Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 10:10 AM

343 posts, read 1,313,928 times

Advertisements

I'm off to Atlantic City next weekend with a couple of girlfriends. We prefer to take the train from penn. However when I checked the sat schedule I see 4-5 hour commute with 2 stops.
Are there any trains that do it in 2-3 hours? The other option is the bus but none of us are bus fans.

The time is flexible for us, we will be there one night.

How do people get to Atlantic City from NY without a car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 10:17 AM

882 posts, read 1,670,353 times
Bus is your most direct option. The Jersey Coast line tracks only get down to the Belmar area, not to AC. To go by train, you have to take the Northeast Corridor line to 30th Street Station in Philadelphia, then transfer to the Atlantic City line. You could get an Amtrak train to cut out the transfer in Trenton, but that's still well over an hour ride just to get to Philly, then you have to transfer to AC line which is mostly single track, runs slowly and infrequently. You could also transfer to the riverline in Trenton and then the AC line in Pennsauken but that will take munch longer, though will be cheaper.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:46 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times
When it comes to rail service from NYC to Atlantic city you basically have three options.

1. Catch the NJT Northeast Corridor Line from NY Penn station to Trenton; From Trenton transfer to the SEPTA's Trenton Line to 30th Street station; From 30th Street station transfer to the NJT Atlantic City Line until you get to AC. (3 trains, 2 transfers, probably the most time consuming)

2. Catch the NJT Northeast Corridor Line from NY Penn station to Trenton; From Trenton transfer to the NJT Riverline to the Pennsauken Transit Center; From the Pennsauken Transit Center transfer to the NJT Atlantic City Line until you get to AC. (3 trains, 2 transfers, this is the cheapest option and I would probably use this option if possible).

3. Catch Amtrak Northeast Corridor Line from NY Penn station to Philadelphia(30th street station); From 30th Street station transfer to the NJT Atlantic City Line until you get to AC. ( 2 Trains, 1 transfer, less time consuming, by far the most expensive option)

As for buses, NJT route #319 is a one-seat ride from New York City-Atlantic City but unfortunately it's a seasonal route. So it might not be in service now.

New Jersey Transit

Old 04-27-2014, 11:27 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,476,108 times
Its kind of stupid that NJ transit does not have a direct train like from NYC to atlantic city. I'm sure more people would come to AC if the line was built. Stopping at philly and trenton is a pain. That's like a 3 hour ride. Why isn't the Jersey Coast line extended?

Old 04-27-2014, 11:34 AM

882 posts, read 1,670,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
Its kind of stupid that NJ transit does not have a direct train like from NYC to atlantic city. I'm sure more people would come to AC if the line was built. Stopping at philly and trenton is a pain. That's like a 3 hour ride. Why isn't the Jersey Coast line extended?
Glancing at the map, I'm not sure there are even tracks in place running that far south. And if there are, I guess NJTransit doesn't think purchasing right-of-way would be worth it.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:39 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,012,241 times
Check out the Blue Comet

Old 04-27-2014, 01:57 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
Quote:
NJT tried an express train service (ACES). It started at NY Penn, stopped at Newark Penn, and the next stop was AC. It ran down the Northeast Corridor through Philly then down the AC Line. The trip was about 2.5 hours and $29. The train had VIP lounges, food and drink service. I used it once, and it was a nice ride and a great value. But ridership was abysmal. If you want to talk about stupid, the only thing more stupid than not running an express service to AC, is running one that nobody uses.

Atlantic City Express Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-27-2014, 02:30 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,110,561 times
Quote:
Where are you thinking it would go? There have historically never been tracks running all the way down the coast to Atlantic City.

Here's a map of NJ rail lines: http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/gis/maps/rail.pdf

The historic route south to Seaside Park is long since abandoned and built over, the bridge is gone, etc. Look at Bay Head on Google Maps, it'd be utterly impossible to extend that rail line in any direction.

Old 04-27-2014, 02:55 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,012,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
NJT tried an express train service (ACES). It started at NY Penn, stopped at Newark Penn, and the next stop was AC. It ran down the Northeast Corridor through Philly then down the AC Line. The trip was about 2.5 hours and $29. The train had VIP lounges, food and drink service. I used it once, and it was a nice ride and a great value. But ridership was abysmal. If you want to talk about stupid, the only thing more stupid than not running an express service to AC, is running one that nobody uses.

The problem was ACES was launched at the start of the financial mess in 2009

Old 04-27-2014, 04:10 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post

I think the biggest mistake of the ACES is that you have to leave the state of NJ just to get to the lower part of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey