. The section is VERY diverse in both socioeconomic classes as well as nationality (mix of jewish, black, hispanic, white.) You would want to stay as close to North Avenue as possible. There are several apartment buildings and garden apartment complexes there.
You may also want to look in the triangle section of Morris Avenue, North Avenue and Westfield Avenue.
How is public transportation in Hillside?

Old 12-10-2013, 01:54 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
I sent you a PM talking more about Port Richmond. While there are plenty of nice sections of the neighborhood, you may have to cross it off your list due to the fact that you require transportation to New Jersey, which is unfortunately severely lacking. We definitely need a full-time connection from Staten Island to New Jersey, but unfortunately, it is what it is for now. (Don't be surprised if yours truly decides to fight for it down the road, though. Transportation is one of my passions).

In any case, out of all the areas you listed, I would go with either Elizabeth (others have given details on specific neighborhoods) or the eastern side of Newark, because those offer the easiest access to the industry along Newark Bay (since you specifically listed that as a requirement). You might also want to try Kearny or Harrison, though the trip down to the seaports and everything would be harder due to the lack of options. (There is the #40 bus, but it runs infrequently. Coming from Newark or Elizabeth, you'd likely have more frequent options.

Keep in mind that just because there's a lot of bus routes doesn't necessarily equate to there being good transit. For instance, Elizabeth is a hub for buses from the surrounding area, but most of them run every 30-60 minutes. The only ones I can think of that run frequently are the #62 & #24A/24B. Newark is better in that department.

Saying most of the neighborhood is a slum is a gross exaggeration. At worst 1/3 of the neighborhood is remotely as bad as people make it out to be. (And it's the part that's been bad for a while. Since the 1970s or so)

The S89 doesn't run to Port Richmond. It runs to Elm Park, which is next-door to Port Richmond. (I used to take it every day to get to school)

To get to Newark, it's actually not that hard. You take the S89 to Bayonne, take the HBLR to Exchange Place, and then take the PATH to Newark. Everything runs frequently, so the transfers aren't too hard. However, the S89 only runs during rush hour, so the problem is that if your hours don't work well with the bus schedule, you're out of luck.

That's true. Though for what it's worth, if he were to move into the area around say, Forest & Richmond (Elm Park/Port Richmond/Graniteville border), he'd have a variety of supermarkets within walking distance. The area isn't quite as pedestrian-friendly as the area by say, Port Richmond & Castleton, but it's not a pedestrian's nightmare or anything.

I went to that school myself. While it did have its problems, people make it out to be a warzone or something.

How is that "worse" that the businesses are run by Mexicans and other Latinos?
Thank you for setting things straight.

As for the "worse" comment, should have qualified it by saying the beef came/comes from AA business owners in PR that see themselves being pushed out.

Back in my day we walked and or rode our bikes all over Staten Island. Walking from say Decker Avenue to Forest was no problem and we often did it because that is where the local Burger King was located. Had friends that went to IS 51 that would walk all the way back to Harrison Avenue.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:20 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
Quote:
Anyways, I was looking at the NJT map and wondering if you can get from the Orange NJ stop of the Gladstone Line to the Newark Liberty Airport/Newark Bay industrial district. Is it possible? Would it be a hassle?
[/url]

Thank you guys for the feedback, I really appreciate it.
You're welcome.

I forgot to mention it, but the 24A & 24B buses run between Orange and Elizabethport (which is another industrial area, although it isn't really near Newark Bay). You can transfer in Newark along Broad Street to catch the #62, #40, or go28 bus to Newark Airport (the go28 is a limited-stop bus, and I forget the stops offhand, but the #62 is definitely the most frequent).

In those instances, you're likely to be better off with the buses than the trains, because they're generally more frequent, and go directly to Newark Penn to give you more options.

For the industrial areas, like I said, the #40 is your main route, but it isn't particularly frequent. For certain parts of the industrial area, the #25 might work for you, which runs a little more frequently. (Both serve Newark Penn Station). So if you really want to put emphasis on an easy trip to the industrial areas, the Ironbound is really your only choice because at least you don't have to worry about missing a transfer and having to wait 40-60 minutes or whatever the headway is.

Here's the 24A/24B schedule: http://www.coachusa.com/CoachUsaAsse...95/route24.pdf

#25: http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0025.pdf
#40: http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0040.pdf

Also, NJT buses can be tracked. See these links:
NJT | MyBus Now
New Jersey Transit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Generally, it's within walking distance, but the routes aren't really that frequent.

Here's a Northern NJ bus map. Zoom into any area you like to see which routes go there.

Quote:
Thank you for setting things straight.

As for the "worse" comment, should have qualified it by saying the beef came/comes from AA business owners in PR that see themselves being pushed out.

Back in my day we walked and or rode our bikes all over Staten Island. Walking from say Decker Avenue to Forest was no problem and we often did it because that is where the local Burger King was located. Had friends that went to IS 51 that would walk all the way back to Harrison Avenue.
No problem. And yeah, I see what you're saying about the business owners.

And yeah, that Burger King is still there (over by Forest & Willowbrook). I've done that walk myself a decent amount of times (from say, Post & Decker down to Forest).

Old 12-10-2013, 09:28 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
You're welcome.

I forgot to mention it, but the 24A & 24B buses run between Orange and Elizabethport (which is another industrial area, although it isn't really near Newark Bay). You can transfer in Newark along Broad Street to catch the #62, #40, or go28 bus to Newark Airport (the go28 is a limited-stop bus, and I forget the stops offhand, but the #62 is definitely the most frequent).

In those instances, you're likely to be better off with the buses than the trains, because they're generally more frequent, and go directly to Newark Penn to give you more options.

For the industrial areas, like I said, the #40 is your main route, but it isn't particularly frequent. For certain parts of the industrial area, the #25 might work for you, which runs a little more frequently. (Both serve Newark Penn Station). So if you really want to put emphasis on an easy trip to the industrial areas, the Ironbound is really your only choice because at least you don't have to worry about missing a transfer and having to wait 40-60 minutes or whatever the headway is.

Here's the 24A/24B schedule: http://www.coachusa.com/CoachUsaAsse...95/route24.pdf

#25: http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0025.pdf
#40: http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0040.pdf

Also, NJT buses can be tracked. See these links:
NJT | MyBus Now
New Jersey Transit

Generally, it's within walking distance, but the routes aren't really that frequent.

Here's a Northern NJ bus map. Zoom into any area you like to see which routes go there.

No problem. And yeah, I see what you're saying about the business owners.

And yeah, that Burger King is still there (over by Forest & Willowbrook). I've done that walk myself a decent amount of times (from say, Post & Decker down to Forest).
Am going to check it out next time am down that way when on SI. Am getting a taste for Real Madrid anyway! *LOL*

Old 12-11-2013, 11:11 AM

99 posts, read 285,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
There are a variety of buses and trains but for Hillside proper, it requires you to walk to them. Considering Hillside is only 2.5 miles wide walking isn't an ordeal.

Hillside is accessible to both the Union train station on the Raritan Valley Line or the North Elizabeth train station on the New Jersey Coastline. Walk time would be dependent on what side of town you were on. If they would put a walkway along the train route through Elizabeth River Park it would certainly cut down on the walk time to the Union train station.

Buses in Hillside are as follows
26 - http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0026.pdf
99 - http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0099.pdf
59 - http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0059.pdf
65/66 - http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T1065.pdf
113 - http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0113.pdf
114/117 - http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T1114.pdf

Nearby buses
39 - http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0039.pdf
52 - http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T1026.pdf
90 - http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0090.pdf
112 -http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0112.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey