Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 12:56 PM

7 posts, read 72,234 times

Advertisements

So I'm trying to understand the whole price list for getting a modular home built. I know you have to buy the land. That right there can be a bit expensive because I live in NJ. But other than that does anyone know a breakdown of how much the sewer, electric, etc. is to get all put in and hooked up? Also what does it typically cost for a contractor to build the house? I know the house itself is about 90% put together in the factory, but on all the webisites it says you need to get your own contractor. Also by looking at those websites it doesnt really tell you how much the house costs in general for the floor plan you would want. I found 1 website out of probably 15 that actaully will give you the base price of the house. I'm might not be saying all this right but I'm just looking for a few tips to help me get started with this.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 06:59 PM

88 posts, read 424,237 times
What part of Jersey do you live? I know someone in South Jersey I can put you in touch with.

Old 11-27-2007, 06:53 AM

I live in Mantua in South Jersey.

Thanks

Old 11-27-2007, 11:45 AM

250 posts, read 1,112,996 times
I've been researching modular homes and found that the manufacturers of the modular homes partner with a builder/contractor which you can usually find on their website. You have to visit/contact the builder to get all the prices/info.

Here is one I've found...
New Jersey Westchester Modular Home Builders - Westchester Modular Homes

I have more links if you need them.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:17 PM

Thanks! I look into it. I dont think i need anymore websites but if I do I'll let you know

Old 12-06-2007, 07:02 PM

233 posts, read 225,721 times
Default modular home

You should visit a modular Home builder (I have one for you) I understand stick built home are about$100 square foot whereas modular is about $65 square foot. excluding hook ups, septic and wells, as well as land. Contact these people, which I have already visited. They will sit down with you and give prices and model homes they have. Unbelievable types and prices. Good size $200,000 and up.........Lifetime Modular Homes, 1621A Route 206,
Tabernacle,NJ 609-268-5200 I am also looking for land to move. I now live in a Modular home I had built 10years ago..........

Old 12-21-2007, 11:40 AM

Thanks for the info!!! I appreciate it. I will defintely have ot look into it after all this holiday chaos is over :-)

Old 12-21-2007, 11:44 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,958,790 times
We looked into it a long time ago and decided it was too much of a hassle. If you don't buy property with gas/electric in the street its a pretty big deal and it costs a lot. Same would go for sewer. But - if you are going to need a septic tank you are looking at $$$$. Same would go for a well.

With that being said - where we were looking to buy land...we would have had to get septic and well.

Old 12-21-2007, 12:03 PM

27 posts, read 161,646 times
I live in a modular home in Westchester County, NY. My home was built by Westchester Modular. It is a very cute side-hall colonial with 4 bedrooms and 2 1/2 baths. We first purchased a lot that already had utilities and a cutout to the street for a driveway. We had some demolition to do, but we didn't have all of the utilities cost, so it was worth it for us. At the time we decided to build a modular house, we couldn't have even afforded a condo, but now the value of our house is almost twice what we originally paid for it. It is DEFINITELY worth the hassles of being your own "general contractor". it took almost 3months from "drop date" to the time we moved in, and we had some issues with the coordination of the plumber, electrician etc. but like i said it was all worth it.

There are many benefits of a modular home over a stick built home. First the cost. There is something like less than 6% waste when the house is built in a factory. Everything is measured on a computer and calculated to have the least waste, therefore the actual cost of materials is signifcantly less. Also, it's done in just a few days, so labor is much less too. Since everything is done in a factory, you don't have any problems with weather delaying things or causing structural problems. It's quick. I have a 2,000 sq ft house (4 boxes), that were built in the factory in 6 days. It took 3 months for us to move in. So once the plans were finalized and approved by the town, it was less than 4 months start to finish. A stick built house can take much longer than that - i know additions that took over a year!! (unless you're on Extreme Home Makeover!)

If you'd like to PM me, i can give you all kinds of details and advice.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:15 PM

4 posts, read 39,250 times
SSchirm, I too am considering modular housing. I'm working with a contractor that was recommended by the builder in PA and plan on visiting their site next month. I know very little about cost/pricing and I have received a quote for the house but don't know how to determine if prices are reasonable. My house will be four boxes also, about 1700 sf total. Any info advice you could provide would be greatly appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey