Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 12:36 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,588,795 times

Advertisements

Luckily I havent had much experience lately,,, you could consider going into court early and just learninmg what the best deals are by watching,,, many towns have their quirks about it, maybe. Develop a good relationship with the prosecutor, he usually cuts the deals and the judge approves it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 04:51 PM

6 posts, read 11,857 times
Ok sure. I'll go to the court early and see what happens. Thank you very much.

Old 08-27-2017, 07:51 PM

There is a violation called Obstructing Traffic but its quite though to get, kind of like hitting a home run.
Reason is there are no points or record as far as I know and its less money for them. 99% of the time they don't want to cut you that deal, ohhh and its zero points.

One time I walked in late because I was working late, the court was closing, I wasn't trying to be late, just worked out that way, I asked the prosecutor if he would change it to obstructing, he said the judge might not go for it, asked the judge,,, I was the last case, everybody wanted to go home, banged the hammer $75 good night.

Another time it was a town where I lived and knew everyone,,, deal offered.

Otherwise without some luck or an in they hit you with the unsafe $485 deal.

That's the norm since they make more loot and you can only have maybe 2 in 5 or 10 years, etc.

Old 08-27-2017, 07:56 PM

Here's some info on obstructing,,,maybe you can speak to the prostitutor, as I call them jokingly,, not while there haha,,, explain what happened and tell him you dont want to go through with a trial but would be ok with obstructing???

https://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/3...s-2421577.html

Old 08-28-2017, 09:07 PM

6 posts, read 11,857 times
Thank you very much. I hope I could get it. I spoke with few attorneys they told me to pay the fine and take the 2 points, which will be waived once I take an online driving course. My only concern is it will still go on my record. I hope for the best.

Old 08-29-2017, 04:15 AM

862 posts, read 976,409 times
I would go to court for any moving violation, also many police just want to write a ticket for "something" so if you ever get pulled over for something and he says you were speeding blah blah you can ask "how about a obstructing traffic ticket?" and they may say ok.
I have to drive at night sometimes and I have been pulled over for minor stuff, always they are looking for drunk drivers but they always give a ticket anyway, I just ask for a obstructing ticket and they are usually happy to give it to me.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:30 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by devlin_morgan View Post
Good day, I just got a ticket today from Leonia, NJ cop for “Disregard Stop Sign Regulation or Yield Sign” - 39:4-144. It says 2 points in the fee schedule, and the fine is $85. On March 2013, I had a traffic ticket that I plead guilty and just paid $85 fee with 2 points (I think) for Unsafe Lane Change – 39-4-88B. According to the officer, I made a last minute lane change in the double lines. I didn’t bother fighting it because I had 0 points back then and work with two kids, etc.

My question now is, should I bother fighting in the court for this new ticket? My co-workers told me that it might be useless and that I would probably pay $400+ just to have the points removed. My only worry is getting another ticket in the future/less than three years and having to pay the surcharge, etc. I live in another county (1.5 hours commute) so I’m afraid I might get another ticket resulting in more points or drivers license points/surcharge. Right now, I’m not too worried about insurance company surcharge because my insurance company said they don’t raise the rates for minor infractions like this. I would appreciate your thoughts and advice: Should I fight the current ticket or just pay the fee and take the points?
what exactly did you do, run a stop sign or fail to yield?

Old 08-30-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
what exactly did you do, run a stop sign or fail to yield?
That was from the original poster back in 2014, then another person resurrected this thread recently in 2017. BTW the state law actually requires you to keep right contrary to what that officer stated.

Old 08-30-2017, 12:04 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,629,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchef1 View Post
I would go to court for any moving violation, also many police just want to write a ticket for "something" so if you ever get pulled over for something and he says you were speeding blah blah you can ask "how about a obstructing traffic ticket?" and they may say ok.
I have to drive at night sometimes and I have been pulled over for minor stuff, always they are looking for drunk drivers but they always give a ticket anyway, I just ask for a obstructing ticket and they are usually happy to give it to me.
According to the Bureau of Justice records, approximately 50 percent of all traffic stops result in a summons being issued.No cop (in NJ) is issuing you a obstructing traffic summons instead of what you were actually stopped for (unless you were obstructing traffic). That charge is almost always used in a plea deal once you go to court.

Old 09-01-2017, 08:15 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
According to the Bureau of Justice records, approximately 50 percent of all traffic stops result in a summons being issued.
it seems like my wife gets a ticket 10% of the times stopped and i get a ticket 100% of the time. well, the one time i was pulled over in my town he gave me a written warning instead of an actual ticket so that was my lucky day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey