Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 07:02 AM

15 posts, read 28,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazin09 View Post
I think murray Hill also allows non resident parking. Did you look into the Lakeland bus as an option?
I'll take a look at New Providence. Do you know if there is a waiting list for non resident permits? Someone told me that I can't get a permit at this point.

Is there parking by the Berkeley Heights bus stop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 08:51 AM

934 posts, read 1,063,209 times
Grew up in BH. Never commuted, but went to the city quite often and I always drove to Summit and took the train out of there. Parking notwithstanding, it's also faster to do that as the trains run more frequently and you don't have to transfer.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:07 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,610,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jingming View Post
Agree. We loved the house we purchased and the neighborhood is great. However, we were close to not pursuing it just because of parking.
You would think we Port Authority making money hand over fist they would address this situation, as it would lead to more ridership, and more money. I have never heard of a project addressing this.

They would be better off closing smaller stations with limited or no parking to create lines and having several much larger stations with parking for 2 to 3 thousand cars, this would create a more express route to NYC.

Old 06-12-2014, 01:05 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,455,142 times
Quote:
I'll take a look at New Providence. Do you know if there is a waiting list for non resident permits? Someone told me that I can't get a permit at this point.

Is there parking by the Berkeley Heights bus stop?
Don't waste your time looking at the New Providence station, their lot is by permit only, and permits are sold to town residents only. Your best bet is the Murry Hill station (located in the town of NP) here is a website that will give you more info... New Providence, NJ If all 40 of the available non resident permits have been taken already, the $7 daily spots which apparently there are some always available is less than Summit's $10/day.

This site gives excellent info with regards to available parking at NJT stations, New Jersey Transit

KoalaNJ

Old 06-12-2014, 06:01 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,111,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
What a joke..

Port Authority is making over a billion a year and we don't have parking at the stations...
Parking is largely controlled by local towns. Who on average aren't interested in providing more parking than their local residents need. The revenue is not significant, and no one wants the additional traffic in their town.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:43 PM

15 posts, read 28,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by designer_genes View Post
Grew up in BH. Never commuted, but went to the city quite often and I always drove to Summit and took the train out of there. Parking notwithstanding, it's also faster to do that as the trains run more frequently and you don't have to transfer.
Thanks for the advice. That's why I was thinking summit. The schedule from summit is fairly frequent. However, worried that the cost will add
up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
Don't waste your time looking at the New Providence station, their lot is by permit only, and permits are sold to town residents only. Your best bet is the Murry Hill station (located in the town of NP) here is a website that will give you more info... New Providence, NJ If all 40 of the available non resident permits have been taken already, the $7 daily spots which apparently there are some always available is less than Summit's $10/day.

This site gives excellent info with regards to available parking at NJT stations, New Jersey Transit

KoalaNJ
Thank you. I'll call NP about the Murray hill station tomorrow. The station is not too far from my future house.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. That's why I was thinking summit. The schedule from summit is fairly frequent. However, worried that the cost will add up.
I wonder if that would be offset somewhat by the fact that the actual cost of the fare from Summit is less than from BH. I don't know how that translates to commuter passes though and if it actually ends up being an appreciable difference. Just a thought.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:48 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,253,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by designer_genes View Post
I wonder if that would be offset somewhat by the fact that the actual cost of the fare from Summit is less than from BH. I don't know how that translates to commuter passes though and if it actually ends up being an appreciable difference. Just a thought.
The monthly ticket from BH is $308, the monthly from Summit is $273. So yes it's cheaper, but what kills my coworker is the cost of the $10/day parking at Summit - it's almost as much as the cost of the train ticket each month. I read somewhere that the annual cost of the BH permit is around $250; a lot cheaper for each month.

Last edited by arrieros81; 06-13-2014 at 07:58 AM..

Old 06-13-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
The monthly ticket from BH is $308, the monthly from Summit is $273. So yes it's cheaper, but what kills my coworker is the cost of the $10/day parking at Summit - it's almost as much as the cost of the train ticket each month. I read somewhere that the annual cost of the BH permit is around $250; a lot cheaper for each month.
Ah yes, okay that makes sense. Obviously doesn't make it worth it then. That said, there are free parking lots in Summit. You'd just have to walk from the lot to the train station. It really isn't that far of a walk and if you're a commuter getting there early enough, you may get a spot. That's what I always did whenever I took the train into the city. There is also a parking garage near the train station. I don't know what the monthly rates for that are.

Old 06-14-2014, 07:54 AM

124 posts, read 170,937 times
Quote:
Thanks for the advice. That's why I was thinking summit. The schedule from summit is fairly frequent. However, worried that the cost will add
up.

Thank you. I'll call NP about the Murray hill station tomorrow. The station is not too far from my future house.
Thinking of buying a house in the Berkeley Heights area as well. The train waiting list is a huge sticking point for me as I'll be heading to the city every day. Can you please tell me what you find out? Insane that the new residents have to wait at least 3 years for a spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey