Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 08:14 PM

5 posts, read 14,435 times

Advertisements

Hi, me and dear hubby are moving to NJ in 4 month both of us will be working in NY. We have 4 kids and i am looking for the best schools in NJ, i don't care about the drive or the cost of the area. I just want a good school for my kids. All of them will be in the elementary grades public or private are both ok, if you have a good recommendation for a christian private school that's great too. I am totally lost i appreciate any help you can give me or any advice about NJ even if not related to the topic.
We are thinking about renting a house around the Chaltham or millburn area are they good areas what about their schools?
Also do you think i should put my kids in NJ's best public schools or go private?
Again thank you for giving me a bit of your time to answer my question and help and super busy and puzzled mama
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 08:20 PM

901 posts, read 2,248,897 times
Money no object move to Milburn

Old 02-13-2014, 04:37 AM

324 posts, read 575,324 times
If you could answer the questions in the Sticky: Questions For Future and Potential Residents, it would be easier to make suggestions. There isn't a consensus on what town has the best school district, so you're going to need some other factors to decide. I think most people in NJ would agree that, for the best education for your kids, go public.

Old 02-13-2014, 04:43 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
The best school district is in your living room and family room after school closes.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:21 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
The best school district is in your living room and family room after school closes.
Not in every case. If the parents are not well-educated, they will not be of much help to the children. Of course, all parents, regardless of their own lack of education and/or ability, can encourage their children by their support and by establishing rules for good study habits.

OP, as the other poster said, answer the questions in the sticky. NJ has some good public school systems, and you should be able to find a town that fits your needs, but people here need more information in order to point you in the right direction.

There is a well-regarded Christian school system in North Jersey:

http://www.easternchristian.org/

Old 02-13-2014, 06:08 AM

31 posts, read 35,278 times
Millburn......

Old 02-13-2014, 06:11 AM

31 posts, read 35,278 times
As to private v public, it comes down to your type of learner. I always imagined we'd switch to private at some point because I thought they'd do better in small environment, but from a-z, kids are happy, thriving and I'm so impressed with their education. In my opinion, this system is really unique and well worth the $$.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:30 AM

23,559 posts, read 17,227,205 times
"According to the New Jersey Department of Education, the state had 591 school districts in operation during the 2009 to 2010 school year. Fourteen school districts existed but did not operate. The districts contained 2,500 total schools"

Interesting that with all the NJ tax money spent on edu across all the edu fiefdoms ...." NJ has some good public school systems"

here is another source to crunch numbers with various sorts

Best School Districts in New Jersey - NJ District Rankings

Old 02-13-2014, 08:03 AM

550 posts, read 965,921 times
Yesterday, I was speaking to someone who works across the hall from our office suite. She and her husband have raised their two kids, one in college and another a junior in high school, in Millburn. When she initially told me about their schooling, she started with a rave: "The education is great." Then when I said that in the town where I live (Livingston), we hear the same thing, but many seem to discount the kids feeling "burnout" by the time they finish high school. Suddenly, her tone changes, and she starts to complain about how ridiculously competitive Millburn is, to a point where, apparently, her younger son swears that he doesn't want to see another kid from his class when he goes to college.

I'm wondering if it's the same everywhere at this point. Maybe the competitive landscape has changed dramatically over the past couple of decades? I really don't remember high school being so challenging, and had a lot of fun, but ended up at what I think is a decent school (Michigan).

Old 02-13-2014, 10:14 AM

51 posts, read 132,369 times
Pingry (Short Hills & Basking Ridge) is decent but it is no Horace Mann for sure. Go there for best results in the area. If you have girls, Kent Place in Summit NJ is good.

Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey