Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 07:57 PM

3 posts, read 10,167 times

Advertisements

Every time we speak about the schools in Ridgewood, people we know tell us how wonderful and special they are. We are in the process of looking for a home in Bergen County...so that we can move out of NYC...and one of our main motivations is to get a great public school education for our son.

Our son is only 3. But, as much as you can tell from a 3 year old, he is a very bright child who is interested in learning about pretty much anything. So we are looking for a school district that will have a strong basis in academics, as well as other enriching activities, such as an emphasis on music, the arts, sports, and other types of creative programing...as well as an active talented and gifted program.

We know that the NJ higher education system is having tough times. And we also want to make sure that we are investing in a public school system that will not be cutting these "additional" programs in the future.

We saw a house in Hillsdale that we are excited about. We know that the Hillsdale schools have a good reputation. But with everything we keep hearing about the Ridgewood schools, we are wondering if we should hold out...and if we might be happier there.

We would appreciate thoughts and feedback from anyone in the know.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 08:47 PM

595 posts, read 1,559,812 times
it willl not make a difference and by the time your son gets old enough...who knows which schools will be the best..it changes all the time. a good school is a good school is a good school

Old 03-19-2012, 07:12 AM

88,624 posts, read 84,875,076 times
I don't think you're really going to find any really BAD schools in Bergen County. Yes, Ridgewood consistently performs, but there are other schools that are still very good, although, as Seduflow pointed out, they can vary over the years. There's no way of telling what a given high school will be like in 11 years when your son gets there. And in the end, the best school system in the state is only as good as what the students put into to their own education.

Hillsdale is a nice, community-minded town. I have a couple of friends who grew up there. If you really like the house, then go for it.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:12 AM

667 posts, read 1,745,240 times
Both are well rated programs. Hillsdale is considerably smaller at 1/3 of the size of Ridgewood, so that may give you the intimacy that you like with Hillsdale?

However, Ridgewood is one of the most sough out neighborhoods in NJ for a variety of reasons. So it really comes down to what feels right for your family and what you can afford. But as far as education is concerned you won't have a problem in either town. Stop by the towns during the week and speak to the SAHM in the area and get their take. No one will be able to tell you with certainty what programs will be cut in the coming years. But I can almost assure you based on the parent/teacher support in these areas, parents will find a solution or fight hard to maintain as many services (educational) as possible.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:41 AM

34 posts, read 200,338 times
My kids went to Ridgewood schools, as did I. I/we were very happy with the schools. Ridgewood indeed has a reputation that is well-known, so I found that when my kids had interviews/applications out for colleges, seeing Ridgewood on the paperwork got attention. Whether the education is that much different in similar towns is debatable of course, but the reputation is there regardless.
Hillsdale also has good schools and is a very nice town; my only hesitation is that it (correct me if I am wrong) does not have its own high school. Isn't it part of a regional high school? I'm not saying that is bad but look into it... I know some people who have not been happy with regional schools that encompass several towns, so you might want to talk to people about it.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:14 PM

Default Thank you so much...

for all of your responses! I was so happy to hear your thoughts. And I am grateful for the time you took to post your responses!

One question -- what is SAHM?

We will be going back to take another look at the home on Wednesday...and I will try to visit the school sometime soon as well, to see if I can get a better sense of things there as well.

Many thanks!

Old 03-20-2012, 05:53 AM

88,624 posts, read 84,875,076 times
SAHM - Stay At Home Mother

Old 03-20-2012, 09:28 AM

Ah! Stay at home mother! Thank you!

Yes, I will certainly do that as well!

Old 03-21-2012, 11:56 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,152,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynW676 View Post
My kids went to Ridgewood schools, as did I. I/we were very happy with the schools. Ridgewood indeed has a reputation that is well-known, so I found that when my kids had interviews/applications out for colleges, seeing Ridgewood on the paperwork got attention. Whether the education is that much different in similar towns is debatable of course, but the reputation is there regardless.
Hillsdale also has good schools and is a very nice town; my only hesitation is that it (correct me if I am wrong) does not have its own high school. Isn't it part of a regional high school? I'm not saying that is bad but look into it... I know some people who have not been happy with regional schools that encompass several towns, so you might want to talk to people about it.
Hillsdale students attend Pascack Valley High School along with students from River Vale.

For what it's worth, New Jersey Monthly in 2010 ranked Ridgewood High 20th and Pascack Valley 23rd in the state. Not much difference!

2010 Top High Schools in New Jersey | High School Rankings | High School Ratings

Old 03-22-2012, 07:18 PM

123 posts, read 568,550 times
Both are great districts. You would be fine sending your son to either one. Even with Hillsdale being part of a regional high school, it is still smaller than Ridgewood. It really depends on preference for the town you will be living in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: