Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 09:36 PM

393 posts, read 1,086,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
Oh I know what it means.

Besides I know people who were actually born in Africa that take offense when someone refers to them as African-American.

Ok...back to the topic unless someone wants to start a new one regarding this.

Have a nice day.
People born in Africa, are not African-American, they are African, the beginning of all civilization.

Dutch, born in Africa are known as Afrikaners.

"We", are all of African descent..

Google: History Channel, Beginning of Man

Sligogirl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 06:52 PM

57 posts, read 198,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrishP7 View Post
I really don't think this post was intended for racial offense. Sister just wants to find a Black Hair salon..simple. No pun intended, i'm sure. Why does everything have to be a black or white issue all the time? Get a grip.
People's ain't got nothing better to do.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:28 PM

9 posts, read 58,851 times
Default hair stylist referral

Go to Salon Femi. In Montclair. I'm from Paterson and I go there. a few of us go. This salon is first in specailizing in "hair care" that is what u need. They use top of the line hair products and even customise the products according to what ur hair and scalp needs. I would reccommend a stylist name Dujour. All of the stylist are great, but she is very naturing and pays attention to her clients needs and very honest. She is into hair care first. And if u want a weave she is the only one I would reccommend to do it there.
Salon Femi
33-39 Greenwood Ave
Montclair,NJ
973-783-7999
stylist: Dujour

Quote:
Originally Posted by neekah18 View Post
Does anyone know of any good African American Beauty salons in Northern NJ???
Please do not recommend any in downtown Paterson because I have found they are simply hair stylists and having my hair abused by having a small tooth comb raked through my once thick hair is not amusing at all. After 10 years of that I am ready to move on

I usually go to Dominicans but I think I want to get a sewn in weave to give my hair a much needed break (and to grow it back!!!)
Any honest and genuine suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

Old 04-30-2009, 08:32 PM

9 posts, read 58,851 times
oh and this girl can do any type of hair European and any type of Ethnic HAIR. tHAT'S WHAT MAKES HER BETTER THAN THE REST.

SALON FEMI 973-783-7999 DUJOUR
TRUST SHE IS GREAT

Old 07-18-2009, 09:17 AM

1 posts, read 5,757 times
Default African American Beauty Salon in North Jersey

Try Monique's Salon in Jersey City, NJ on Storms Ave. The owner, Monique and Sophia are excellent! Sew-in Weaves are incredible...

Good Luck!

Old 10-20-2010, 02:43 PM

4 posts, read 27,554 times
smh at the foolishness....

Old 10-09-2011, 09:46 AM

1 posts, read 3,881 times
If your looking for a salon with outstanding customer service, and great knowledge of hair and products. Salon Femi( Montclair,Nj) is the place to be. It's a warm and welcoming atmosphere. Everyone does great hair, even down to the shampoo. You'll love it!

Natural Allday

Old 10-17-2011, 11:50 AM

1,271 posts, read 3,232,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STrapani1105 View Post
come to think of it... I have never seen a black guy get his hair cut at the place I got to. i think a barber shop... or a salon is a social place for everyone, regardless of whatever the races of the people inside are. the rich white women go into the salon and read cosmo magazine while they have that giant space helmet thing over their head and she tells everyone about the party shes having on Saturday and Mildred isn't invited... i love the Somerset Hills area
It's not a race issue. Simply put, salons that don't have special training in dealing with the extremely tightly curled hair typical to people of African descent cannot cut that type of hair correctly. They make mistakes, and it looks terrible. Of course, this isn't necessarily exclusive to blacks--I know of at least one white person who frequents black hair salons because her hair is so curly most standard salons can't cut and style it properly. They certainly don't treat her differently and appreciate the patronage. That said, they would probably advise a white person with straight hair to go elsewhere--not because they're racist, but because their specialty is in very curly hair (and they may not be much good at cutting straight hair).

There are also cultural things like hair weaves, which are very common in the black community but still rare among other races (although more common now than in the past), and thus are much more likely to be found in salons catering primarily to black customers.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:01 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNY View Post
It's not a race issue. Simply put, salons that don't have special training in dealing with the extremely tightly curled hair typical to people of African descent cannot cut that type of hair correctly. They make mistakes, and it looks terrible. Of course, this isn't necessarily exclusive to blacks--I know of at least one white person who frequents black hair salons because her hair is so curly most standard salons can't cut and style it properly. They certainly don't treat her differently and appreciate the patronage. That said, they would probably advise a white person with straight hair to go elsewhere--not because they're racist, but because their specialty is in very curly hair (and they may not be much good at cutting straight hair).

There are also cultural things like hair weaves, which are very common in the black community but still rare among other races (although more common now than in the past), and thus are much more likely to be found in salons catering primarily to black customers.
Absolutely true. I went to a cosmetology vocational school during high school, before I realized that I couldn't cut hair evenly for beans and decided to learn how to type so I couldn't damage anyone's appearance. Out of 12 girls in the class, only one was black, and we all had to experiment on the poor girl because AA hair has to be handled differently. Often, doing what white people do to their hair can cause drying and breakage. We also learned to use the hot irons, which would damage the usual white person's hair.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:13 AM

1 posts, read 3,567 times
Smile Thank u salonfemi

My experience @ salonfemi was fantastic my hair never looked and felt this good--my boyfriend recommended me to salonfemi. I had low expectations but to my surprise the whole experience was amazing-Kenya & her staff was so so nice. I will definetly recommend salon!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey