Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 03:33 AM

4 posts, read 5,933 times

Advertisements

Hi
I've taken a job working in NY starting in April and now have the challenge of finding somewhere for my family (wife and two daughters, ages 18 mnths and 4) to live. I'll be working in the Englewood Cliffs and Manhatten.

I don't want to spend all my day travelling but want to be somewhere quite with good schools. So where should I start my search.

I'll be visiting at the end of January and was hoping to have a look around and meet some real estate agents, can anyone recomend any?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 06:08 AM

64 posts, read 112,410 times
Default You may try Warren, Watchung, Gillette area...

You may go to Craigslist http://cnj.craigslist.org/search/rfs?query=warren&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max (broken link) to find Warren, Watchung or Gillette ... area, especially, area near NJ Train Station where you can have easy access to NYC. You can also search for Train Stn http://cnj.craigslist.org/search/rfs?query=Train+Stn&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max (broken link) on Craigslist to any listing near NYC train.

Once you are familiar with the towns or area you like, you can also go to realtor.com to find good realtors whose listing matches your criteria and email to the listing agent for more detailed info.

If you come to visit, you can bid 2.5* hotel at priceline.com in Basking Ridge, NJ area for $37 to get a wonderful Courtyard by Marriott hotel. That will save you lots of hotel money. Another one is 3* hotel at Somerset NJ for $33 to get Crown Plaza Hotel (was Somerset Marriott).

Old 12-29-2007, 06:08 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,948,630 times
What's your budget and how long a commute can you tolerate?

And it's Manhattan.

Old 12-29-2007, 07:58 AM

239 posts, read 1,141,470 times
we just moved from London UK to Westfield, NJ, and we love it. The commute to Manhattan by train or bus is about an hour depending on where you are going, tons of people that live here work in NYC. The schools here are excellent, and Westfield has a charming walkable downtown area with lots of shopping, restaurants, etc. We can walk to town much like we did in London.

We have a great agent who worked with us long-distance for nearly a year! And we found the most perfect house in the end. PM me if you have any questions, I'd be happy to help!

Old 12-29-2007, 02:32 PM

Looks like you are in the same area, any idea's how easy it is to get to Englewood Cliffs. I will be spending at least half my time there and Manhattan the rest.
I'm hoping for not more than an hour commute and renting in the region of $2500 a month. Looking at Realtor.com I think this is realistic?

Old 12-29-2007, 03:40 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,948,630 times
How big a place (bedrooms/bathrooms) do you have in mind?

Old 12-30-2007, 12:05 PM

32 posts, read 126,810 times
Englewood Cliffs is a beautiful town, just across the Hudson River from NYC. It is probably a 20-30 min ride to the city. Try to have your realtor look for homes in Englewood Cliffs or nearby towns like Tenalfy which is a great town with great schools. There is a train station in Tenafly for transportation to NYC.

Good luck.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:41 PM

We are looking for 4 beds or 3 but with office space, not too fussed about the number of bathrooms although with a wife and two daughters growing up it will be an issue sooner or later.

Tenafly might be a little out of our price range looking on realtor.com, any ideas on other areas heading out towards Ridgewood and Paterson (only because I can see them on the map).

Thanks

Old 12-30-2007, 07:05 PM

32 posts, read 126,810 times
Check out Oradell and Westwood. Rutherford, Wood-Ridge, and Hasbrouck Heights are also close and have great schools.

Old 12-30-2007, 07:17 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,337,416 times
what is you budget?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey