Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2014, 12:10 PM

8 posts, read 10,970 times

Advertisements

I am moving to take a job in the NY/NJ area. My situation is somewhat unusual that my workplace is located in Summit, NJ, but I'll be there only one day a week. The rest of the time, I'll either be flying out of the area on Monday, or going to work in the general area around Summit and New York City.

I am thinking of looking for apartments on the Morris and Essex line. That would enable me to get to the city as well as Summit easily. Right?

I have family in the Edison, NJ area, and want to consider it, but it seems like getting from Edison to Summit via public transportation is difficult. I don't want to depend on a route that involves two buses.

I do have a car, but do not want to use it to commute to work, so it'll only be used on the weekends for groceries and stuff.

Where are you coming from?
Suburb northwest of Philly.

Why are you moving?
Taking a new job.

Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC?
Work location is highly variable. Definitely one day (only one) a week in Summit, NJ. Otherwise, either flying out on Monday and returning on Thursday night, OR, working in the NYC/NJ area.

Will you buy or rent?
Rent. One bed-room apartment.

What is your budget ?
~$1500, can go up.

What kind of place are you looking for ?
Clean, safe. No interest in nightlife, bars, and stuff like that (I'm pretty boring).

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ?
No.

Do you need/want good public schools?
No.

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
Safe and clean, with great access to public transportation.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance:
optimized location with regards to my unusual work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 01:21 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,853,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by informant123 View Post
I am moving to take a job in the NY/NJ area. My situation is somewhat unusual that my workplace is located in Summit, NJ, but I'll be there only one day a week. The rest of the time, I'll either be flying out of the area on Monday, or going to work in the general area around Summit and New York City.

I am thinking of looking for apartments on the Morris and Essex line. That would enable me to get to the city as well as Summit easily. Right?

I have family in the Edison, NJ area, and want to consider it, but it seems like getting from Edison to Summit via public transportation is difficult. I don't want to depend on a route that involves two buses.

I do have a car, but do not want to use it to commute to work, so it'll only be used on the weekends for groceries and stuff.

Where are you coming from?
Suburb northwest of Philly.

Why are you moving?
Taking a new job.

Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC?
Work location is highly variable. Definitely one day (only one) a week in Summit, NJ. Otherwise, either flying out on Monday and returning on Thursday night, OR, working in the NYC/NJ area.

Will you buy or rent?
Rent. One bed-room apartment.

What is your budget ?
~$1500, can go up.

What kind of place are you looking for ?
Clean, safe. No interest in nightlife, bars, and stuff like that (I'm pretty boring).

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ?
No.

Do you need/want good public schools?
No.

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
Safe and clean, with great access to public transportation.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance:
optimized location with regards to my unusual work.

I would seriously consider Edison.

Edison to Summit - NorthEast Corridor Line to Secaucus, change at Secaucus for train to Summit. About 1 1/2 trip.

I wouldn't advise doing it 5 days a week, but if it's only once per week & allows you to live near family than it may work out for you.

Getting from Edison to Newark Airport (assuming you'll be flying out of NWK) is easy. The train from Edison takes you right to Newark Airport. Only 3 stops on some trains (a few extra stops in between on some others.)

The Edison train also goes into Penn Station in NYC.

www.njtransit.com for train schedules. There's also a "trip planner" function & a "service near a location" function that is helpful.

Welcome to NJ.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:43 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,748,737 times
When you work in Summit will it be right near the train station? You may still need to drive.

Old 06-15-2014, 08:42 PM

400 posts, read 793,764 times
Do you have a car to get around if you need, such as, to see family?

What about Summit itself? Your budget fits it. You have the train station right there which takes 45 minutes to get into NY Penn. And you can easily get to the airport within 15 minutes (granted during off peak hours). It's also not so bad of a drive from Edison that you can't see family and friends often.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:08 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,030,084 times
As samanthayakobchuk mentioned, why not look into Summit itself? Granted you said nightlife is not a concern, it's still a pretty decent downtown with a lot more dining options than most towns can present. And it'll make any of your noted commutes pretty manageable.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:44 AM

8 posts, read 10,970 times
Many thanks for the advice!

Yes, I'd love to live within walking distance of the Morris and Essex line. Can anyone please recommend specific apartment complexes?

I'm looking at ~$1500/month for a one-bedroom, but can go a littler higher, if warranted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey