Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 01:07 PM

144 posts, read 163,806 times

Advertisements

I am forced to consider moving out of NYC to NJ. I must confess that I hate traditional suburbs with a passion. Is there any towns in NJ that look more like real towns rather than "a few houses and a mall"? I.e. have some kind of quasi urban center with stores, where you can walk around, bike to places and somewhat get around without a car? Where kids can potentially walk to school? Where parks and recreational areas could be reachable by feet or bike? Where there's some kind of original dining (not just dreadful Applebees and Olive Gardens)? Nice gyms to join? And hopefully where there's some people in their 30-ies. Need to be commutable to NYC. I am NOT considering Hoboken-Weehawken and Jersey City for schools are bad which makes the move moot long-term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 01:21 PM

800 posts, read 1,297,360 times
try morristown, outside of that, its going to be tough to get the urban feel with good shcools

Old 03-24-2014, 01:28 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandweller13 View Post
I am forced to consider moving out of NYC to NJ. I must confess that I hate traditional suburbs with a passion. Is there any towns in NJ that look more like real towns rather than "a few houses and a mall"? I.e. have some kind of quasi urban center with stores, where you can walk around, bike to places and somewhat get around without a car? Where kids can potentially walk to school? Where parks and recreational areas could be reachable by feet or bike? Where there's some kind of original dining (not just dreadful Applebees and Olive Gardens)? Nice gyms to join? And hopefully where there's some people in their 30-ies. Need to be commutable to NYC. I am NOT considering Hoboken-Weehawken and Jersey City for schools are bad which makes the move moot long-term.
Red Bank, but it's not a short commute. It's a commuter town with a rail station, though, and yes, with a real walkable/bikeable downtown, good independent/non-chain restaurants, theater, art, etc. IMO, worth the longer commute. I don't live in Red Bank, but I do live only a couple of miles away and go there frequently.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:37 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,981,886 times
Summit, Montclair, Rutherford, Ridgewood, Westfield, Madison have many of your elements.

(Do you actually need good schools, or just "someplace where kids can potentially walk to school"?)

Old 03-24-2014, 01:54 PM

595 posts, read 677,215 times
There are many of these towns. Your budget and tolerance for commute will determine if they're suitable for you. Generally speaking, shorter commutes and nicer towns equals bigger mortgage.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:57 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,658,721 times
You can always find whatever your looking for it but all comes at a price , so if you told people here what your budget is then it would make it a whole lot quicker to get you a more accurate location.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:58 PM

181 posts, read 1,122,180 times
Have you Considered Fort Lee is is right across from the GW Bridge and the town has a urban feel with good schiools and parks nearby

Old 03-24-2014, 02:05 PM

my budget is up to $1.5M. It is going to be a long time until my kids will be in high school (which is when school quality really matters) and I may well be living on the west coast when it happens, so "good schools" is important for resale value but not the most important criteria. My commute tolerance is low. Ideally I would like to keep it to 30 minutes on train/bus or 30 min drive to the tunnel. I star work early and leave late, so traffic wouldn't be an issue most of the time.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:36 PM

Montclair looks pretty decent - what's the catch?

Old 03-24-2014, 02:44 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,658,721 times
Ridgewood is a good spot , Montclair has its ghettoness to it lol .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey