Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2014, 10:12 AM

535 posts, read 1,411,484 times

Advertisements

I'm having a hard time looking for an apartment to rent in either of these areas: Kearny, Harrison, North Arlington, Clifton, Belleville, Bloomfield or West Orange (No Ghetto or dangerous areas). Our budget is $1,000 and we are looking for a pet friendly place. We are a Hispanic couple, my husband works in Rockaway and I'm intern in the city. I've been looking through Craigslist, Zillow, Trulia and local newspapers, but no success. I've seen three apartments so far, two I didn't like at all and the one I wanted to take somebody rent it right away the next morning I checked it.

Is the North Jersey rental market that tough or I'm not looking in the right places? I've been living in the area for less than a year and I'm not very familiarized with the area yet.

Can somebody please tell me which is the best place or source to look for a decent apartment in the areas I mentioned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 01:28 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,748,737 times
i mean, you should be able to find something with that criteria, but that price point and the pet might be constraining you a bit. But all those cities should have options. Add Ironbound in Newark to your list as well.

Now the rental market is tough right now. So when you see a place, you need to be ready to put down a deposit right then and there if you like it. Prices are only going to go up once the whether gets warm as thats when people tend to move. All those sites you listed are the ones i usually used to find places. Just check them often. Set alerts if the site has them and be ready to jump when you find something you like. Good luck.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:18 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Have you used Realtor.com or bestrentNJ.com?

Pet friendly places are tough to find, I know, especially in North Jersey, especially when you're on the lower end of rental prices. You might want to do what I did when I had to find a place to rent with four cats. I cut through the bs by putting my own ad for on Craigslist--I needed a place in Monmouth County, mentioned the cats, said I needed two bedrooms and would pay up to $1400, and needed a month-to-month lease while I searched for a condo. Not something I would have found easily hunting and pecking through websites and ads, so I just cut to the chase and ASKED. Got three offers and took one (two-family house, LL had four cats himself.)

Old 03-15-2014, 09:01 AM

334 posts, read 731,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina1686 View Post
I'm having a hard time looking for an apartment to rent in either of these areas: Kearny, Harrison, North Arlington, Clifton, Belleville, Bloomfield or West Orange (No Ghetto or dangerous areas). Our budget is $1,000 and we are looking for a pet friendly place. We are a Hispanic couple, my husband works in Rockaway and I'm intern in the city. I've been looking through Craigslist, Zillow, Trulia and local newspapers, but no success. I've seen three apartments so far, two I didn't like at all and the one I wanted to take somebody rent it right away the next morning I checked it.

Is the North Jersey rental market that tough or I'm not looking in the right places? I've been living in the area for less than a year and I'm not very familiarized with the area yet.

Can somebody please tell me which is the best place or source to look for a decent apartment in the areas I mentioned?
How many bedrooms are you looking for? If you are looking for anything more than 1 bedroom, you will have difficulty finding something in decent areas of those towns at your pricepoint. The last time I apartment hunted (granted it was 10 years ago) I found that getting up early, buying a Sunday paper, and calling all the ads that sounded interesting to me by late morning yielded great results. The advantage that you have is that spring seems to be the time when many apartments become available because no one wants to move in the winter.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:40 PM

535 posts, read 1,411,484 times
I looked on the local newspapers, Craigslist, Zillow, Trulia, apartmentguide.com, and I also paid a referral service at northjerseyrentals.info and I haven't been successful. I gave up getting a small dog until I buy a property in the future (Hopefully it happens). I'm looking for a 1 bedroom, we have no kids, we don't smoke, my husband makes decent money and still doesn't help. I call to the ads and most are taken and the few I've been able to see are run down, ugly or ghetto.

Old 03-30-2014, 03:58 PM

78 posts, read 128,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina1686 View Post
I looked on the local newspapers, Craigslist, Zillow, Trulia, apartmentguide.com, and I also paid a referral service at northjerseyrentals.info and I haven't been successful.
Like so many other things in NJ-- apartment hunting is much more of a hassle than it really needs to be. You're doing a lot of the common things, and you're running into many of the common issues. You probably just have to stick with it, or find a realtor that deals in the types of properties you're looking for.

You can certainly find $1000/month one-bedroom apartments in some of the towns you mentioned.... but they will be in the older buildings and you'll have to make some kind of sacrifice related to the area, condition, etc... Your options open up much more once you get to $1200 / month or higher.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:57 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,748,737 times
I think you are going to have to keep at it. You need to check those days first thing in the am and in the evening and get the places as soon as possible. I see a few things in bloomfield that meet that criteria. also see a few in the ironbound. Few in journal square(jersey city). Like the poster above said if you can increase it to $1200 your options will open up a bit. But otherwise, even though some of those places may not be the prettiest neighborhoods, it doesnt mean they are ghetto or unsafe.

Old 10-09-2016, 11:33 AM

10 posts, read 9,850 times
theobserver.com is the local paper. the ads are posted on Tuesday but the actual paper is posted on Wednesday. Most people who are looking for an apartment get the paper in their hands on Tuesday morning between 6 and 7 am so if you are looking on Wednesday they are already rented. Call local relators such as George at Coccia or Oscar at Semaio or Jarlynn at Mid realty. they have been here for years there is also a facebook page called something like for rent Kearny here is the link [url]https://www.facebook.com/groups/259234417576420/[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey