Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 07:37 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i didn't see you quote another person. i just saw you make a statement. the primary group of people opposing her speaking were faculty.
I don't quote myself. Did the faculty also storm Old Queens?

Quote:
has nothing to do with whether I like the talking point. it's b.s. and it goes both ways so don't pretend that it's something unique to liberals. i've seen conservatives throw a fit over who speaks at an event just as liberals have.
We're not talking about other cases, we're talking about this particular case.

Quote:
And yeah, that's what happened...if you choose to believe Ms. Rice.
That's what I said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 07:51 PM

934 posts, read 1,063,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Find where I said that, please.
"the fact that only 50 or so people protested actually shows how ridiculous the idea of protesting her was in the first place." - You.

A minority of people did it, so it must be a dumb idea. Faulty logic.

Pretty much every protest is by a minority of people. That's kind of what a protest is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Kids dont protest enough nowadays. So what if it was "only" 50. This generation's getting hosed in many ways. They should be pissed off.

And millions of people think her & many in the Bush Admin. are war criminals for lying us into a war we didn't need or want. She can't hide behind her academic credentials just like Colin Powell can't hide behind his uniform after he pimped for Bush/Cheney at the UN.
Amen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Not hypocritical if the post from which the advice to pipe down was given, was irrational. And also hyperbolic and pretentious. First of all, it was a lie. You were not "incredibly sad" about the posters comment. Nonsensical statements of that ilk erase any legitimate points you might want to make. Stick to critical analysis of what you disagree with, and dispense with the silly and vapid linguistic emoticons.
Speaking of pretentious... see: your entire post. I can do without your lecturing, thanks.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:58 PM

Am I the only one who didn't know, until late last night, that the majority of the protestors were muslim students and muslim faculty?

How old were the Boston Marathon bombers?

Anyway, this kid:

Quote:
Carmelo Cintrón Vivas, media spokesperson for the No Rice Campaign and a senior at Rutgers University. He was one of the organizers of the protests and was involved in every direct action that the university students staged.
was taken to task on the news last night, and it was hysterical to watch him not be able to answer any of the accusations he tossed out about Condi.

He looked like a fool.

This is why children shouldn't play with adults, they will lose...

Old 05-06-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Am I the only one who didn't know, until late last night, that the majority of the protestors were muslim students and muslim faculty?
Why does that matter?

And also, just as a point of information, I went the the University of Delaware for undergrad and of course because Joe Biden went there, he comes to campus all the time. Guess what? Kids protest every single time he comes. So, that shows two things. 1.) It's not just conservatives, so you can stop playing victim and whining about double standards and 2.) The speaker can choose to ignore these people and come anyway, as Joe Biden usually does. Condi chose not to do that. I respect her decision, but the decision was still hers not to come.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:25 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by designer_genes View Post
"the fact that only 50 or so people protested actually shows how ridiculous the idea of protesting her was in the first place." - You.

A minority of people did it, so it must be a dumb idea. Faulty logic.

Pretty much every protest is by a minority of people. That's kind of what a protest is…
I did not say what you think I'm saying. You keep putting words in my mouth, starting with the "politics aside," thinking I mean more than what I am quite simply saying. I'm not trying to say we should silence the minority because they're the minority. I'm saying that in this particular instance, I THINK the minority made a stupid decision. Anyway, I don't think it's dumb because it's a minority decision. It's dumb because I think it's dumb - pretty simple. I disagree with the protesting. I don't need to explain myself, I am allowed to disagree just like you and others are allowed to agree. Quite honestly, IMO it would have been even dumber if the entire freaking campus protested (the majority). I'm glad it was only a small number. To me, protesting this is stupid regardless - minority, majority, exactly half and half, I don't care - still dumb. This is my opinion.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by designer_genes View Post
Why does that matter?
Why do you think that might matter? Wake up.

Quote:
And also, just as a point of information, I went the the University of Delaware for undergrad and of course because Joe Biden went there, he comes to campus all the time. Guess what? Kids protest every single time he comes. So, that shows two things. 1.) It's not just conservatives, so you can stop playing victim and whining about double standards and 2.) The speaker can choose to ignore these people and come anyway, as Joe Biden usually does. Condi chose not to do that. I respect her decision, but the decision was still hers not to come.
Hold the phone for a second, just want to clarify:

You said:

Quote:
I remember the Bush/Gore election and the hanging chads and waiting by the TV with Florida still too close to call. I remember 9/11 vividly (you could see the smoke from the roof of my school). I was 11 years old.
How do you know "you" could see the smoke from the roof of your school?

Then you say:

Quote:
I just graduated college last year.
So 2013? That would make you, at most, 23 years old, yes?

And then you said this:

Quote:
I went the the University of Delaware for undergrad
Where are you doing your post grad? Why bother when you are already a "scientist" with a job who is
Quote:
working on ground breaking work
?

I have enough family members who have MDs and PhDs in the "sciences" to know that no "just graduated from a 4 year college working on their post-grad" kid is considered a "scientist" and is working on some ground breaking anything (other than changing the coffee filter more than once a day). And by the way? It's all "ground breaking" until it fails miserably. At least that's what my cousin who has her MD and PhD…. and specialized in Infectious Disease and chose the research route, as opposed to the clinical "physician" route, says.

And she's old, like 39 years old.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:30 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,981,886 times
Quote:
I did not say what you think I'm saying. You keep putting words in my mouth, starting with the "politics aside," thinking I mean more than what I am quite simply saying. I'm not trying to say we should silence the minority because they're the minority. I'm saying that in this particular instance, I THINK the minority made a stupid decision. Anyway, I don't think it's dumb because it's a minority decision. It's dumb because I think it's dumb - pretty simple. I disagree with the protesting. I don't need to explain myself, I am allowed to disagree just like you and others are allowed to agree. Quite honestly, IMO it would have been even dumber if the entire freaking campus protested (the majority). I'm glad it was only a small number. To me, protesting this is stupid regardless - minority, majority, exactly half and half, I don't care - still dumb. This is my opinion.
that's your right. just as it was the right of the protestors to voice their opinion. just as it was Rice's right to back out of making the speech (though I THINK it would have been better for her to keep the commitment and face her detractors rather than back away).

Old 05-07-2014, 06:38 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,077,463 times
Quote:
So a tiny group of 50 on a campus of thousands protested. But who pulled the plug on this gap-toothed war monger? SHE DID HERSELF! I'm sure in consultation with Barchi. She can lie to millions of Americans a decade ago with a straight face yet is scared off by some college kids? Sack up, Conda-skeeza! Your actions do have consequences out there in the general public even if Fox News still adores you.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Why do you think that might matter? Wake up.

Hold the phone for a second, just want to clarify:

You said:

How do you know "you" could see the smoke from the roof of your school?

Then you say:

So 2013? That would make you, at most, 23 years old, yes?

And then you said this:

Where are you doing your post grad? Why bother when you are already a "scientist" with a job who is ?

I have enough family members who have MDs and PhDs in the "sciences" to know that no "just graduated from a 4 year college working on their post-grad" kid is considered a "scientist" and is working on some ground breaking anything (other than changing the coffee filter more than once a day). And by the way? It's all "ground breaking" until it fails miserably. At least that's what my cousin who has her MD and PhD…. and specialized in Infectious Disease and chose the research route, as opposed to the clinical "physician" route, says.

And she's old, like 39 years old.
I honestly don't know what you're implying about Muslims, but I guess I really don't care because it's inevitably something bigoted, so I'll just leave that be.

I know that you could see the smoke from my school because they told us we couldn't go outside because there were "too many bees." Later teachers informed parents that it was because you could see the smoke from the buildings.

I'm 23 years old and doing my PhD at Johns Hopkins. And I don't change coffee filters. If you honestly think that's what being a PhD is, you have an extremely misguided view. I work my ass off. I work more hours than most people with an office job AND I take extremely difficult classes at the same time. And every field is different. What applies in Infectious Disease doesn't always apply in my field (Human Genetics) and vice versa.

Yes, that's true, in science experiments don't always work and things don't always pan out. But, you're in it for the long haul. And when stuff DOES work, it makes all the troubleshooting and frustrating times worth it. You have to have patience to work in this field.

Yes, it is a job. I get paid just like anyone else gets paid because I contribute original research to the University. Like I said before, I don't have to justify myself to you or anyone else to know my work is valuable and that I work hard at what I do. You should talk to my boss or any other higher up in my department before you say I am not considered a scientist because I think they would beg to differ with you. Principal Investigators would be nowhere without their students who actually do the bulk of the work in the lab.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:49 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
that's your right. just as it was the right of the protestors to voice their opinion. just as it was Rice's right to back out of making the speech (though I THINK it would have been better for her to keep the commitment and face her detractors rather than back away).
Of course it's their right. Just like, yes, it's my right to think it's dumb. Circles here…

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
So a tiny group of 50 on a campus of thousands protested. But who pulled the plug on this gap-toothed war monger? SHE DID HERSELF! I'm sure in consultation with Barchi. She can lie to millions of Americans a decade ago with a straight face yet is scared off by some college kids? Sack up, Conda-skeeza! Your actions do have consequences out there in the general public even if Fox News still adores you.
Serious question, how often do you hear of students protesting their commencement speaker? I genuinely don't know. Is it common? Is it maybe once a year, as in one school out of them all every May, is it once every few years? Does anyone even know? Probably not. But I do know that I don't hear news stories like this often. Maybe I did this time because it pertains to NJ and I live here, but this particular story also made national and even international news (I saw it on a British site), so for some reason it's a big deal - that reason could be because it is uncommon for students to protest their speaker or because it's Rice and she's rather controversial.

I genuinely don't blame her for backing out. If people (even just 50) had that much of a problem with her speaking, why go? She obviously felt like she wasn't welcomed enough by the students, maybe she didn't want to spoil their graduation (less likely but still) - who knows. It must be awkward knowing - at a liberal school when many college age people (definitely the majority) are liberal - that there were people who were so against you delivering the commencement address they decided to protest and it made national news. Maybe she didn't want the drama or the attention from it. Maybe she didn't think it was worth it. We don't know her reasoning. But do I think it's stupid she backed out? Not any more stupid than I think protesting her was in the first place. At this point, I think asking her to speak was the most stupid decision of them all. Whoever made that decision, along with the LeGrand debacle, must be facing some sort of backlash at some level. What a mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey