Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 08:48 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,127,983 times

Advertisements

I agree with chconnol and hope that it becomes true one day. Can't imagine cities like Dallas and Atlanta will thrive much more when gas hits $6/gallon like it is in Europe.

I went to Dallas, Austin and Ft. Lauderdale recently and am appalled how people have to drive everywhere! "Hope in the car Billy, we gotta go get a pint of milk!" :P

It's simply absurd, other European cities are trying hard to cut down on gas usage by biking and using mass transit, we should be able to as well. Urban planning has gotta change! Homes should be built around a walkable downtown area so people can just bike to it to for a bite to eat or do simple grocery shopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 09:52 PM

2 posts, read 7,157 times
chconnol, I couldn't agree with you more. You can already see it happening in NYC and Jersey City isn't far behind. And as more people get priced out of Downtown and start looking in the very attractive areas beyond in JC, the progress will follow.

apvbguy, I'm originally from Brooklyn, and have seen neighborhoods that were previously untenable change in the blink of an eye. I was priced out of Harlem and Bed-Stuy (!!) which was practically unheard of. And the ripple effect hasn't stopped even in Bushwick and East NY. I have seen people's expectations change neighborhoods, and I expect the same to happen in JC

Old 02-23-2008, 01:36 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,373,687 times
I just moved OUT of JC 2 months ago. Couldnt be happier! JC was by far the worst place I have ever lived. I bought a condo 1 BED for $240K in 2005. Used to live in monmouth country, Marlboro. Now, that is a huge difference. Some notes about JC

1- If you are white, you are in the minority.
2 - Yes, English is the 2nd or even 3rd language spoken. Most often its Spanish #1 and Indian #2, and chinese.
3 - JC is diverse, but very segregated. India city (next to white castle) and JSQ. Indians all over. Few blocks away, blacks. Walks another few blocks, chinese. They all try to keep together, but thats impossible and thats where issues happen
4 - Parking - Forget it. Better than hoboken, but first year I moved there got about 6 Alternate side parking tickets. I even had a guy put his ticket on my car (same make/model/color). I went to courthouse and said I never even parked here. Lady said is your name Julio Perez, and said no! She said, this aint your ticket. Who the heck does that?!?!?!? JC people do!
5 - I lived on one of the most prestigious streets in the heights - Sherman Place. Victorian houses up and down the block. But...you walk 3 blocks down to Tonnelle Ave , you can always find a hooker or hookers at any given day.
6 - Commute - walked 1mile each way to JSQ. Path was nice, but on weekends always stopped at Hoboken, long times.
7- Condo - Full of mice! I must have caught atleast 30-40 Mice since I lived there. Roaches - all the time! And our building was always kept clean! I cant even imagine the dirtier buildings around. Area in general is dirty, roach and mice infested.

Anyways, Sold my condo at a 25K LOSS!! 1 OFFER! So lucky we had a buyer. JC is not 'up and coming' Try it has been stagnant and going either way for years. I give it atleast another 10 YEARS for anything good to come out of it. I

Stay Away!

Old 03-20-2008, 02:22 PM

6 posts, read 17,376 times
who the hell is posting this nonsense. Downtown JC Is as safe as any other big city. Do you think hoboken or Manhattan doesn't have crime. I lived in Hamilton park for 4 years now and work at Exchange Place. Walk around downtown at all different times of the day/nite and NEVER have had one problem.

fischfan13
you don't know what ur talking about.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:27 PM

717 posts, read 774,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkap11 View Post
who the hell is posting this nonsense. Downtown JC Is as safe as any other big city. Do you think hoboken or Manhattan doesn't have crime. I lived in Hamilton park for 4 years now and work at Exchange Place. Walk around downtown at all different times of the day/nite and NEVER have had one problem.

fischfan13
Yeah, there are different sections of JC. Newport and Paulous Hook are great.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:28 PM

6 posts, read 17,376 times
For the stuck up Marlbro girl a ? Why would you move to the heights? You can't compare any part of JC to downtown. That's like comparing the upper east side of Manhattan to Wall St. Same island totally different area. Don't steer people away from JC because u couldn't handle a little diversity. If ur from Marlbro ur daddy should of bought u a condo in Hamilton Park or Paulas Hook where it is 99% white.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:08 PM

16 posts, read 112,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
I agree with chconnol and hope that it becomes true one day. Can't imagine cities like Dallas and Atlanta will thrive much more when gas hits $6/gallon like it is in Europe.
Actually, I am currently living in London (moving to JC in 2 weeks, god help me!) but gas is actually over $8 a gallon here...and although there is alot of traffic in the suburbs, people rely very heavily on public transport here. I've actually lived 2 years here without a car, and while it's been ok most of the time, walking almost a mile with a full grocery shop is a bit trying sometimes!

Old 03-20-2008, 06:49 PM

828 posts, read 3,139,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkap11 View Post

fischfan13
Please stop being so naive.
I have posted the stats on crime in JC more than once...it is your choice if you want to listen or not. I worked in JC for 15 years. I lived next door in Bayonne for 30 years. My in-laws live downtown right now. Paint the prettiest picture that you want in your mind, but you will not fool anyone but yourself.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:45 AM

7,057 posts, read 19,324,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post
I just moved OUT of JC 2 months ago. Couldnt be happier! JC was by far the worst place I have ever lived. I bought a condo 1 BED for $240K in 2005. Used to live in monmouth country, Marlboro. Now, that is a huge difference. Some notes about JC

1- If you are white, you are in the minority.
2 - Yes, English is the 2nd or even 3rd language spoken. Most often its Spanish #1 and Indian #2, and chinese.
3 - JC is diverse, but very segregated. India city (next to white castle) and JSQ. Indians all over. Few blocks away, blacks. Walks another few blocks, chinese. They all try to keep together, but thats impossible and thats where issues happen
4 - Parking - Forget it. Better than hoboken, but first year I moved there got about 6 Alternate side parking tickets. I even had a guy put his ticket on my car (same make/model/color). I went to courthouse and said I never even parked here. Lady said is your name Julio Perez, and said no! She said, this aint your ticket. Who the heck does that?!?!?!? JC people do!
5 - I lived on one of the most prestigious streets in the heights - Sherman Place. Victorian houses up and down the block. But...you walk 3 blocks down to Tonnelle Ave , you can always find a hooker or hookers at any given day.
6 - Commute - walked 1mile each way to JSQ. Path was nice, but on weekends always stopped at Hoboken, long times.
7- Condo - Full of mice! I must have caught atleast 30-40 Mice since I lived there. Roaches - all the time! And our building was always kept clean! I cant even imagine the dirtier buildings around. Area in general is dirty, roach and mice infested.

Anyways, Sold my condo at a 25K LOSS!! 1 OFFER! So lucky we had a buyer. JC is not 'up and coming' Try it has been stagnant and going either way for years. I give it atleast another 10 YEARS for anything good to come out of it. I

Stay Away!
$240K for a 1-BR in the Heights? Without knowing the specs, I'd say you could've done way better than that. In 2005 you could have gotten 1-BRs downtown if you wanted to live in a majority white, majority English neighborhood. And parking tickets?? That's your own fault. Move your car. And while the story is bizarre, if the ticket didn't have your name, lic plate #, etc., why go to court at all? Throw the ticket away and move on w/ life.

Anyway, JC isn't for everyone. I hope you're happier wherever you are now.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:41 PM

88 posts, read 536,405 times
Stay away from Dwight St? I caught a flat from somewhere in between Communipaw and JFK blvd from all those damn potholes, had to turn onto Dwight....what a freakin nightmare!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey