Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you get paperless cell phone bill?
Yes 12 52.17%
No 10 43.48%
What's a cell phone? 0 0%
Other 1 4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 10:32 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times

Advertisements

wow. so far only 2 out of 5 get paperless. I'm surprised given the general audience of an internet message board!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 10:33 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
see, i didn't even consider this. i know a ton of people in their 30s who get the paper bill, but pay online. stamp+envelope+check blows my mind! lol
If I can't pay online via the provider's website (my water and sewer for instance), I log into my Credit Union and have them send the check.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:34 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
oops, i answered the question wrong. LOL. I should be a YES.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
If I can't pay online via the provider's website (my water and sewer for instance), I log into my Credit Union and have them send the check.
same here. i actually get points for using bill pay, so the fact that my water bill still won't do ACH works in my favor...it's the only bill i pay via billpay other than my mortgage.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:36 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,148,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
HEY!

I don't do automatic payments, either. I have heard horror stories where mistakes are made and huge payments taken out and it was hard to get them corrected. I do one-time payments.
Exactly. A few years ago I had automatic payments with Comcast and they overcharged me. It took 6 months to get my money refunded. No more automatic payments for me.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Exactly. A few years ago I had automatic payments with Comcast and they overcharged me. It took 6 months to get my money refunded. No more automatic payments for me.
auto pay irrationally terrifies me. i know that 99% of the time it would probably go on without a hitch, but then there's that time where your gas/electric bill has a couple hundred dollar error....i don't leave money sitting in checking, it sits in savings. it's a matter of a simple transfer, but autopay would likely trigger an overdraft...no good.

which bothers me because i feel with today's technology, a service provider should be able to "ping" your bank to request the money electronically, if it's not there, the bank declines. if it's there, it pays. why would that be difficult? ohhhh...then the bank can't make money off of fees. lol

Old 02-24-2014, 10:41 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
I get as much paperless as possible, so much easier and that's the business I am in.....print, insert, mail.
Just from my work can't believe the amount of people who still get cc statements, 401k quarterlies etc mailed to them

Old 02-24-2014, 10:43 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
Why would you print it at all?
Exactly, I look it over but do not print it

Old 02-24-2014, 11:02 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,966,421 times
Born in the 70s.

I do online auto pay for SOME things (e.g. auto insurance and life insurance).

But Verizon Wireless Bastards can wait while I take my sweetass time writing a check and finding a mailbox in which to drop my formal, written permission for them to receive their money. I remember not too long ago when I still had a dumbphone (no data plan), I got a bill with a bunch of charges for data useage. Supposedly, I "must have clicked on something by accident". Um, no. In the end, it turns out I WAS right, and VERIZON was full of schidt and they took the charges off...and THEN I wrote them a check for the correct amount. I realize that even if I did do auto online bill pay, they could/would still credit my account, but the point is to aggravate them as much as they aggravate me.

Cablevision, same thing (although I will refrain from calling them bastards since they do actually have very good customer service). However, I am not going to let them automatically deduct money from my account. It depends on the service that month. My cable going out was a regular occurence last year for various reasons. Every time it happened, I would call them and get credit for the day(s). And THEN, I would write them a check for the correct amount.

JCPL & PSEG--as already mentioned, it's possible for them to mysteriously over charge you.

I pay by check/mail for my credit card statements as well.

Having a tangible bill mailed to me, having to open it, reading through the bill and then writing the check makes me much more mindful of my spending. It's a reminder every month to analyze my spending and maybe rethink things from time to time. For example, every time I write a check to Cablevision I think to mself what a waste of money cable TV is, and how I should get a smart TV and a Netflix subscription instead.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
Born in the 70s.

I do online auto pay for SOME things (e.g. auto insurance and life insurance).

But Verizon Wireless Bastards can wait while I take my sweetass time writing a check and finding a mailbox in which to drop my formal, written permission for them to receive their money. I remember not too long ago when I still had a dumbphone (no data plan), I got a bill with a bunch of charges for data useage. Supposedly, I "must have clicked on something by accident". Um, no. In the end, it turns out I WAS right, and VERIZON was full of schidt and they took the charges off...and THEN I wrote them a check for the correct amount. I realize that even if I did do auto online bill pay, they could/would still credit my account, but the point is to aggravate them as much as they aggravate me.

Cablevision, same thing (although I will refrain from calling them bastards since they do actually have very good customer service). However, I am not going to let them automatically deduct money from my account. It depends on the service that month. My cable going out was a regular occurence last year for various reasons. Every time it happened, I would call them and get credit for the day(s). And THEN, I would write them a check for the correct amount.

JCPL & PSEG--as already mentioned, it's possible for them to mysteriously over charge you.

I pay by check/mail for my credit card statements as well.

Having a tangible bill mailed to me, having to open it, reading through the bill and then writing the check makes me much more mindful of my spending. It's a reminder every month to analyze my spending and maybe rethink things from time to time. For example, every time I write a check to Cablevision I think to mself what a waste of money cable TV is, and how I should get a smart TV and a Netflix subscription instead.
that accidental data charge happened for a little while, and they fixed it. but they were a pain about it. i have been a customer for years, but now i work there so i know exactly what happened. it was extremely stupid. honestly, i don't think you're causing VZW much aggravation, but i see your point. lol

i do auto pay for my wireless bill and cable bill, but everything else i do it on my own.

i've heard the tangible bill thing - i guess i achieve that because i have all my expenses categorized in mint plus in my excel sheet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: