Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 06:12 AM

4,156 posts, read 4,176,092 times

Advertisements

If you work from home, then Nova.

You have options. You don't have to buy in the big city. Suburbs are great choice.

I work from home too. If my wife support a move, I will move out of Nj in a heartbeat. The tax is so Damn high and I do not see a reason why it can be so high. And trust me, it will go a lot higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 06:43 AM

26 posts, read 46,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmago View Post
Hey folks,

My family (myself, husband 3 year girl and 7 yr old boy) are moving jobs and have options of choosing job location as NJ or NOVA. We need advise on these criterias to choose which is a better option:
Here is our requirements:
1) Top notch public schools (def a must)
2) diverse communities (we are of indian origin); something cultural would be nice
3) First we will be looking to rent, then eventually buying a house; Budget will be $500K.
4) neighborhoods - we rather live in communities townhomes or SF rather than be on a active street
5) Safety - this is of course a given; I want my son to be able to play outside, ride his bike w/o worrying
6) Family Oriented places with lots of activities for kids outdoors in summers and indoors in winters
7) Property, Insurance and Income tax friendly

8) Where is cost of living and housing prices better
8) Whcih state is better in School system?

Thanks in advance

Wow, you just plagiarized my thread. At least give credit to the author when doing so. :-)

Old 06-05-2014, 06:58 AM

28 posts, read 29,365 times
Default Sorry for the trouble

I jsut had exact same questions in my mind along with we have two states to choose from.Thankyouf ro your writiing and crisp thoughts.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:04 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
I'm not a fan of NOVA but taxes are lower. Homes are cheaper in my neck of the woods than NOVA but taxes are higher. You can get comparable school districts in both.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:05 AM

289 posts, read 608,446 times
I am a NJ resident but used to travel to NOVA on business trips. I can tell you that cost of living is a bit higher in NJ. But the quality if life is better in NJ, basically, traffic is killer in NOVA region. All the roads are crowded during the daytime hours, all roads. Also, housing is going to be more expensive in NOVA region. You can forget SF home for $500K in NOVA, most newer communities are 4 level townhomes going for 500K to 700K. I know taxes and insurance are higher in NJ, but you have to ask yourself- will an extra 5K to 8K worth the traffic and crowd of NOVA? For me, it is not.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:25 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,253,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4NJseasons View Post
I am a NJ resident but used to travel to NOVA on business trips. I can tell you that cost of living is a bit higher in NJ. But the quality if life is better in NJ, basically, traffic is killer in NOVA region. All the roads are crowded during the daytime hours, all roads. Also, housing is going to be more expensive in NOVA region. You can forget SF home for $500K in NOVA, most newer communities are 4 level townhomes going for 500K to 700K. I know taxes and insurance are higher in NJ, but you have to ask yourself- will an extra 5K to 8K worth the traffic and crowd of NOVA? For me, it is not.
This is true too... my parents live right on the beltway, with (in theory) easy access to inner and outer suburbs and it's totally crazy how long they have to drive, and get stuck in traffic, just to do routine shopping. Rush hour, especially on the local roads, seems pretty much all the time. I think the infrastructure there is way worse; too many cars, not enough roads, and everything spread out too far.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:48 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4NJseasons View Post
This is basically how I feel about NOVA. For a NJ native to say I wouldn't live in NOVA b/c of traffic is a testament to how insanely crappy that situation is there. Everything is new, housing is lovely, but the headaches in daily life getting from A to B just wouldn't be worth it to me.

There are only 2 places I've been stuck in bumper to bumper traffic on a Sunday morning with nothing to "explain" it (accident, etc): NOVA and LA.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:58 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,525,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
This is basically how I feel about NOVA. For a NJ native to say I wouldn't live in NOVA b/c of traffic is a testament to how insanely crappy that situation is there. Everything is new, housing is lovely, but the headaches in daily life getting from A to B just wouldn't be worth it to me.

There are only 2 places I've been stuck in bumper to bumper traffic on a Sunday morning with nothing to "explain" it (accident, etc): NOVA and LA.
....It's a pain in the butt getting around Jersey too

Old 06-06-2014, 06:25 PM

28 posts, read 29,365 times
Can someone help me with what is good in Nj and whats good in NOVA

Old 06-06-2014, 06:51 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,486,386 times
NOVA

For all the reasons already stated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey