Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2014, 11:40 AM

25 posts, read 33,702 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My in-laws live in Toms River, NJ and they are getting on in age; they’re in their late 70s. Because they need more supervision, my wife and I decided to move closer to them. We currently live and work in NYC.

Question: Where in South Jersey could I live and still have a decent commute time under 2 hours - 2 hours being the max? (I know commute times depend upon traffic and weather conditions but I am willing to start my commute at 5am to 5:30 am.)

Friends of mine who live in South Jersey and commute to NYC suggested Tinton Falls, Asbury Park, West Long Branch, somewhere near Freehold, and basically areas near or alongside the Garden State Parkway. Ideally, I’d like to relocate within a half hour (or less) north of Toms River to be near more, or frequent NJ Transit Bus and railroad services so I can commute to NYC.

I’m planning to rent first before buying, so I’ll consider condos, town homes,single family homes, etc. I don’thave to worry about school systems since my kids are in college.

Can you please suggest any other areas within my search parameters?

Thank you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 12:44 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie1 View Post
Hello,

My in-laws live in Toms River, NJ and they are getting on in age; they’re in their late 70s. Because they need more supervision, my wife and I decided to move closer to them. We currently live and work in NYC.

Question: Where in South Jersey could I live and still have a decent commute time under 2 hours - 2 hours being the max? (I know commute times depend upon traffic and weather conditions but I am willing to start my commute at 5am to 5:30 am.)

Friends of mine who live in South Jersey and commute to NYC suggested Tinton Falls, Asbury Park, West Long Branch, somewhere near Freehold, and basically areas near or alongside the Garden State Parkway. Ideally, I’d like to relocate within a half hour (or less) north of Toms River to be near more, or frequent NJ Transit Bus and railroad services so I can commute to NYC.

I’m planning to rent first before buying, so I’ll consider condos, town homes,single family homes, etc. I don’thave to worry about school systems since my kids are in college.

Can you please suggest any other areas within my search parameters?

Thank you.

WHERE in New York City do you work? That can make a difference. I live near Tinton Falls. I work in Jersey City, directly across from the WTC, and I will be working at the WTC before the year is out (we're former WTC people who will be returning to work in T4.) My commute is about an hour and half door to door. HOWEVER, before we moved to JC two years ago, I worked in the Flatiron District, and that was closer to two hours.

Staying a few miles inland will save you money in flood insurance (and if you buy a condo, right now only one insurance company is insuring wood-frame condo complexes within two miles of the ocean, meaning the association's insurance, not your personal insurance, but it gets reflected in your maintenance fee).

Tinton Falls is lovely and has lots of townhouses. Red Bank is good, too. Middletown Township is another choice, but the township is huge and ranges from the multi-million-dollar mansions where Bon Jovi lives to little bungalows near the water in the flood zone.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:55 PM

25 posts, read 33,702 times
Mightyqueen801,

Thanks for your response. I work in Lower Manhattan towards the West Side, on the border between Greenwich Villiage and SoHo. I'm close to the Path train Station on Christopher Street off of Hudson street. Don't know if that makes a difference.

Thanks again,

Old 03-10-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie1 View Post
Mightyqueen801,

Thanks for your response. I work in Lower Manhattan towards the West Side, on the border between Greenwich Villiage and SoHo. I'm close to the Path train Station on Christopher Street off of Hudson street. Don't know if that makes a difference.

Thanks again,
That's not too bad. Some of the North Jersey Coast Line trains go to Hoboken, where you can easily switch to the Hoboken-33rd Street line. Christopher Street is the first stop, about eight minutes from Hoboken. (I've been doing this way too long, as you can tell.)

I moved from a shorter commute in North Jersey once my daughter graduated from high school (and though it seems like South Jersey, there really is a much further South Jersey. We're Central/Coastal NJ, and if you look at a map, you could get to work quickly if you could just fly in a straight line over the water.)

Yes, the commute can be long, but if you read or nap on the NJ Transit train it goes by quickly, and if you like the ocean--well, that's one of the reasons I'm there. It's a 15-minute drive to the beach. Places like Red Bank have theaters and shops and restaurants and art galleries, so there are things to do (I found a writers' group--two actually, but liked one better than the other), and in the summer there are free concerts on the beach and seafood festivals and whatnot going on every weekend.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:51 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Aren't there also a few ferries which go to WFC (then take the 1 to Christopher)? Might be shorter, though expensive.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Aren't there also a few ferries which go to WFC (then take the 1 to Christopher)? Might be shorter, though expensive.
Yes, not sure if it's WFC (which I think has a new name) or lower down on the tip of Manhattan, but there are ferries from Atlantic Highlands and Belford (part of Middletown). $635 for the monthly pass, but a great way to commute if that's in your budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey