Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 08:49 PM

13 posts, read 11,014 times

Advertisements

Where are you coming from? Brazil
Why are you moving? Intercompany transfer
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC? Will cover NJ/NYC area, no fixed location

Will you buy or rent? Rent
What is your budget ? ~2K, I believe
What kind of place are you looking for ? Family place, easy commute, safe place, walkable.

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? Wife, 2 boys, dog (maybe)
Do you need/want good public schools? Yes

Hi,
have read some threads but maybe I can get more specific help with my situation. My Visa process is about to start so I expect 6-8 weeks to be completed, then I´ll move (May/June timeframe)

To begin I´m the only one who speaks English (more or less ) at home, my wife is learning but won´t have enough time to be 100% independent. My oldest boy (4y) needs to learn fast so he can make K next year. Youngest is only 7 months but we intend to take him to child care soon as he is already here in Brazil this way he can continue his development. Good schools (K-12) is a must.

I´ll work in professional services (IT) so I´ll be going to different customers from time to time, most of them are close to Hudson river as far as I know, meaning that commute (45min is ok) is very important here, no intention to use car daily.

From this forum and other sources looks like Westfield is a great option with few houses available and with higher prices. Scotch Plains seems to be a good option as well. But is quite hard to have opinion on other regions without any reference.
I don´t have exact numbers yet but looks like my income will be ~100k + 20%bonus (depending on my performance and results) to be considered when you give your opinion.

Basically I need help on this:
- Speeding up English learning (child care? esl program?) for the 4y. Any idea of how much for tuition? Public available? What other options are available?
- From which age my youngest could start child care (PK)?
- Good schools for next year.
- A very walkable place, avoiding car usage at most, better with parks close and safe.
- With 2k is possible to find a single family home to rent?

Any other heads up, references, avoidances and hints are very welcome.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 05:34 AM

696 posts, read 907,989 times
You might want to consider the Ironbound section of Newark or Kearny INITIALLY for their Brazillian communities. When your family gets more acclimated, you can decide where to go from there. Boa sorte!

Old 03-03-2014, 01:40 PM

Default yes but no :-)

Thanks, makes sense your suggestion but I most likely avoid move again in a year or so.

And living away from our native language will help a lot their learning.

I was told about MontClair and BelleVille, not sure about those places. Will research a bit more.

Obrigado!

Old 03-03-2014, 05:51 PM

324 posts, read 576,092 times
It will be difficult to rent a single family home for $2,000 anywhere in the area. Are you open to renting an apartment? You might be better off finding a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:05 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,750,088 times
I second the ironbound. Walkable, meets the commute requirement and you can find a very nice spot for that price range. There should also be plenty of ESL options in the area. Harrison is a little nicer and your near the futbol stadium but maybe not as walkable as the ironbound.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:35 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,901,083 times
First, the budget could be difficult in the type of areas you are looking for. So I'm going to suggest a community that has most of what you are looking for but might still be out of your budget.

You may want to try South Orange/Maplewood. (2 towns, 1 school district). They are diverse communities with a lot of commuters. They have an Adult school with evening ESL classes for your wife. They both are very walkable towns. They are generally safe although both towns have small areas that are more prone to crime because that's where they border other less desirable towns.

As for your 4yo, he will pick up the language very quickly in a child care environment or even at school. Public (free) schools in NJ should provide what he needs in Kindergarten without having to spend money on a private school. In most towns in NJ, he will need to turn 5 by Nov in order to enter Kindergarten. This varies by town but Nov. 1 is very common.

The adult/child ratio is very low for babies so it is expensive. Very few towns in NJ offer free Pre-K. Most that do are in urban areas. For example, Elizabeth which has a very large Latin American community, offers free Pre-K beginning at age 3. You have to sign up early I think because there is a waiting list. The Elmora Hills section in Elizabeth is nicer and safer and might be an option for a couple of years.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyStrong1 View Post
It will be difficult to rent a single family home for $2,000 anywhere in the area. Are you open to renting an apartment? You might be better off finding a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment.
Thanks Jersey.

yep apartment could be an option as well. Just trying to match my desires first :-)

Old 03-03-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrjersey View Post
First, the budget could be difficult in the type of areas you are looking for. So I'm going to suggest a community that has most of what you are looking for but might still be out of your budget.

You may want to try South Orange/Maplewood. (2 towns, 1 school district). They are diverse communities with a lot of commuters. They have an Adult school with evening ESL classes for your wife. They both are very walkable towns. They are generally safe although both towns have small areas that are more prone to crime because that's where they border other less desirable towns.

As for your 4yo, he will pick up the language very quickly in a child care environment or even at school. Public (free) schools in NJ should provide what he needs in Kindergarten without having to spend money on a private school. In most towns in NJ, he will need to turn 5 by Nov in order to enter Kindergarten. This varies by town but Nov. 1 is very common.

The adult/child ratio is very low for babies so it is expensive. Very few towns in NJ offer free Pre-K. Most that do are in urban areas. For example, Elizabeth which has a very large Latin American community, offers free Pre-K beginning at age 3. You have to sign up early I think because there is a waiting list. The Elmora Hills section in Elizabeth is nicer and safer and might be an option for a couple of years.

Thanks. I´ll take a look on those towns.

You´ve mentioned some not so good areas, could you tell me which borders to avoid? Sorry for that but by now all I can do is google! So any filter is huge!

Old 03-03-2014, 07:10 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,024,205 times
You will need at least 1 car.

If you are working in IT, and going to Customer sites, Most will not be on mass transit. And your customer will not understand you not showing up on time for meeting, or presentation, because the bus was late. Or it run only once per hour and you did not make the connection, then had to hike in to there site.

Also for shopping, going to school/day care you will need a car to do those functions.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
You will need at least 1 car.

If you are working in IT, and going to Customer sites, Most will not be on mass transit. And your customer will not understand you not showing up on time for meeting, or presentation, because the bus was late. Or it run only once per hour and you did not make the connection, then had to hike in to there site.

Also for shopping, got to school/day care you will need a car to do those functions.
Thanks flyonpa. 1 car we´ll have, just don´t want to use it daily for work.

My activities we´ll be mostly related to project delivery, delays seems to be more acceptable as long as it´s delivered when it´s expected :-). For meetings and presentations is better off arrive earlier!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey